I've seen quite a few postings about this, but they're all from over a year ago (that I've found, anyway). After four years of struggling with a slowly failing gallbladder, I had the sucker removed in January (2014).

Here's the thing, when the nurses woke me up in the hospital - about 2 hours after surgery - the very first thing I said was "My leg hurts." even with all that heavy medication in my system. The entire time I was in bed, recovering, I kept telling my mom the same thing. At my follow-up with my surgeon, I mentioned the problem and that most of my right thigh had gone numb. He, of course, told me that it was probably from being in bed for a week, or from laying on my back - which I don't normally do - and that it would go away in its own time.

I let it go figuring, hey, he's the one who went to medical school, not me. Two and a half months later, the numbness in my right thigh has spread to my knee and the upper part of my calf. My left leg is starting to have the same beginning symptoms (mostly being pain), but to a far lesser degree. My biggest fear is that sometimes both my legs will go entirely numb, I woke up one night and couldn't feel my legs and let me tell you, that is TERRIFYING. After getting some help out of bed, we discovered I could still walk alright and I regained moderately normal feeling. Other problems include; legs shaking like a newborn deer if I've been standing more than 5-10 minutes, extreme joint pain, and a general weakness that I've never had before. I can't sleep because of the pain now, if I do it wakes me up, going out with friends/family is utter Hell on Earth, and even sitting/laying down doesn't help.

Last week I saw my regular physician and she ordered a blood panel, it came back only saying my good cholesterol is low. So that eliminated blood clots, vitamin deficiencies, diabetes, etc. 

Now, my point, after some research I discovered what is known as Meralgia paresthetica. Which basically means the nerve that controls the feeling in the outer parts of your thighs, lower back and groin is being pinched or cut off somehow. This doesn't actually affect the muscles or your ability to walk, just the senses in those areas. So, what I'd like to know is, who else is dealing with this? What kind of feedback did you get from your doctor? How is it treated? CAN it be treated? Etc. 

I have a follow up with my regular physician tomorrow, I'd like to go in armed with as much information as possible. I refuse to just let this go any longer.

here's one bit of information I can give you - if you are indeed suffering from Meralgia paresthetica or cut sensory nerve, chances for the nerve to heal back are almost zero. Nerves are one type of tissue in our body that doesn't have the ability to regenerate itself. The second thing is, it's hard to envision how a sensory nerve could get cut during laparoscopic gallbladder removal and more to that, it sounds like your condition actually includes more than just sensory symptoms (shaking legs is controlled by motoric nerves, for example),

Hope you find at least some relief,

Nicole

Hi Pluto...I am so sorry that you are having to endure what you are.  I can say you are not alone.  So many people in fact have had their gallbladders out laproscopically and have had tingling and numbness post op in some region of their body.  I in fact had my gallbladder removed only one week ago on the 13th of June and the very night of the sugery was my first episode of the tingling in my right foot.  It since has occurred 4 times... now in both my right and left feet.  I do not know the connection, but after much connection...I feel so much  better knowing that I am not alone.  There are many many sites of other gallbladder patients speaking on this very topic...so though some may not believe that their is a connection.  I am sorry...when you have hundrends upon hundrends of patients around American and the world having similar side affects after this surgery.  I have to believe there certainly IS a connection and that it is on the Doctors to that the initiative to look further into this issue. In terms of nerves never rebuilding...I'm not so sure that is true.  I am a believer in Easter medicine and have a Master's degree in it...and there is new research that does show hope to the recovery to this end.  But then again...to each his own..and do take what you can from what I have said here.  Just know that there is always hope.  Keep the faith.

Keep your chin up Pluto...we ride in the same boat.  Attitude makes a difference.  I wish you the best in your journey.  Be safe and well along the way.  

Hey I am experiencing the same symptoms of tingling after gallbladder removal, what have you done to get better or rather what measures and further findings can you share with me. Thank you!