Few weeks ago I met one beautiful girl. After some time my friend told me that she has some mental problems. I was really surprised because she seemed so "normal". He told me that she has co-dependant personality disorder. Can someone tell me more about this?

Personality disorders are generalized patterns of inner experience and behavior and they are significantly differing from cultural expectations. They usually begin in adolescence or early adulthood. Personality disorders are long-term, maladaptive patterns of perception, emotional regulation, anxiety, and impulse control and are among the least understood and recognized disorders. Co-dependants are in denial, have low self-esteem; they change themselves in order to please others. These are just some basic characteristics of co-dependant personality disorder. Individuals with this disorder are usually distrusting own perceptions, believing that they can't survive without relationship. They believe in perfect union and are afraid of abandonment. Also, when they find themselves in a bad situation, they adapt to it rather then changing it. Co-dependants adopt roles like hero, adjuster, care taker, rescuer, joiner etc. This disorder has many affects like depression, negativity, uncontrollable mood swings, dulled feeling. Co-dependants feel like they have no fun in life or enjoy only when at someone else's expense.

There is no such thing as Co-dependent Personality Disorder. Co-dependency is a popular term used by lay people to describe a certain set of characteristics. This term is not officially recognized by mental health professionals and there is no such diagnosis as Co-dependent Personality Disorder in the Diagnostic Manual.

GOOD I am glad someone clarified that. That is exactly what i was thinking when I read the question and answer above. Seems these days someone is always trying to give a clinical definition to a personality flaw. Lets face it folks co dependency is fixable. I feel sorry for the people who write folks off because of baggage from their past, they may be missing out on meeting some good people that have just been exposed to some bad circumstances. Lets all just work on getting better and accept that we will never be perfect, because there is no perfect...... TO WHICH I AM SURE A NARCISSIST SOMEWHERE OUT THERE IS SCREAMING" EXCEPT ME"!

Co-dependency is usually a result of having to deal with extreem situations in relationships such as alcohol or drug addiction and abuse. The condition most often occures in now adult children of abusive or addicted parents. The co-dependent feels an overresponsibility of caregiving toward others. It is similar to a complusive disorder where the co-dep feels like they have to control their surroundings to keep everyone else happy. co-deps have a hard time setting bounderies and allow others to abuse this. The first answer to this thread is correct. But, it does not have to be permanant; one just has to retrain their way of thinking through therapy and support groups. Ifothers know, then the girl in the main post has already accepted that she is co-dep and is working on it. she is NOT mental, just trying to be please too much.