Hello everyone.

I always think that I do know everything about cats. But, it turns out that I don’t have a clue actually.

I bought one more kitten and now I have two cats.

I bought this beautiful British Shorthair cat, Layla :) She is adorable.

Today, when I wanted to change the sand, and I found this strange mucus in loose stool of my kitten.

I don’t have a clue what this can be.

Can you tell me? Is there a reason for me to be worried or not? I never found this at my first cat stool.What should I do now?

Thanks in advance. 

Hello there.

Your cat is having a diarrhea, right? It is really common stage for cats and this is something that can happen very often, when your cat eats something bad, when your cat is sick, etc.

But, of course, there are so many different reasons as well.

In my opinion, you should not be that concerned if you see small mucus in your cat’s stool. It is totally normal that stool contains some mucus, it is a slime like substance made to keep the linking of the colon lubricated.

But, if you notice bigger amount, you should check your vet immediately. That can be a huge problem. 

Good day all.

Again, I did some research : ) I really want to know as much as I can about those things, that are really common in cats and dogs.It is true, a small amount can’t be that harmful for your cat. But, if you notice an excessive amount of mucus in the stool, or if you see some other changes in your cat’s bowel movements, immediate seek vets medical help and attention.

In this case, I am sure that he will be able to identify what is the cause, and to recommend proper course of the treatment for your pet.

Good luck! 

Hello. Is there a big or smaller amount of the mucus in loose stool of this kitten? I am asking this, because this can be a crucial information. You should try to remember what your cat was going through lately. Mucus in stool can be caused by a lot of things, such as stress, intestinal parasites, dietary indiscretion, tumors, bacterial infection, such as salmonella, inflammation of the colon or rectum, constipation, etc. Maybe this is just typically diarrhea in your cat, but that doesn’t mean that you should not treat it. Visit the vet and tell him more information about this. 

Hey there.

I had similar problem like you do have now. My cat had this smelly, pudding like stools. She was pooping up to three or four times a day, I just can’t remember.

I went to see the vet and I took stool sample. He told me that my cat has this dietary intolerances and inflammatory bowel movements disease.

I think that your vet may suggest you to increase the fiber in the diet program. In this case, you can add some canned pumpkin, in your cat’s food.

But, I think that it would be nice to explain more about this mucus, like I did. Is it smelly or not?