For a few years now, predominantly in the summer, I have felt a pressure on my head as if someone is pressing down with the palm of their hand. It is just above the forehead. I have occasionally felt dizzy spells and occasionally have slight nausea.

This year it started while on holiday and I had been in the sun a great deal. I have wondered if it might be sunstroke, dehydration, or lack of salt, but it does seem to last about two or three months each year fairly regularly day to day. I have been back in the office for a couple of days now so I have been out of the sun and eating more regularly. The pressure and sickness seems to be a bit worse today.

Additionally, a couple of years ago it got a bit worse and at one stage I had a slight sensation of liquid spurting out within my head beneath where the pressure was. I think at the time I was fairly stressed out about the pressure so figured that may have caused me to believe I felt the spurting sensation.

Last year I saw a doctor about it who recommended I see an optician. I had my eyes tested and found I had very slight eyestrain. I was told I didn't need glasses, but due to my job with computers and the amount of driving I do I was told I could get glasses to ease any strain. The glasses do not seem to have had much of an effect.

I would appreciate any advice. I plan to see a doctor but unfortunately I have a busy lifestyle which makes it hard to arrange an appointment.

I'm normally very calm and relaxed, although I probably do suffer from some stress due to work and other commitments. There is also a history of high blood pressure within my fathers side of the family, but not too major.

Thanks

Hi pfeds, your story is exactly what i have been dealing with for the past 3 years as well, i would have slight nausea only flaring up in the summer time, and i would have it daily. The second year it happened in the spring tiem while i was in Florida on vacation then it persisted for the rest of that summer. This summer i am dealing with pressure on my head and slight dizzy spells but also feeling off balance mainly. I am going to my doctor next week to demand a CT scan to rule out anything. I too am a calm, quiet individual with just everyday normal stress. It is very frustrating not knowing what it is. I'm thinking that mabe it could be related to an inner ear problem from going swimming in the summer? Does that make any sense to you? let me know how you're feeling.

I had almost the exact same symptons. I got up at work one day and felt dizzy/off balance, I had it for about a week then it went away and came back, then it felt like pressure on my head and liquid spilling on my head. Now off and on for about a year I have had the off balance feelings. Have been in for mri/ct nothing comes back. I have no idea. I think it is some type of virus/infection that flares up.

Did any of you two have any luck? I still suffer from this. I tried glasses as I work with computers so figured that could be the issue. It didn't help. I stare at a machine all day and then get in the car and drive a long way home, so thought it could be a short focus, long focus issue. I've asked a few doctors but they all seem to palm me off with this saying it's probably stress or eye strain.

I thought I was crazy, but I feel the same pressure on top of my head, feeling off balance and occasionally bouts of nausea. I did go to the doctor. I had blood work done the previous month (I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol, which is under control with medication). He did not find anything wrong with any of my blood tests. The only thing that he found was my right ear was "muddy" looking. Which apparently was only slightly off normal, because he didn't treat me for it. The doctor did give me something for vertigo. When I first took the medicine (meclizine), I thought it was taken care of. But it is still occuring randomly. I had been monitoring my blood pressure and pulse, which seemed lower than normal for me, but was high at the doctor's office. So, I am still not sure of the real cause. I do spend a lot of time in the sun. I'm really tired of feeling like I'm walking on a boat.

Since last summer, (I live in a very hot and humid environment) I've had undiagnosed inner ear problems. They are undiagnosed because no one has ever been able to figure out what is going on.
My symptoms gradually get worse over time and gradually fade as summertime pases. My symptoms start out as nausea, loud uncontrollable burping, slight heartburn, feeling like I will pass out (cold chills and lightheaded), headaches, dizziness, losing control of balance, fatigue and pressure in the ears. I've noticed that if I get any water in my ears (from bathing) the symptoms progress rapidly and become very strong (along with muffled hearing).
I've had my hearing tested, eye-sight tested, ears looked at, and my allergies are under control through medication, everything short of an MRI. I am perfectly healthy except for my phantom symptoms that come and go.
I am starting to suffer again this summer and don't know where to turn. I am becoming frustrated, depressed and have lost hope that any doctor can help me.

Sounds to me like you have either high blood pressure and/or migraines. Both of which I have had. Exercise eliminated it.

I've had exactly the same symptoms for the last year, Feeling off balance (the thing that most irritates me), Dizziness, pressure on the top of my head which sometimes becomes very painful when I exert myself, my eye sight is affected some of the time, slight nausea most days, and more recently, the back of my neck becomes very tense throughout the day, but I think that is because I'm trying to keep my balance, my neck and shoulders grind and crack quite badly, though I'm only 26, and when I'm walking I get this strange feeling that occasionally shoots up from my foot to my head, which feels like my brain has momentarily switched off, which does scare me, I've also had glue ear within this time and think I might have it again, maybe that makes it worse? My GP has suggested anxiety in the past but then admitted that though I suffer some of the physical symptoms, he can see no evidence of the mental symptoms (surely anxiety is a mental condition?), He also asked if Id taken any illegal substances, and doubted me when I replied "No", which was incredibly frustrating! though I do smoke 20 cigarettes a day, and drink alcohol (within the recommended weekly limit) It started August last year, wasn't too bad over Christmas and is back to it's peak again this August. It's starting to affect my work too much now, and makes it hard to enjoy my free time, would love a solution, if anyone can help.

I have had the same symptoms as many of you: off balance, dizziness, a floating sensation inside my head when lying down to sleep, tingling sensations and pressure on top of the head, which by the way, makes it difficult to sleep. I have had no pain, but I am very uncomfortable. I too am chained to my desk for 8-10 hours a day, getting away from the computer only to use the bathroom. I 've had these symptoms to recur over the past 20 years. The symptoms usually go away in 1-3 months. I'm currently taking Meclizine. I thinks it helps some, but It seems to make me irritable. I've had an MRI, ENG, thyroid, B-12, and other lab tests. Everything is normal. At least, So the doctors say. I am a healthy 35 year old who is tired of playing guessing games with my body and doctors. I know when I am feeling normal, but this is far from normal. When I was 11 years old, I was hit in the center-back of the head with a small brick. I did not lose conciousness, just a little blood and some of my hair. I never went to an ER to see about it. I wonder could these symptoms be a result of some kind of nerve damage in the head? I still have an indentation in my head from the injury. Meanwhile, I am determined to LIVE in spite of this mysterious affliction. Please be encouraged. This will not last always.:-D

i have the exact same thing, pressure on top of my head and kinda dizzy and just a sense that things arent right, they thought it was my sinuses but ive had surgery done on them and now the ENT says everything is healed but i still have the pressure. It came when i took my first flight on a plane about a year ago now. Please let me know if there is anything that can cure me, im only 22 years old and this is really startin to get to me.

Has anyone had any luck with this yet ?

I too have been suffering from these symptoms for nearly three years ..
Most days i just suffer from a wierd sensation across the middle of the top of my head which is hard to discribe , it either feels like pressure on my head or light headedness. Some days i dont feel it at all. But this year its seems a bit worse ive also been gettin like pricking sensations in deifferent part of my head not always painfull just annoying more than anything. Ive also started getting pulsating sentations in the sides of my head about an inch or so up from ears and my ears especially my right ear keep getting the sensation you get right before they pop .. only my ear dont pop but just go a bit muffled. Headaches wise I dont get many but they do affect the back of my eyes .. most of my head and also the top of my neck which are similar to migranes i used to suffer from as a child but not as servere in pain and without the other side effects such as tunnel vision etc.
This week I too have also experienced the feeling of liquid spurting on my head.

This might seem strange to most people but the feeling is so strange i wear a cap becuase it seems to dumb down the feeling.

Another thing is that this seems to have started about a year or too after I was diagnosed with borderline high blood pressure but in these last 3 years i dont remember having it checked. And from the time this started and up till now ive been using pcs everday , some days up to 8 hrs .

I even went to docs earlier this year becuase the nausea and pressure feeling were so bad that i though my head was going to explode . the doctor told me that Id had a stomache bug which moved to my head resulting in the pressurse and pulsating of the ears and this was when i first expericence this pricking pains in my head , I explained these sensatations i have been experiencing and she checked my eyes thoat , ears and then performed a physical test to determine if there was any wrong with my brain function and told me its highly unlikely there was anything wrong with my brain. she must have been partly right because within a week I felt alot better I was back to having just the pressure / lightheadedness sensations but as ive said .. its now feeling worse again.

Horrible dizziness, pressure on top of my head like a force was pushing me to the ground. Could barely lift my arms. I thought I was having a mini stroke. Doctor's diagnosis for me was "Labyrinthitis", an inner ear disturbance. I did research online to educated myself. The doctor suggested I stay off my feet for a day and prescribed Meclizine 25mg. I'm think it's the exact same drug as Bonine, an over-the-counter medication often used for sea sickness. Both drugs make me sleepy. After a day of rest, I can usually make myself walk around some and get back on my feet. Doctor would not let me drive for one week. It's only happend to me a few times in the last 4 years, but now I'm not so freaked out about it. The first time, I was 48 and just beginning perimenopause.

I too am experiencing all of these symptoms. Anyone experiencing excessive thirst or the the feeling that their tongue is dried out? I get more of a cold metallic feeling through the top of my head, feels like an elephant standing on chest and the weirdest of all...belching. The pressure on my head is annoying. Glad to know I'm not completely crazy. Just wish someone could figure out the cause.

I have had all the same symptoms for over the past few months. The past few days it has intensified to where it been so intolerable, so at midnight my husband and I traveled to E.R. had a c.t. done found nothing! The pressure ,and light headaches are still bad I wanted no drugs just want to know what the problem is! I am a fitness trainer and stay in shape. At some points I have a concern if I amn going to survive the nights. Any ideas of what this could be, please HELP. Because the Doctors have no soluton!!

It has made me feel better to read some of your symptoms. I've been dealing with this for the past week and my symptoms are gone in the morning but come back as the day goes on. I can't sleep at all. I feel the pressure on the top of my head but only when I lie down and try to go to sleep. when I lie down it feels like a wave pours over my head and causes diziness and pressure. It's worse when I lie on my right side. I hit my head over my right ear about 5 weeks ago so I'm wondering if it could be delayed head injury symptoms from that. Here are my basic symptoms:
- Diziness but more like pressure and imbalance then room spinning diziness
- Can't go to sleep or stay asleep because it will wake me up and I also wake up kinda of short of breath. Kind of like you woke up suddenly because someone made a loud noise
- I feel sinus pressure in my face and am congested and also just got over a sinus infection about 3 weeks ago.
- The symptoms really only present when I lie down or try to sleep which i"m not tired because I haven't been working out and I think my brain is keeping me awake because it doesn't like how it feels when i lie down :-)
- I was nauseated but that has subsided for now which is great because I'm actually eating.

I'm goign to the ENT tomorrow morning and will take it from there but the lack of sleep and not knowing what's going on is klling me. I've had 3 blood tests, all normal and I do not have high blood pressure. ANy thoughts, help would be so greatly appreciatged.

Thanks,
Meg