hi, my upper lip has been constantly swollen for almost a year. the swelling gets worse some days and better on others but it has never completly went away and even on the good days it is pretty bad.
when i was younger i used to have hives and asthma. as i got older the hives stopped. now im twenty one and i dont know what is causing the swelling or how to relieve it. a doctor diagnosed me with angioedemia and told me to go see an allergy specialist. ive tried antihistamines, benedryl, and they dont work. the only thing i know is when i over-sleep it gets really bad. other than that i dont think the general rules of avioding nuts and pollen and other common allergens really works for me, when i do eat nuts i dont notice anything....any help you may be able to give me will be greatly appreciated

I would agree the condition you described is angioedema which is recognized by swelling of the lips, eyelids, throat, genitals, hands and feet. Sometimes, your tongue could also get swollen so that it could make it difficult to talk and swallow. If your mouth and throat are swollen, this could be life-threatening so you should run to your doctor for the instant help as this could make you unable to breathe properly.
There is something I want to ask you. When you say that your lips are constantly swollen for almost a year, do you mean they really are always swollen, without the swelling going away for some time and then coming back. Well, if the recurrent angioedema lasts for a long time it is called chronic angiodema, but on the other hand, if the swelling is just persistent and is never going away, this should be put under the question mark as then it might not be the case of angioedema at all. Also, if the swelling is always on the same place, for instance on your lips, then it surely is not what your doctor said. Do you have some other symptoms beside the lip swelling? How do you feel in general?
You talk with your doctor about this. You should be referred to some specialist to determine the real cause of the swelling.

hey again. Yes i mean my swollen lip has NEVER completly went away. some days are worse than others. usually if i over sleep or keep licking my lips too much it swells more but there has always been some kind of swelling since last year. If it is not allergies then what do you think it could be? my lower lip is fine and i havent had any symptoms of hives since then except that along with my lip sometimes i think one side of my tongue has hives. i dont break out in rashes or hives, and i used to have asthma. sometimes my nose runs from allergies but otherwise i feel pretty healthy. speaking of health, i am a smoker, do you think that might have something to do with it? the only things i do on a daily basis is smoke(cigarettes) and drink soda. other than that every day is different so i dont why it is constantly swollen. one day i fell asleep on the carpet because my back was sore and when i woke up (sleeping on my stomach, face down) my lip was huge. it appeared as if i had a boil or blister on it but when i looked closer and inspected it i realized it was only swollen tissue. after a couple of hours the swelling decreased to its "normal"(still swollen) size. when i drink out of a bottle it leaves the imprint of the bottle on the swollen lip for a couple of minutes. i dont know if any of this information helps but thank you for your advice.

Hi.... Did you ever find out what was causing your lip to swell? Or did it finally go away? I'm curious, as I have something similar with a portion of my gums and inside cheek and no one has been able to figure it out.

Hey,
Are either of you smokers? Frequently drink beer or soda from cans? Think about the things that contact your lips most often. I've spent thousands trying to find out why mine is swollen. I know i suffer from metal allergies, so I'm ditching the metal cans, that includes canned fruits and vegetables, watch your buffets too, most that stuff was in a can also. Spagetti sauces,etc. Switch to glass or plastic bottles, find a toothepaste that is all natural, my lips burn after I brush with say colgate/crest ,same for deodorants. As for cigarettes,they are manufactured with machinery that is metal, and packaged in metal foil. try a cigarette holder, or start loading your own. researh some metal dermtitis posts (I.e. chromium, nickel, etc) let me know if this is helpful

Hey,

I have the same problem with the swelling of the lips.. i've got it now as I type....

it suddenly just started happening to me in the past couple of weeks, and i've been trying to figure out what is the cause....

after reading the last statement, i realised that that could be the case...

i was locking up my office last night and i put the key in my mouth to find the right key as i had stuff in my other hand... from then on, my lip started swelling, started with a tingling feeling and then ended up like a ball..... i think it can be that i'm allergic to metals of some sort.... but i drink from cans everyday and never get any reaction...

it's really freaking me out...

Well this is me again. Its been four years now and the swelling is still there. I haven't had ONE day in the past four years that there wasn't some kind of swelling. I visited an allergy specialist who did a skin test and found out i was highly allergic to dust mites, and they are everywhere. I also went to a dermatologist who had me on prednisone for over four months at 40 mg per day. The prednisone decreased the swelling quite dramatically and i was the happiest ive been in years however a corticosteriod at this amount cannot be taken for long so i had to get off of it due to weight gain, possible stomach ulcer, and pimples emerging. I have alo visited a general practitioner who did many Tests including STD tests and they all came back negative. I have continued smoking and i am starting to believe that cigarretes might be the case. The only other things it could possibly be would be dust mites or i had a bridge put in my teeth two weeks prior to the swelling onset (four years ago) maybe that is what started all this.

I'm another cronich swollen lip sufferer, alhtough my symptoms started developing with hives --and in the last two months-- also lip (and eye) swelling.

I've tried to narrow it down without any success. I've eliminated nuts from my diet but to no avail. I'm also lactose intolerant (have been since my early teens ... I'm now 39). I found this set of posts because I searched on "swollen lips from soda cans", seeing that I drink 6-12 cans for Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet Coke per day.

I'm also a pack-a-day smoker.

So i have symptoms. Bad. I am a drinker of alcohol. In the last year I consume a lot of beer from a can and I smoke. When I wake up my lips feel swollen and chapped. I thought it was because I had whiskey lips maybe, and it was my fault for drinking so much. Maybe it is? Who knows. The swelling/chapped isn't noticeable to anyone. I used lip balm too much so I switched to a vitamin e in liquid form and even that doesn't help. (it's helped cuts, cracks and everything else on my body wicked fast!) So I don't know what to look for. I'm going to take the aluminum thing and smoking into consideration now though. Thankx! Oh, and any suggestions?

My situation is exactly like yours. except my tongue swells, not my lip.. not enough for me to feel like im dying just enough for me not be able to sleep. it is worse when i oversleep and i came up really really allergic to dust mites on the skin test. As its my tongue that swells it really worries me as i never know how bad i might get.

Hey to all......

If any of you are still having swelling problems in/around your mouth, lips, gums, etc......Try this:

Start eliminating foods/drinks/snacks that have preservatives. Many people are allergic to various preservatives, like sodium benzoate. Sodium benzoate is in sodas, lunch meats, yogurt, and more things than you would ever imagine. Also eliminate anything that has cinnamon or cinnamon flavorings. Cinnamon is even in some sodas and cinnamon flavorings are in gum, toothpastes, and mouthwashes. Eliminate them for at least 6 months to see if they make a difference in your swollen areas... gums, lips, tongue. My gums were red and swollen (for several years)...and they would burn and get ulcerated. I quit eating anything with those products and my gums finally feel normal and are now light pink (as they should be)......but it took several months. Plus, I started taking one Lysine tablet every morning. Lysine tablets can be found in the vitamin area of your grocery store. After paying lots of money for doctor/dental visits... and for lots of allergy testing and other lab tests .....no one ever found out what was causing my problems. I had to discover this on my own...and treat myself with the Lysine.... and eliminate preservatives (which is really hard, since they are in sooo many things) .......and no more swollen gums or burning mouth or ulcerations.

Read labels on everything you eat!!! Don't eat stuff with sodium benzoate or similar preservatives. Seriously, you have to eliminate it for about 6 months to even see the difference. Dr. Pepper has sodium benzoate in it...and it used to have cinnamon. Cokes used to have sodium benzoate, but I think they quit using it. Also, if you really want to be tested to see what preservatives you are allergic to, you can go to Baylor College of Dentistry in Dallas, Texas and see their top stomatologist...and they can do the testing (which takes about 4 days). But, first, try the elimination on your own...and you might just be surprised, like I was, that the pain and swelling will go away.

Oh...one more thing.......... eliminate artificial sweeteners.... you know, the little packets you use in your tea, etc. Many people are allergic to those products, too! Who would have ever guessed??

Hope that helps!!

To the person who initiated this conversation with the swollen lip for 4 years who smokes and had the bridge put in a few weeks before the symptoms started:

I have the exact same issue. 8 months ago I had a lot of dental work done including placing a bridge. My bottom lip started swelling on the right side only and would then go down. This lasted for a few months and then for the last 5-6 months there is always some degree of swelling. I also smoke and at about the same time my dental work was done our state passed the law making all cigarettes with the fireproof paper. I have tried cutting out all soda, splenda, artificial sweeteners, caffeine and tried using the recepticles that you can put your cigarettes into so that your lips don't touch the actual cigarette. NOTHING WORKS! I have not gone to a doctor yet but I'm thinking about quitting smoking altogether as a last resort because now I look horrible with only one side of my lip swollen all the time and it's scaring me.

If you have found out anything new I would appreciate hearing about it. I too have not done anything new and I'm 35 now so I've been researching things that could lie dormant but I read the comment on the herpes and angioedema and that is not what this problem is. If anyone has any info I'd be glad to hear it. Hope things have worked out better for you - it's good to know I'm not alone in this delimma.

I'm also suffering from swollen lips now. It has been the third time in a month! The previous two times happened after a significant sun exposure, so I thought that triggered it. But this time, no. So I really don't know what happened to my lips. For the two earlier times, I also had under-skin bleeding- when I flip my lips a bit, I could see reddish areas- I guess those are internal bleeding but not sure. they went away after 1-2 days, and my lips will have thicker, rougher skin. Meanwhile, the lips just hurt, a bit numb, and pretty uncomfortable. I don't even know what kind of doctors I should ask. I'm not allergic to anything, as far as I know. I also haven't changed any lip balms, cosmetics or so....The swollen only occurs in my lips, nowhere else. I'm not a soda person, and I never drink beer out of a can. Non-smoker...so I'm really puzzled!

Hello all, I've been reading all your posts and I must say it's still a mistery.
I have a swollen upper lip since august 2009 - over a year now and I can say I don't smoke, don't eat anything with E numbers, no soda's I try to eat organic stuff, drink very occasionally alcohol. I tried to write down all the foods for several months and sometimes I did wake up with a bigger swelling eating meat and sometimes I didn't. I got tested several times for all kind of allergies without results.
Gastroenterologists and other specialists can't find anything either. The only thing doctor's do is prescribe me anti-histamine tablets which I tried without any results. It's not a solution to keep on taking tablets if you don't know the reason. I have seen an alternative doctor and she tells me it might be emotional. I have no other options at this stage.

Hi everyone! finally im not alone.

My bottom lip swelled up two months ago when I was raking antibiotics. Immediately stopped taken them and a week or so later they were back to normal. I changed nothing about my lifestyle then all of a suden it was back. Now it is both lips and the inside of my cheeks are slightly swollen. Not noticeable from the out side though. Its not pencillin because its been two months and antihistamines have not helped. In fact they got worse when I took them. I eat a tomato and they started stinging and now ive had tiny white ulcers on my lips which have been there for about a month now.

Doctors say they dont think its serious but they also don't know what it is. Ive cut our fizzy drinks, salty food and spicy food. They are better so ive reintroduced them slowly and so far they have been ok although spicy food does irratate them a little.

I smoke and have cut down and changed my brand.

My wisdom teeth keep flaming up and my gums bleed but the dentist was just as puzzled as the doctor.He could not find anything wrong with my teeth.

Maybe it is stress! I suffered with health anxiety in the past and since the swelling, I guess you can say I relapsed a little.

Its hard when not even the professionals can work it out but i feel so much better knowing im not alone x x x x