my upper lip has been swollen for about six months.it has never gone back to normal and sometimes (every few weeks) it will swell up even more (only for a few days.) does anyone know what might be causing this? what can i do to make it better again?

Do you know why did the lip swell in the first place? It is impossible to say why your lip has been swollen for 6 months. Have you seen a dermatologist?

Is there a possibility that it was a food reaction or another type of allergy?

Have you had any other symptoms related to the swelling when you first swell up? Were there any small blisters around your face then turned into crusts for a few days and then disappeared? I am thinking about herpes here. It also causes the swelling.
If it were food reaction, then your whole face would swell up, your eyelids, both lips, tongue, etc…..but all of it should have subsided by now.

Are you taking any medications?
Have you noticed a pattern in the swelling?

Hi.... Did you ever figure out what was causing your swollen lip....or did it finally go away? I'm curious, as I have a similar situation with my mouth. Also curious if you drank sodas at the time when your lip was swelling???? Thanks.