I was diagnosed with Celiac in November 2009. I've been on a total gluten free diet and read labels carefully. My antiobody levels have dropped, which is great. However, I am still experiencing bloating (abdominal distention) and stomach gurgling. Can I assume this is still because my small intestines have not completely healed? Will the stomach bloating subside at some point?

have horrible allergies

Gah, this thread is old but I shall comment in it anyways! (It seems all the coeliac/gluten intolerant threads are rather old)

My boyfriend is a coeliac and I've done a rather lot of research on it myself. But yeah, it could be possible that your intestines are still very scratched up from your experiences with gluten, this can take some time to heal up and in the meanwhile you'd still be very sensitive to other foods still. The other thing is is that coeliacs often find they have intolerances to other food because of this. Stomach bloating could come from many things, but I know lactose has this as a side effect (I'm lactose intolerant myself). Perhaps you should ask your doctor to give you tests for other allergies, too?

Hope I could help people somewhat,

-Static

Someone having celiac disease could alos have fructose malabosrption, in which he would be irritated by fructose, HFCS, sorbitol and other sugar alcohols, like xylitol and maltitol. So, fruits, sweets and commercial foods with abovementioned substances could be problematic.

Also, when someone avoids gluten, he might eat more oats, which is rich in soluble fiber that may produce quite some gas when broken down by intestinal bacteria.

Try colic ease before bedtime. Three teaspoons for an average adult. I also have to be very careful not to eat soy, chocolate, oats and a host of other things that have hidden gluten. Cook at home. Starches can include potatoes, but not french fried potatoes as the oil has wheat at various eateries, some oils are not allowed (hydrolized),sp? Rice and corn is good and products such as grits and polenta is fine. Good luck. Labels say gluten free and they are "not". Watch your own back.