I have had a numb spot in my left thigh for about 7yrs. it started out about the size of a half dollar and has progressively gotten larger over the years, now it covers about half of the front of my thigh. What would cause this?

I have the SAME EXACT THING! I've been googling the last 2 days, and can't find an answer.

Later in the days when I'm working, it has recently become quite painful. I'm a 31 year old male.

I just ran across your notes about numbness in left thigh. I am experiencing the same thing and have been for several years. Have you found a cause for this? It is so annoying - sometimes pins and needles, numbness, burning, pain, etc. If you would like to email me directly please send to _[removed]_. Thanks!

Hi all...
Add me to the list...for about 1 1/2 years now, numbness and/or tingling in my left thigh...for me it's a bit off to the outside (lateral) and at times it is more 'numb' than others...and also, at times there is no tingling, other times a bunch of tingling. I'd say it takes up about 3/4 of the length of my thigh, from the top of my leg to where the knee begins!

Luckily, there is never any 'pain' and it does not effect me at all...just annoying and I want to check it out in case it's an indicator of something more serious. I would love to exchange info on this with all of you... I am going to see a doctor within the coming days, I'll post any info I get.
Thanks, Don L. (New York)

Why is it ive been all over the internet and never seen anyone give any reasons for this? it seems to happen to a significant number of people, myself included.

Im a healthy 23 year old male with left thigh numbness and sproradic burning and pins and needles in the same area all over the top left thigh. Im not on any medication and I walk at least 2 miles every day.

if anyone could please give some sort of direction to which I could research in? thanks

phil

Seems like this very common problem is Meralgia paresthetica.

I have these symptoms too. Two specialist neuro surgeon thought it was meralgia paresthetica, but after nerve induction tests, CAT Scan and MRI tests they came to the conclusion it wasn't and they didn't know what is was. They knew i had to pay their huge bills though!!!!!!!!

hi to all of you guys....I have the same problem...I have this condition for only a few weeks...it,s actually more scary than problematic...because this is something that is really new to me...I have been doing a few researce and the most possible reasons are nerve entrapment syndrome,vitamin b12 defeciency or pinch nerve....by the way it would be nice to hear from any of you guys if you finally solve your problem...

hi
thanks for the great helpful post it can solve my many problems related to the muscles.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I had the same problem for years. It bothered me the most during and after standing for a while particularly on concrete. I finally visited a chiropractor (I always thought that they were quacks and snake oil salesmen) and he did a few stretches with me lying on my side then he and an assistant stretched both legs, on forward and one backward. Then he jumped hard on my hip a couple of times while still on my side then followed it up with 20 minutes on a TENS unit. He gave me a couple of exercises to do that involved stretching. After three visits, I felt 90% relief. and after 5 or 6 visits the pain was gone. Oh, he also told me to remove my wallet from my back pocket.
Two years later, I am starting to get the same symptoms so I will surely go back and see him for a couple more treatments.

this numbness has just started for me, its been 4 days and im freaking out! have you gone to the doctor for this?

Well, guys your not alone, I have the same condition..I have had low back L3,L4,L5 S1 condition since 2003,,,Numbness is from nerve damage...I had my nerves burnt in my lumbar region and this in my thigh has gotten worse..I hope this helps.( ryzotomys done) 3 times L3,4,5, S1

Well it's nice to know that I'm not going crazy. I have a numb spot on my left thigh too, towards the front left, about the size of a softball... maybe a little larger. I noticed some of you mentioned Meralgia Paresthesia, which seems like that could be very likely based on a couple of the symptoms, but I'm not ruling out the other possibilities as well, like arthritis or tendonitis. I'm not able to try to self diagnose.

I do get the burning pins and needles too from time to time, it actually feels more like I rubbed Icey Hot or Bengay all over the side of my thigh. This used to go on every day, while sitting or lying down after being on my feet for 8 hours a day, but not so much anymore, and the burning would sometimes travel up to my hip, but it's mostly noticeable on the thigh. But aside from the loss of sensation in this particular spot, I'm not in any real pain or discomfort and I can still move around just fine with no problems. It's just kind of bugging me, because it could possibly be something serious and I don't have any way of getting to the doctor until I have a car. It's not like he's just a couple of blocks away... I WISH!. lol

i would love to see answers to all these because mine started right after shoulder surgury and now 5 years later the pain is more radiant than ever before..left upper thigh!

I actually went to see my Dr about numbness in my thigh, I also experience pins and needles and a burning sensation. She said it was a trapped nerve in the spine. Nothing to worry about. Most likely caused by injury or simply being over weight as flab traps the nerve. She even mentioned that it could br tight clothing.