I was reading about melanoma in this women's magazine that I read quite regularly and it said something about melanoma. I know that this is skin cancer caused by the sun and irresponsible behavior in the sun, but can melanoma create lung metastases? I would be quite interested in hearing more about how this works?

Hi there! I read the same thing. I read that melanoma is the most aggressive and metastatic form of skin cancer. Melanoma uses body's immune system to spread to lungs. Apparently, after primary tumor treatment, 30% of patients with malignant melanoma develop metastatic disease, usually associated with a poor prognosis. Despite the impressive therapeutic advances that have been made during the last three decades for early stage melanoma, prognosis of metastatic disease remains poor. Chemotherapy and biotherapy have demonstrated only partial clinical response. The regimens, either alone or in combination, are usually difficult to tolerate and dramatically impact on patients' quality of life and provide little, if any, proven survival benefit. It's not comforting at all. :-(