Users comments and reviews on article Abdominal pain during pregnancy: Causes & Treatments by MariAnne

This is very good article, thanks

Informative, it actually explained this to me and now I can rest a bit easier.

i sometime feel chest pain that raps around the rib cage to my back side along with crystal in my urine. I went to the hospital to get some blood work done. Found out I had high blood pressure. What should I do to prevent pain?

I started having cramps in my mid stomach at the begining of my pregnancy. They went away for a good bit, but now have returned.I am now almost five months pregnant. The only difference is the pain grew to my back and instead of being in my mid stomach it feels like it's moved to my uteris. I went to the hospital and they diagnosed me with a Urinary Track Infection, but now the pain is much more severe and is now ALSO in my chest. So now my back, all of my stomach, and chest are hurting! Can anyone help me, PLEASE?

They are avoiding "irritable uterus" syndrome, which i had, causing me to be hospitalized for a month and giving birth at 32 weeks. Doctors like to call us neurotic or overly concerned, most of the time they just dont want to deal with us, or things they dont know enough about. Im sick of it.

This article is informative and helpful. Thank you!

Later on in your pregnancy, around the middle to end of the second trimester and into the third trimester you may feel a different kind of pain through the lower abdominal area, the pelvis and the groin. This pain can be a lot more severe and feel like shooting pains across your belly and into your groin.

Although this can be extremely painful, (I could hardly walk when it happened to me), it is not something you need to worry about because it is fairly easy to treat. These shooting pains across the pelvis and lower abdomen are called Round Ligament Pain.

Round Ligament Pain is caused by the amount of stretching that the ligaments have to go through to support the wieght of your enlarging uterus. The uterus is normally the size of a pear, but as it grows the extra weight and mass pulls on the ligaments so that they become long and tight like rubber bands. The ligaments then pull on nerve fibers and sensitive structures which cause pain.

The sharp shooting pains are caused by ligament spasms, usually on the right side as the uterus will normally roll over to the right.

To ease Round Ligament Pain:

- Always roll onto your side and use your arms to lift you from lying to sitting, lifting your head up last.

- Keep your legs together and avoid lunging positions which will stretch the ligaments even more. eg. when getting in and out of the car turn your back to the seat and sit down on the seat sideways. Then swing your legs in together.

- To ease acute attacks of RLP try the "hip hitch exercise". Standing next to a wall or a chair, gently shift your weight to the leg that is opposite to the side where you feel the pain. Lift your foot off the floor on the side that hurts by hitching your hip up in the air.

a very nice article... tanx

My wife has been having severe UPPER abdominal pain (above the uterus but below the ribs) for about 2 weeks now. it has increased in severity in the last few days now but none of the doctors we've seen have made a solid attempt to find the problem. she's had blood work done and a ultra sound of the upper right quadrant of her abdomen but not the other side. they have not discovered a problem and are calling it heartburn a inflamation of some sort. nothing they have recommended is helping. are there any suggestions? seeing her in this much pain is breaking my heart and i cant do anything to make her feel better. so please Help!

I had placental abruption and lost our baby boy, I didn't had any symptoms for those two weeks he was gone, only thing why I went to check was because he has stoped moving for around two weeks, but I didn't had any pain, bleeding or tenderness

@ havoc...I went through the exact same thing..tell your wife to tell the docs to look for gallstones thats what I have.

I also am having the same upper abdominal pain. I havent gone to the doctor yet but think it may be muscle seperation but its not suppose to hurt this much and its not suppose to last this long. what kinds of tests do they do for gallstones?

I'm on my 3rd pregnancy, and this is the first time I've had THIS happen to me as well! I'm almost 35 weeks along and in the past 2 weeks I've had several episodes of my abdominal muscles contracting so tightly and severely that I'm unable to move. This goes on for about 2 hours before it lets up! I had a non-stress test done and they also took a urine sample and determined I have a bladder infection! I've never had a UTI before of any kind, so this was a surprise to me. HOWEVER... I've been on antibiotics for 4 days now, and again this morning I got the same awful pain, this time on my left side! Not sure what's going on. Baby is otherwise moving and fine and I have no other symptoms. I'm really curious as to what this may be because it's different form the Round Ligament pains which are lower on the belly.

I'm 33 weeks into this pregnancy. I'm having really uncomfortable cramping pains on my upper right part of the uterus, just below the ribs. I didn't have this with my first pregnancy, but my dr. said that with each pregnancy, it's possible to feel it more. He says it's Braxton hicks contractions and that they'll only get worse as I get further into my pregnancy. The only thing that seems to help is to lay down with my feet up for a long period of time.