hello everyone, im 28 and im a codeine addict from past 8-9 years. i have been tripping on codeine phosphate cough syrups that contain 10mg of codeine phosphate IP. for the first couple of years, i used to take 3-4 bottles daily. then in subsequent years i reduced to a bottle daily but i cant reduce it further more and neither could withdraw from it., even when i really want to. i have withdrawn from all other past addictions i had from drugs like brown sugar, and other drug abuses containing Nitrazepam, Dextropropoxyphene, Dicyclomine etc. we have also informed our family doctor for the codeine addiction and he has been prescribing medicines like ection and sleeping pills like insonia. he also advised me to dilute the syrup before consuming it. but none of it is helping right now. the strange part is that i can withdraw from it for a few days even for around a week but then ill have to keep sleeping, all those days. i have to sleep endlessly, only waking up sometimes for having my meals. and no matter, for how many days i sleep, it doesnt help me withdraw from its use because i only get active enough to wake up when i take another dose and then the same routine starts again. i have tried a lot of other emotional and mental exercise and have taken advice from many addicts who have finally withdrawn from its use. they continuously ask me to search for something i love doing the most but the problem is, i dont enjoy anything without having the drug. now-a-days i dont even enjoy anything after taking it but it has become a necessity and i feel like a slave to it. please help me get free from it.

Okay kiddo, what about seeking inpatient treatment? If you want to seriously stop the cycle you really need to be in some sort of program for addiction. Fairbanks treatment center in Indianapolis IN is an excellent program!  What about Suboxone, or Naltoxene injection been there done that. Until you are completely off the meds you will not feel normal, nor will you begin to feel normal for about a year after you have detoxed. I realize this is not what you want to hear. Remember you have done a real number on your body. I have been off opiates since 11/03/06 and am grateful for all who have helped family, sponsor, and Doctor. Honestly speaking figure out why your doing what your doing, that is the key, your trying to avoid something or someone emotionally numbing yourself with the meds.  Admitting you have a problem is the first step, but its a long road after that, and most family dr's aren't addictionologist and don't understand us. They want to push us off and ignore us, hoping we will go away. The power of the mind and positive thinking is a strong thing, you can do this, I have faith in you, it takes guts to post on here and ask questions. I hope this helps and that my am conveying my thoughts properly. Remember nothing changes if nothing changes. and as they say in NA it works if you work it! You are in my prayers. Be grateful for the fact you have gotten this far!

Amy

AmaDuh wrote:

Try cold turkey then tell me you aren't withdrawing... you have to stop taking all narcotics.... you need inpatient therapy. a specialist. seek a specialist.

sir u need to see a psychiatrist or psychologist to Kick ur habit.But 8 yrs is too long a time and it might be not too long when u will develop a mental illness and be subjected to antipsychotics all ur life apart from fu...g ur kidneys.