I am very worried for the past month. I am only 16 and have constant stomach pain. I also have very dark stool, for which I read somewhere is a consequence of blood not visible to naked aye. I am very afraid I have colon cancer, because my grandfather died 4 years ago because of it. I am only 16, so could it be possible I have colon cancer?

Hey there,
It is most likely people won’t get colon cancer before 40, unless they have a case of colon cancer in family. But, anyway... 16 years old?!
Ok, first colon cancer symptoms are numerous and are not very specific. Fatigue, shortness of breath, change in bowel habits, narrow stools, diarrhea or constipation, blood in stool, weigh loss, cramps, abdominal pain… all these are colon cancer symptoms, but are also symptoms of many other diseases. So, at the age of 16 I really, really wouldn’t concentrate on the thoughts you are having.
Besides that, colon cancer may be present for several years before symptoms develop.
I think you have digestion problems. How do you eat, I mean is your nutrition regular and what do you eat? Eat more fruit and vegetables and observe what happens to your body.
But, if you are really worried, as seems to me you are, please do visit doctor and see what specialist has to say.
Best wishes!

is it possible for stools to be narrow with diverticula

Yes, but it happens more often when there is an inflammation of diverticula called Diverticulitis. Have you been found to have diverticulas or you are experiencing narrow-stools?

Do you have any other symptoms like abdominal pain or rectal bleeding, etc? These are the possible complications of diverticula. If you have had it for along time, your lower colon may become narrowed and distorted. When this happens you may experience thin, pellet-shaped stools, constipation, and an occasional rush of diarrhea.

Some other symptoms of diverticula may be mild, or severe pain in the lower left side of your abdomen, fever, nausea, vomiting, bloating, bleeding from your rectum, frequent urination, etc

If it is just narrow stools that you are experiencing and haven’t been diagnosed with diverticula, you may want to check your bowels ( colonoscopy) as these could be due to irritable bowel syndrome, colon polyps or even colon cancer.

I'm 55. When I had breast cancer 5 yrs.ago, I had just gained weight, I went from 133lbs to 168 and had loose bowels, frequent movements per day even after bi-lateral mastectomy. Suddenly, after 4& 1/2 yrs. I lost dramatic amount of weight (109 lbs @ one point, varying between that and 116 now) Tests showed I had an under-active thyroid, didn't make sense to me. Started synthroid, now, have pain with bowel movements, constipation and vomiting often and nothing tastes the same to me. I am more worried over little jiggly bean-shaped things growing in clusters around the anal area, inside & out & extending back towards tail bone & forward towards vaginal area. Tried to see them with mirror, they appear colorless. Last colonoscopy, a year or so ago was good but I feel sick and very tired, worried all the time.

today i found a lump next to my rectum and im very worried it might be serious....please reply asap

To the girl who was 16 about 4 years ago, have you considered that you may be suffering from IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome-often called IBD-Inflammatory Bowel Disorder/Disease) It isn't serious although in some cases it can be, and it affects 1 in 10 of the entire population,but in varying degrees of severity, so much so that some don't even realise they have it all their lives. Anyway, look it up. I have suffered from it for as long as I can remember, but only put a name to it about 5 years ago. So I hope that helps, although you probably haven't been back in this forum in years.
To Mavrick, dont panic, it could be much less serious than cancer, it could be merely an anal fissure (a tear in the anal passage which can cause bleeding after passing a stool, and can occasionally result in a lump) or a fistula (which is a lump caused by the passing of a hard stool and is commonly associated with IBS sufferers.) However, I would go and get it checked out with your doctor, because although it could be nothing and getting it checked is very embarassing, it could alo be something that could develop more serious consequences if left.
Sorry its such an essay, I hope it helps.