I had my gallbladder removed laparoscopically 2 1/2 weeks ago. The day after surgery I noticed my right leg was numb around my knee and part of my thigh. I am still having problems with it that seems to be getting increasingly worse. I called my surgeon's office and he said that it's not from the surgery but probably from sleeping on my back. This may be true being I don't normally sleep on my back, but now that I can sleep on my side again, why is it still numb? Nothing seems to help it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Hi my name is tammy. I am waiting gallbladder removel nov 30. I have had a scope and an insicion in my bile duct. I am now having problems with my right knee feeling numb and my upper thigh raidaiting from the knee. If you find any answers please e-mail me at ******

**this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **

Please read our Terms of Use

It could be bakers cyct behind your knee

me me wrote:

towie wrote:

Please read our Terms of Use

Hi its me me. I found out that my numb right knee was caused by cyst behind the knee. It is called bakers cyst. If it is not one thing it is another. lol lol lol

Hi me me and Tammy,

I went to my primary doctor shortly after my post and she told me I had shingles. At that point I had a burning shooting pain down my thigh to my knee. It hurt to move it and would wake me out of a sound sleep. She said we got it before the blisters broke out and gave me an antiviral medicine and steriods. What she told me was the zoster virus lays dormant in your body after your have chicken pox and when you are stressed or your body suffers trauma as in surgery, it reactivates the virus. It has been 3 months since my surgery and though I don't have the shooting pains any longer, it is still numb and sore sometimes. My doctor told me even though we caught it before the blisters, we still did not get it in time and it could be this way for about a year.

Take care,
Towie

Well Towie I am glad you have solved you knee problem. I can not wait to have my gallbladder out on nov 30/06. I am nervous as this will be my first surgery. I am excited though as I feel sick more than healthy and was told I should feel like a new women. I am concerened with weight gain though as I can not afforad to gain any at 175 already. lol lol lol Alot of people tell my you gain 30-40 for no reason????

Yours in good health Tammy

Hi Tammy,

Are you having the laparoscopic surgery? It wasn't too bad, but allow yourself a couple of weeks to get back to yourself. The first few days were the toughest. Even though the incisions are smaller, it is still abdominal surgery. I feel so much better since I had my surgery in July. The pain in my side, which was continuous is gone as well as the nausea. I felt as if I had morning sickness all the time.

You said your surgery is on 11/30. Why do you have to wait so long? Do you have stones? I didn't, mine was just not functioning right.

Good luck to you and let me know how you make out.
Towie

I had my gall bladder out over 3 years ago and I have gained over 30 lbs and probably then some and I have chronic diarehea all the time now and was told by my doctor that is normal after u have your gall bladder removed I wish someone would have told me all of this before I had it out. I'm not sure which is worse the pain from the gall bladder or the pains after the gallbladder removal. Hopefully I'm just a rare case of this and you dont experience anything like this afterwards. I had the laprascopy surgery done but it still hurt after surgery and the nurses in recovery werent very nice either made me get up to go the bathroom before I went home and I told her I felt dizzy but she made me get up anyways I ended up getting sick to my stomach in the bathroom. I hope I'm not scaring you but I think its nice to know what can happen after surgery since know one told me and everyone made out like it was going to be a piece of cake.

I am not joking....go to a Chinese medicine place. My doctor tole me the same thing. They can fix then in one day so there will be no pain with herbs and sometimes acqu punture. It works for all my firneds who get them

Try it

Hi I just had gallbladder surgery 4 days ago and I have been experiencing numbness in my toes do you think this is normal????

hi i had my gall bladder removed on the 21st of March, i too have a numb thigh on my right side. My doctor thinks im a sook. If you can let me know what goes on with you. I am worried. Please email back at ***** I keep getting dizzy and hot sweets i feel so tired and have no energy. Do you think this is normal

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

My husband, too, has the numbing problem. He had his surgery in October 2006 and still has the problem. It started 3 days after surgery, and he was in the hospital a week after the gall bladder surgery, so they had to check into it. They did an ultrasound for any blood clots, which are common in the leg after surgery, but found none. So, they just said it will go away with time. That time hasn't come yet for him. His primary doctor isn't concerned with it, either. She also said it is very common, and will go away with time.

Sharebear

Well, in January I went to a neurologist after 6 months of numbness and pain. He told me I had meralgia paresthetica which is a pinched nerve which goes from the pelvis into the thigh. He said it is more common with lower abdominal surgery but could have resulted from the positioning on the table. He said it could go away in time however in some people it does not. I am currently on medication which helps with the pain. When I see him again in 3 months he will try to start reducing the medication. Good luck and I hope you feel better.

I had my gallbladdre removed about 2 weeks ago as well and it's been about 5 days just beside my belly button to the left I have like a numb and pinching feeling as well.. That is weird I wonder what causes that and also I had numbness in my hip when I slept as well..

I got my gallbladder removed last May 27, but the wound of it is still numb. that was my question. LoL. xDD My mom said, maybe there's a nerve that got hit and wouldn't be back to normal. It hurts though even if it's numb. There's a part of it that it hurt when touched or push. :D