For the past 5 years my upper lip has given me considerable discomfort.
Starting with the growth over 2 years of what i would call a hanging lip tag, this was removed by a dental surgen in the form of a biopsy. The result showed nothing unusual.
Then for the next 3 years taking me up to now, unless i am looking at this upper lip too much, i swear the whole upper lip appears to be filling out, looking bulky and thick "just right of centre".
More importally though is that for the past 12 months this area where the biopsy was taken is now becoming more and more numb ! The numbness has increased in sensation and i think size as well. The numbness feels like possibly 1/3 of my upper lip and interfers with my confidence and now, certain pronounciation of words is needing extra effort.
Also about 2/3 times a year i will wake up with the same lip completely swollen to twice its normal size and i take an allery pill to get it down.

I have had a endoscopy which has shown nothing wrong, an exclusion diet of potatoe chips/crisps, chocolate, carbonised drinks like Coke/Pepsi and sodium benzoate.
The only medication i take is certirizne for allergy and minoxidil solution for male pattern hair loss. I have a very healthy diet, am fit and feel well in every other way. I have a large intake of calcium through milk and thats about it. I dont gorge on choc`s or fizzy drinks.

can anyone shed some light or have ideas?

Hi chris16v,
You left your post one year ago, so you may not see mine. I am wondering if you ever discovered what what causing your problem. I'm asking, as I have had similar problems. I had previously worked in the dental field for 25 years, so I know my situation is not normal, but I have had severe gum bleeding and pockets around my teeth that I should not have, as I have excellant oral hygiene. I have tried to eliminate many things when I suspected they might be part of the problem..... eggs and egg products, sweet-n-low type sugar substitutes, strawberries, tomatoes, etc. Still I have some swelling in my gums and a constant numbness around 3-4 teeth. I have also had a burning sensation around those teeth and other gums from time to time. I have gone to specialist after specialist....had a biopsy.... had a perfectly good porcelain crown removed (to make sure I wasn't reacting to that),..... had allergy testing...... had a root canal redone in case the first one, from 20+ years ago, was failing. Anyway, there has been no change. I am curious what it will do if I quit drinking Cokes, as I wonder if the sodium benzoate has anthing to do with this. It is ongoing, and the dentists have no clue what is causing it, as it's not something we usually see in people's mouths. I did meet up with a specialist who treats this type problem with good results, so I hope to pay them a visit in the fall. They specialize in stomatology and would be the most likely to figure out my mystery problem. Still, I just wondered how your situation with your lip is. Please repost and update if you get this message.

Posted: 07/06/07 - 09:39 Post subject: constant numb and swollen upper lip

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

did you have any dental exrays at the time the problem began? could this be a crack in the bone around your teeth? this would account for
the pockets? especially if your teeth have begun to move? particullarly if you needed or received a crown, think 6 - 12 months later, symptoms
would begin?

Hi there! I hope somebody could help my sister too??? It's start 3 months ago, her upper lip swell up so so so huge, her lip could touch her nose. She can feel it when it come, the 1st time when it happen we took the picture to shows the pharmacist, they have no ideas what's going on with her, but they told her to take benadryl. After she took it, take a lots of nap...then it goes down. Then it come back several times again, but this time it make her breathing hard to breath, and also swell up all over her body. She already went to her family doctor, but they dont know whats wrong with her, they give her zertec to take, andt refer her to specialist to take alergy test, but they are not alvailable until next month. But the swelling keep coming back more often. I told her to go to emergency to let them find out whats wrong, I was afraid that could make her stop breathing one day, cause it getting worser, I don't think that she alergic to food, because she eats different food every time, she didn't change new soap or nothing change, everytime it happen she crys a lot, she said that it was discomfort, hard to breath, headache, swetting, but cold. I hope somebody knows this symptom, please please help my sister, she's only 35 years old have 4 kids, the urgent care just send her home and tell her to take benadryl, family doctor tell her to take zertec. I wish that somebody could know the answer for her. I pray every night for every body to get well and healthy, cause thats the most important of life. And Life is too short, so lets help each other to make this world in peace!!!!!!!!!! *__*