My lips, either upper or bottom lip, sometimes get swelling for several hours or over night, but without any particular reasons I can find out. The first occurrence happened 15 years ago. It may occur once a year or two, or within several months. Over 50 yrs old, I didnt have any food allergic problem. Tried to analysed what I ate or acted or used sth whenever such swelling occured, but nothing abnormal at all. Food are normal and as everyday, not after eating rare food. Life is in my daily routine. Environment is the same, always in my home (changed many places though), not at travelling or work places. Not with any abnormal medicine etc. It can happen at morning after sleep or after hours of sleeping or at evening... It is not a big threat to my life but quite annoying especially when plan to have a garthering or public event wiht such a big upper or bottom tip.... anyone can help or explain why??!! Thanks a lot!!

Depends whether the swelling is the entire lip (kind of botoxin or whatever it is effect that women trying to emulate angelina jolie go for), or restricted to a particular area, perhaps centre-left upper lip.

If it is associated with tingling before-hand, and bloated, almost painful swelling in one area, that is a typical herpes response, though not all herpes is of the STD kind (he says, wishing to be reassuring).

If you've never had it checked out and it's never interfered, and it isn't anything like that, then I guess it isn't an issue.

thanks for your quick reply. I didnt have entire lip swelling, only a part of it, most time occured at upper lip, at centre part, but not really repeated at one particular area. no pain, no tingling, but a little bit itchy feeling.

the lastest occurrence (yesterday) was at bottom lip, swelling at the centre part. after abt 8 hours it gradually went back to normal shape, but left with two blisters (size as penut) inside the lip. they looked like full of liquid inside, then three/four hours later, the blisters faded out as well. no painful/tingling/itchy feeling on the blisters. so, as before, I didnt take any medicine or treatment, just let it went away itself. since young i have been keeping mind in safe sex, and most in relationships. never had STD symptons.

Yes, they do sound familiar... I believe that they (or at least some versions) are not officially STD's, but just like any virus or bacteria, transmission is transmission, it's just that STD have have extra level of stigma.

If that is what they are (obviously a doctor should confirm) then I believe they are contagious during the tingling phase. Cold sores is another 'generic' name for them, though perhaps a professional would tell us they are different.

I've experienced the exact same symptoms for the past 15 or so years. It started out only at night or when woke up in morning, sometimes it is just top lip and others it is both, my eyes have swelled on a couple of occasions and lasts typically only a few hours, however once it lasted a few days when I was in a tropical country and a couple of times it has appeared in the middle of the day. I've never been able to pinpoint an allergen in food etc and my doctor has suggested that if it is not causing any serious issues not to worry. It has been suggested to me that it could be residual detergent or fabric softeners left on the sheets, I now use an all natural wash but it has still occurred and t doesn't fit with why it has occurred in the middle of the day. I agree it is a very big annoyance and would love to find out the cause.....
cheers!

I have the same problem, it happens always in my sleep and I go right to sleep I do not toss & turn. Someone told me its stress & even though I feel I am sleeping fine, my brain does not stop going and it can't shut down?? I am really tired of this happening, it can be my upper lip or bottom lip sometimes my tongue, any help would be sure appreciated it does not hurt or itch, just looks freaky

My lip was a little chap an burnt but when I woke up one Morin my upper lip was swollen on one side .I had no clue how or what had caused it ? So I put honey on it an it kinda works but still looking for answers?

I have also recently start suffering from this also - one side of my top or bottom lip will suddenly starting tinging and itching and becomes quite swollen within just a few minutes. No pattern or trigger to the swelling, it has come on in all sorts of circumstances and time of day. After a bit of searching I can across the term 'angioedema' - the wikipedia article has a great description and explanation. This seems to be what it is for me, have just taken a double dose of anti-histimatimes to see if that helps and the itching has stopped although the swelling hasn't gone down yet. I also suffer from Rosecea which is another reason i think this is the correct diagnosis - both are due to your tissues becoming 'leaky'.....

Latex! You either have a latex pillow or mattress. I bought a new pillow and it happened every day in the morning. By mid morning swelling was gone.I threw away the pillow. No more swelling.

My lips has swollen two other times within the pass two weeks. The first time it was my bottom lip. The swelling went down after a few hrs. The 2nd time was with my top lip and the swelling went down after a few hrs. The samething happened this mornin again with my top lip its more swollen than last time. I don't know if its a new symptom of my Cold Uticaria or what but it doesn't hurt or isn't numb it's jusr swollen. Why is this happening out of nowhere? Should I be worried? And what should I do?

It's the entire lip. There is no tingling or pain what so ever before hand.

I have the same thing but It's the entire lip. There is no tingling or pain what so ever before hand. And it started a couple weeks ago once with the upper lip and another with the bottom both entire lip. The swelling goes down in a couple hrs.

I have the same thing! Did you ever figure it out? I have been trying to get an answer for this for 4 years. Middle of the night swelling always between 1am and 4am every 3 weeks!

In 2012 my top or bottom lip would swell. No pain at all. I thought it was something I was eating, until my top or bottom lip would swell whenever I hadn't eaten anything. It looked like I was in a fight, like someone had hit me in the mouth. I took over the counter benadryl. It made the swelling go away, but it made me so drowsy. I couldn't function. I went to my primary doctor. It wasn't any type of std. no blisters, legions or anything like that. When the swelling would go away it wasn't any sign that it ever been there. It was not any particular thing that I ate either that caused this allergic reaction. The doctor told me she believe it's some type of auto immune disease. I didn't want to believe her. I wanted to believe it was something I was eating. I would'nt even take the allergy test to see what type of food I'm allergic too. I thought it was, maybe some type of spice that didn't agree with me, until, like I said, it would happen when I hadn't eaten anything. I also knew it wasn't any outside factors, such as fabic, etc. The doctoc had me get over the counter zyrtec, and told me to take one tablet everyday. As long as I do that it doesn't happen. If I don't take this allegy medicine, I begin to notice that when I get only a couple of hours of sleep, my top or bottom lip swells up, if not that I break out in hives. With the auto immune disease, she said it causes your body to turn against itself causing these allegic reactions (the body think it's allergic to something that isn't there). The immune system is thrown out of whack. By the way this started happening when I was in my middle fifties. It happens if I stay up all night or if I get only a couple hours of sleep. I believe it has nothing to do with food, lotions, fabics, or anything like that. Something changed in my body. My body turns against me when it doesn't get enough rest. The swelling of my lip, or hives gos away when I take the zyrtec medication. If I take the meds everyday like my doctor told me, nothing swells and I have no breakouts.