Hi, guys. My friend has a mother with Borderline Personality Disorder. I think that he is having a hard time, but he doesn’t want to talk about it. I would like to understand him better, so I would like to know how a person with this disorder behaves. What do you know about this? Thanks.

Hi. Borderline Personality Disorder has influence on how a person sees himself/herself, how he/she relates to others and at the and how he/she behaves. They consider themselves as bad and evil. Their relationship with others is a disaster. At one moment, they idealize a person and at the other moment, they hate him/her the most in the world. They also have risky behavior. They indulge to excessive drinking, unsafe sex and drugs consuming. They show short episodes of depression and anxiety. Controlling their emotions and impulses is very difficult for them. So, you can see that your friend isn’t easy living with a person like that. Try to understand him and talk to him if he feels need for that.

Hmm. Well flint has the right 'idea' of it.

but not completely correct.

not all indulge in excessive drinking, unsafe sex and drug consuming.

infact, his/her description is rather over doing some aspects and not mentioning most of them.

I have personality disorder.

We don't always consider ourselves "bad" or "evil".

And we don't just idealize someone and then hate them a second later. also it's not impossible to have a relationship with someone who has BPD. I myself am in a wonderful relationship.

So, flint, you need to do a lot more research before you try and give advice on things of that matter.

burch, this should give you all the information you need:

wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderline_Personality_Disorder

Burch,

You sound like a good friend. It is difficult to tell you everything you need to know about Borderline Personality Disorder in one post. The link provided Aimee2123 is an excellent starting ground. I think if you understand the disorder you will be able to understand your friends behavior better.

We tend to view people with mental disorders of any kind difficult. Perhaps it is difficult to understand them because their disorder causes them to think in a different way. I encourage you to think of your friend's thinking patterns as different not difficult or wrong.