I take suboxone. the daily amount varies"between 2mg to 4 mgs a day"i live a normal life only my close friends and family know or have any idea i take them. i have a good job, though i work 60ish hours a week. im moving up the corp. chain of appleshmees dont want to tarnish the brand name. or at least don't want to get sued for it but yes it is your friendly neighborhood bar and grill. i make 40 to 50 grand a year depending on bonuses. the reason i tell you this is to show i'm leading a good normal life now. its just that if i don't take my medicine i get sick,really sick and if i didnt have insurace my treatment and meds would cost a fortune. I have taken Suboxone daily for 3 to 2.5 years, can't quite remember when i started. i am prescribed legally by a doctor. i no longer have cravings for other opiates. i no longer feel any kind of high off the sub. but i just cant stop taking them. the withdraw isnt as strong as regular opiates but its a good 65 to 75 percent as bad. also instead of 3 days or even 2 weeks of withdraw "like with oxys or other pain killers" its a month or more if you take it longer than 1.5 to 3 weeks it varies for each person. now if you want to get past the withdraw of say oxys "my personal past D.O.C." you could take at most 4mgs of suboxone a day for 3 days then work your way down to nothing "cutting the dosage down each day" over the next 4 or 5 days. this will get u past the worst of the withdraw. youll still have cravings but if ur serious about getting sober u will deal with it. some doctors will try to get u to say on the for much longer, say a few months or even years like me. but if u do, youll be trading in one addiction for another one, one that has a much much much longer withdraw. and this withdraw u cant just get through taking a week off work and dealing with it u will be taking A MONTH OR MORE. if u want to be able to function some what normally or for that matter just not so damn tired and uncomfortable. the reason im writing this at 230am in the morning is i had the urge to share this with the random people who stumble across this web page to WARN them. THIS IS A WARNING, if youre serious about getting off opiates suboxone is a fine way to get through the initial WD " that means short term use, that means 1 to 1.5 weeks max" but if u like the way it feels and think hey this doc will write me legal scripts as long as my insurance is good and i can get high, with out worrying about it. you r wrong because the time will come where ur not high any more and u just have to take the stuff just to be normal. u will want to quit eventually but good luck getting a month or more off work to curl up in a horribly uncomfortable ball crying and shivering your self NOT to sleep. This is the life i live. i tried to stop once. i lasted 2 and a half weeks and the withdraw was still getting worse so i gave in and went back to subs. I cant just quit my job and f up my credit and put my family into crazy amounts of debit because of my stupid mistakes. yeah they might understand and support me but will i be able to deal with the guilt of that. Please PLEASE please consider these warnings before taking suboxone. It could work with the right support on a very short term basis but don't trade a illegal addiction for a legal one, DON"T LIE TO YOUR SELF, ONE MORE TIME, DON"T LIE TO YOUR SELF. after a while youll see the chains and realize youre even more trapped than u were before, a slave now not just to a drug but also to those money grubbing doctors. I wish someone had told me this when i foolishly thought i had found the answers to my problem with op addiction. a legal high'////'AFTER AWHILE IT DOESN'T GET U HIGH ANYMORE BUT BELEIVE ME YOULL STILL WITHDRAW IF U DONT TAKE IT"///// that is Disguised as a treatment program. DONT DO IT AND IF U HAVE TO DONT LET YOUR SELF DO IT FOR LONG.it can work but u better be damn careful and have some strong support or youll end up like me. Thats it, let me know if u have any questions about subs and ill give it to u straight, i wont fill ur head with false notions of how easy it is and will be during or after sub use. from the high to the withdraw ive got the answers. not sure what else to say but good luck if youre quitting and be Fing careful if ur starting!
PS I used oxys recreationaly they were never prescribed. but i would take the with draw from them any day over suboxone withdraw. its not about the intensedy its about the length of time it takes to get through the wd.
END
JdO

I am also a Suboxone user -- 8 mg, 2 x per day -- for the past month.  I've read a great deal on this forum criticizing "money grubbing doctors" for prescribing the drug long term and users themselves for using the drug "too long" (whatever that means) or in too great a dosage (again, whatever that means). 

I'm 60 years old and a long-time opiate addict.  My DOC was Dilaudid but I also used Heroin, Fentanyl patches, morphine, or really, any opiate I could get my hands on.  I've had literally dozens of very painful, infected cysts from skin popping Dilaudid and Heroin (I'm not very good at IV use; could never get a decent vein), I've had blackouts that caused car accidents and hugely embarrassing confrontations with family members and co-workers, and I've lost one car, two marriages, and a couple of jobs to my addiction as well.  I've been in and out of various forms of therapy (four or five treatment facilities and two Methadone maintenance therapy attempts) -- my life has basically been a hellish series of agonizing withdrawal symptoms, trips to the hospital to incise and drain massive cysts that developed from infected injection sites, and behavior that compromised and/or destroyed my relationships with family, friends, and co-workers.

This account of my use/abuse history is provided so that it should be very clear that I had/have a serious problem with opiate drugs and have not had much success staying clean for any appreciable length of time.  I went on Suboxone therapy because I had bottomed out (again) and did not want to go through the agony of withdrawal and the subsequent bout with moderate to severe depression that I experienced the last time I tried to quit (six years ago).  While exchanging one addiction for another may not be an ideal arrangement, I'm absolutely delighted with my experience on Suboxone and am considering staying on it for the rest of my life.  Again, it's difficult to advocate for continuing to be an addict, but it's extremely important to realize that there is a HUGE difference between between a daily Suboxone user and a Dilaudid addict.  For one thing, it is impossible to inject Suboxone -- if you did, you would go into immediate, agonizing withdrawal -- so I never have to worry about having to be treated for staph infections on my skin, cellulitis, or blood poisoning.  I also don't have to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars a month on my habit -- I spend $20 a month on my Suboxone prescription so there's no frantic phone calls to dealers at all hours of the day and night trying to find my drug of choice for $10 a pill or more.  And most important, I now have a desire to live again -- at the lowest point of my addiction, I was doing nothing but lying around in bed between injections, watching TV for 7 or 8 hours a day, and I had no interest in bathing, brushing my teeth, etc.  Now I actually look forward to each day and enjoy doing little things like taking my dog for a walk, visiting with my kids, and taking good care of myself -- I enjoy getting cleaned up and dressing nicely instead of just lying around, waiting to die.  (As a side note, I also attend classes at my HMO designed for addicts/alcoholics who have psych issues and I plan to start attending NA meetings as well.)

So maybe my situation isn't ideal, and I'm not suggesting that Suboxone is the perfect cure for every addict.  But taking into consideration my age, my many relapses, and my general state of health, I think this is a solution I can live with.  And if that means living with it indefinitely, so be it. 

Hey everyone.
I have been reading on these forums for about 5 days or more. I have been on pain pills of all kinds for at least 8 years. Started with lortabs then tried to get off after about 3 years of that with sub. My pain doc gave me 10 and told me I wouldn't withdraw when done. Yeah rt. I did. So I stayed sober bout 2 months with help of ultram and they say that u don't get withdraw from that. Yeah rt again. So I relapsed for a while got tired of it so got subs off street for a year and half then decided to quit from 1/4 pill of 8 mg. totally sucked ass. So I went 2 weeks sober. Couldn't handle it so once again I relapsed with bigger and better pills. I'm sure y'all know what talkin bout. On and of subs. Went on a visious cycle for awhile recently started goin to pain management doc and he gives me fricken 8 mg dilidaude. Wow was that not good cuz I abused them for 2 weeks at a script of 150 yep I knew I would do it so I know myself and I went back on my appt. told him I don't want it anymore and he gave me 60 subs a month ago and I'm weened down to literally crumbs. It's hard at 1st but that's the only way I know how. I read people used milk thistle for liver detox and Gatorade. Vitamin b and I got some anxiety and sleep vitamins from health food store cuz that c**p eat Walmart is junk. Health food vitamins absorb better in ur body faster. Well today I started talking them and feel way better on everything I listed above. Hopefully it doesn't get bad. Cuz I'm in it for the long haul. I have so much goin for me now and don't want to mess up with blowing my money on pills. I have power jn prayer and people backing me up with good advice. Oh a take hot showers and bathes. I hope this helps some peeps

Hello am really needin to talk to u as a suboxone user.

Can I help you?

Hi Jans,
You are the classic reason why Suboxone exists. It is ok to stay on as long as you are can. You have led an anxious life and if you are able to relax and enjoy life taking Suboxone, I say GO FOR IT and don't EVER apologize.

I personally think it is poison and should never have been put on it in the first place. But that is me. You do what you have to do.

Poison? I think not. As the saying goes, "one man's meat is another man's poison," and for me -- as for hundreds of thousands of others -- Suboxone has been an absolute lifesaver. As with all medications, it depends upon how it is used. Suboxone CAN be abused; I would never argue that statement. Users who have a limited experience with opiates/opioids can and do get high on it and although it has limited appeal as a street drug, there are sellers and buyers out there. This is because people who aren't regular users of large quantities of "high octane" drugs like Percocet, Dilaudid, etc., CAN get high on Suboxone...For someone like me, a former addict who injected upon to 50 mg of Dilaudid a day, Suboxone just makes me mildly drowsy. It also eliminates about 90 percent of the cravings for other narcotics and allows me to live a normal life. Before Suboxone, I was depressed, physically ill with cellulitis and countless sores at injection sites, I wasn't working, my daughter was about to move out of our house, and I was barely able to get out of bed. Following medical treatment which included an Rx for Suboxone, I regained my self-respect and overcame my depression, my daughter and I mended our relationship, and I now have two very fulfilling part time jobs...A lot of people like to remind me that I am still an addict. The way I see it, I am "addicted" to a drug that is saving my life. If an individual was taking anti rejection drugs to prevent his body from rejecting a transplanted organ, would you call him an addict for taking those drugs daily? How about those who take Insulin, antiretroviral drugs used in the treatment of HIV infection, etc.? ... The time may come when I decide to taper off this medication with the ultimate goal of discontinuing it, but I am in no hurry. I was a hard core addict for nearly 15 years and I never, EVER want to do anything that would risk losing the life that I have now. For those of you who have quit and are satisfied with your choice -- you have my congratulations and good wishes for a wonderful future. And for those of you out there who make the old, tired argument that I'm still just an addict who has traded one drug for another, I say -- please look at the big picture. When I was injecting Dilaudid, I was a sickly junkie, a thief, a liar, a bad mother, and nobody's friend. Today, I truly believe that I have a life worth living. I just want to be sure that nothing compromises the progress that I've made.

Wow! This is me! Except I haven't been through the wds yet. I'm currently on 5mg subs/day after starting at 14mg /day almost 4 years ago. I have recently decided that I am done with all of this and beginning with my next script, I am planning on tapering down to nothing. But after reading all of these stories, I am scared as h$#&! I am still going to attempt it. It just might take longer than expected. Alot longer!

Do what I say, not what I do, eh. Layla.