Users comments and reviews on article Oxycontin Addiction: Withdrawal methods & recovery by SirGan

Excellent article, I am a user of Oxycontin for a true illness I have. I have been on Oxycontin for about six months, and the dose has gradually increased due to my body growing a quick tolerance for the drug. I am not at no capacity next to an extreme dose but it is enough per the doctor for my medical needs. I have had people that knew, I was on Oxycontin try so hard to get me to give them or sell them the drug, I refuse, I have been offered obscene amounts of money for just one little pill, it's truly a scary thing. Let me tell my shrot story though, a few days ago I ran out, and thought I would try to quit cold turkey. Wrong thing to do, I found out quickly that I was going for a road of hectic hurdles. I went two days without the drug and was in extreme withdrawl it scared me. I could not beleive that I was hooked so to speak. I had all the withdrawl symptoms and then some. Could not beleive it, I know what herion users feel like because of it. I read this article and thought how could this happen to me, but it did. I just came back from the doc with another 60 ct. at 30mg ER, and a script for Dilaudid 4mg. I couldn't wait to get them into my system not only because I was in a 10/10 pain level, but also my body needed it bad! 30 minutes later I found releif in my mind and body, felt so so much better, like I am used to. So I talked to the doc and I was given Cymbalta for the sake of anxiety and pain releif, and depression, I guess this is supposed to help as well. So I asked the doc about withdrawls, he said I was lucky not to have had to go to the ER for a fix IV. I quickly learned how to control the use and wean myself off if you will. This drug is a really serious thing, it is not something you take for enjoyment and not to mention for pain but, abusing it could quickly take a turn, especially if you discover the withdrawls, it is horrific. Please to those of you who take, use, abuse this narcotic BE CAREFUL! You will find a road to hell if not carefully used. Regards, Josh< a pancreatic disease victim.

This information was extremely valuable for me since I have been weaning off 80mg. and 40mg. daily for severe back pain. I am now down to taking a 30 mg. tablet only 3 times a week (I don't know if this was how to get off without so many withdrawal systoms). I didn't have any problem dropping the 80mg. as long as I had a 40mg. to take in the evening. Now, I am sick...headaches daily, insommnia, nauseated and want to vomit every hour, and severe pains in the upper abdomen, tired...but can't sleep, and severe depressions as if "should I kill myself" than to put my family through this. I am also weaning off Neurontin at the same time. Neurontin was used for neuropathy of the legs. I was taking 1600mg. a day. I have cut that in half to 800mg. daily. My next step to weaning off of Neurontin is to take 400mg. a day, then pulling apart the capsules (putting peanut butter on the ends of the capsule parts so the medicine does not fall out)...that would be 200mg. daily for a week. Then continue this for one more week. Then stop! I am probably setting up myself for failure and a lot of withdrawal pain.

I have suffering from stomach pain i take some drugs but not work so plese tell me what i do.

cart456

I noticed that in this article that it did not say to do it cold turkey and I think that is VERY wise advice because I think a lot of people think it's possible to quit that way and it's just not possible. I'm glad to read that there are good treatments and detox programs and I hope that if anyone is suffering form this addiction that they will consider detox if they're fed up with it. Thanks for posting this!

I have TMJ and have had it for about 20 years.
I was given Lortab to start with and eventually oxycontin 40mg was added. i ran out of my medicine and went into a full w/drawal mode within 12 hours. i just got out of a 5 day detox program at our local hospital. it has been pure hell!!! please, please, please do not start on oxycontin!!!!

Wrong. My husband was on it 80mg for almost 2 years after an accident. He went cold turkey, 10 days of hell, then another 30 or so before his body was back to normal but he did it, and is all the better for it.

I am also prescribed oxycontin. This is a great med for those who are in pain but it will bring you down FAST! You feel great when your on it but when you run out you will wish you never started! I get these weird feelings in my arms and legs that kinda feels like I need to stretch REALLY bad but no matter what you do the weird feeling is still there! This last for a couple days. It might not sound that bad but I have spent multiple nights screaming and cursing at the top of my lungs due to this withdrawl symptom that is not listed and only oxycontin users who have tried to stop know what im talking about! It is pure HELL! If you really don't need to start this powerful medication DON'T! Don't take it for fun either cuz it may kill you just like so many others!

I think that's a really good bit of advice. YOu really have to be good to yourself. And it sounds like it's really hard on some people, so thanks for posting about your experiences...

2 get off oxy's u need 2 b serious about it you'l go thru hell for a month and still feel off for another 2 for all you that are tryna kick go 2 rehab cause it can't b done on your own its ruined my life

My husband is on Oxycontins -

I have been doing oxycontin for about a year to date now, and I wish I had never, ever, ever started! I didn't get pescribed them, I just started doing them to get high. Now I can't even go one full day without at least feeling "ok". I have not had any today and I absolutely am going crazy. I would do anything in the world to get a hold of some right now just for the pain to go away. I can't though because there so damn expensive on the street. As much as 40$ for 80mg! I don't know why the government would prescribe these evil, EVIL things!! There are other pain killers, but none as addicting. Sure the very first time I was in pain, but now it feels like it's for me to be able to survive. I'm trapped and have no way out. Cocaine wasn't even this addicting. All I got to say is what a mess

Agreed. I started abusing oxycontin a year ago and everyday I wake up my first thought is that i gotta find a pill, and when i do i got to take more than 80 mg to get high which is 40 to 50 dollars street value on long island. If I can make it one day without the second day is pure hell and the third is even worse but no matter what I say it will still be abused its just the way it works. I wish I never started but I'v seen this posted 100 times and it will still be abused. No one addict will take this advice and stop, not even me. I'll get up tommorrow and scrap money together to get a pill. If I can't Ill steal it because I NEED OXYCODONE. Start oral then sniffing before you know it your pushing a needle.

I just got cut off like a dog. No I would not do my dog this way. The tings I read are true, so many mixed hurt feelings.they said I did't have it in my system.I ran out one day early.they had me on c 2 for 5 years or better. when I the doctor I didnt want it he said it not as adictive now I read this I new it well holston medical group dont have a 2nd thought or test plus a just your done here.I got a lot of other things wrong with me.this is in kingsport tn.they burned my mother up when she had cancer.she had blisters all overthey are for money not people. They said once onley one thing at a time.no telli9ng all that hurts youlike me I got lots of other things wrong,but now they just made me sicker thanks

I had an Oxycontin addiction for over two years. It started off moderate and then worked up to a full blown addiction to where I was injecting over 160mg a day. I had been married for two years and my wife up and left me. This ultimately lead me to return back to an environment that was unsafe and I began using to be able to suppress my sadness and sleep. After experiencing horrific reoccurring withdraws every time I would run out and numerous trips to the ER, I decided it was time for a change.

I entered into a 90 treatment program at the age of 24 and moved out of state soon after. I had to make some drastic changes in my life to get sober and it was never easy. I attended NA meetings and became involved with others who share the same setbacks as I have.

It's been over 6 years now since I entered the treatment program and I can honestly say that I haven't touched it since. I'm about to graduate college and have met a wonderful woman in the process. At the time, I had never heard of anyone successfully kicking the habit, but there are people like myself that can say it is possible. It's a matter of making that mental decision that enough is enough and that death or jail isn't my future destination. Nobody can tell you otherwise, it's a decision you have to make to yourself.

Hope this reaches someone and makes a difference. There is a better way of life and its yours for the taking if you want it bad enough.