What would cause a whitish coating on my stools?

Hi there. 

Maybe you do have too many mucus in your stool. When we are talking about this, you should know that mucus is the most common cause of white stool and it’s not something unusual. Also, it is not that scary. You should know that mucus traps bacteria and helps waste pass through the colon. If the white disintegrates into the water, it’s likely just mucus. It can also be a sign of fast bowel transit time, but it is hard to talk about this without proper diagnose. It can be anything to be honest, that is why the only one who can help you is your doctor. 

My son has had this also it is either extra mucous or intestinal lining from passing a hard stool.

Hallo,
My guess here is that you are asking about mucosa that can be visible in your stool although it is always present you usually don’t see it because of the small amount of it. The thing is that mucosa is created from the mucus membrane in our intestine to help with the bowel movement. When you have irritable bowel syndrome of Crohn’s disease your mucus membrane will produce more mucosa that than is noticeable in your stool. Have you tried to use any medication for this condition? You have to treat the underlying cause and when the treatment is done you won’t be able to see any more mucosa in your stool.
I hope that this helped.

I think it has to do with being constipated. I too suffer from constipation, and also at times get the whitish film.