Hi, folks. My grandmother has been diagnosed with skin melanoma. I know this is a form of skin cancer and that prognosis is serious. I would like to know how it is treated effectively. Can anyone tell me something more? All info here will be more than welcomed. Thank you in advance.

When it comes to the cancer treatment, it all depends on a cancer stage. If it is early staged melanoma, then surgery is the best option. Surgical excision should solve all. Very thin melanoma can be entirely removed and no further treatment will be required. If they are more aggressive, then a part of healthy skin should be removed. If we are talking about advanced stage, then surgery will probably be combined with radiotherapy or chemotherapy. Chemotherapy uses drugs to destroy cancer cells and stop their spreading. Radiotherapy uses high energy X rays for the same purpose. Both of these therapies have many side effects. I hope your grandmother will be all right.