This post is an extension of the

Anyone tried the lip reduction surgery thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

Hi I have just past a month after the surgery. The first 4 days the swelling really sucked. The incisions were pretty painful too. I thought that the cuts were going to be more inside the mouth and less noticable but they are more to the outside. This part wasn't cool because I took 2 weeks off from work and even though the swelling was down and they were about the same size as before the surgery, the incisions were noticable for a whole other week. The stitches were removed about 10 days after the surgery but some of the smaller disolvable one i had to pull out myself before I worked on monday (by the way those will leave little white bumps for a day where the smaller stitches were pulled out). So I guess it takes three-four months for the swelling to go down. At a month after now I can definitly see a difference as the swelling lessens. The surgery cost me in around thirty five hundred dollars. I know it's steep but the money didn't matter at all because this was important. Also the cuts are barely visable. I only went to 2 doctors and decided on the second. I made sure he knew exactly what I wanted to be sure we were on the same page. So far I am very happy with the surgery. I plan on posting again in a week with more stuff so ask any questions you would like. take it easy

i ap planning on having my surgery pretty soon. Does anyone know a good doctor?

i would like to to know of a good surgeon in the Atlanta area. one who has experience doing african american lips.

Unlike the vast majority of people here, I'm white/Caucasian and was born with medium/full sized lips. (Strange, since my mother has very thin lips and my father doesn't have as big lips as I do.)

It looks to me like "lip reduction" plastic surgery is not a very popular procedure. I'm thinking the technology/experience just isn't quite there yet for me to do this surgery with confidence that I will get the results I want.

See, I'm not new to plastic surgery. I've had rhinoplasty before, and the results were perfect. I went from having a nose with a hump to a cute nose with a slope--a very drastic change. Best $7K I ever spent and I am now 100% confident about my nose. I have not spent a minute being insecure about my nose since I got the procedure in 2004.

But with all the before and afters I've seen on lip reduction, it seems like there is barely a difference. I mean, looking at Texas's Dr. Lam's photos in particular, I can seriously not tell a difference in the lip size (especially on the asian male patient of his). For $3K average surgery cost, I know it's not a lot compared to other procedures, but seriously, you expect smaller lips, you know? I'm not going to spend that much money for a small change.

I want VERY thin lips, but it looks like the best these surgeons will do is make it look barely smaller than what you already have because they're scared they'll ruin your lips or something.

I may consider going for a consult with Dr. Namintu to at least see if it's possible or not after he looks at my lips. He has the best before and after I've seen on the web (the black guy) and he looks trustworthy, though he doesn't seem to have all the plastic surgeon certifications I'd like... (Seems to be more certified for dental/mouth work.)

It's just a shame that this isn't really a popular procedure. Very few surgeons even list "lip reduction" as being an option on their website. I may just decide to live with my full lips and not roll a dice again on any more surgery, since I got lucky with my nose.

Quote:

*snip*

I want VERY thin lips, but it looks like the best these surgeons will do is make it look barely smaller than what you already have because they're scared they'll ruin your lips or something

Hi. I'm new here. Explaining my username, it's alex (my first name) plus MOTL which means "middle of top lip" ... Let me first begin by saying I love my bottom lip and the rest of my face. but my top lip looks a little swollen, especially in the middle section. When I turn my profile, the top lip looks like a ........ sad camel. That's the best way I can say it. I was gonna say it looks like Marge Simpson, the cartoon character from The Simpsons, but that's going too far. Sad camel is right. I just wanna reiterate that every other feature on my face is pretty awesome meaning my nose, eyes, jaw, chin, nice cheekbones, etc. My upper lip is my only complaint. Front view ain't so hot either but when I turn my profile I definitely see it, even in photographs. I've been reading this thread and to hear of imperfect surgeries is discouraging. Perhaps we don't hear as many stories of successful surgeries because the patients are happy and going on with life. As for the comment from the Caucasian poster who wants very thin lips, my first thought is the actress Jamie Lee Curtis. Not sure why I'm mentioning this. I don't think JLC is pretty. Heidi Klum, on the other hand, is very pretty and she has a very thin upper lip. Let me be clear, I think full lips can be amazing as long as they don't appear swollen and a mismatch. There are gorgeous people out there with full (but not too full) lips. Jessica Alba for example. (I will post a pic of myself here for you to see eventually. I need to dig around my computer for a side shot but honestly I doubt I have any. If I post a front shot you'll all say I look fine. Well, at least that's what I predict you'll all say) It would be nice to find a surgeon in new york who could tuck in or curl in my upper lip.

Just wanna say I'm not new to cosmetic surgery. I had my earlobes made smaller last summer ....I'm glad I did it. It was something I wanted for a years.

I have exactly the same problem as you alexMOTL. Just like yours, the center of my top lip seems to stick out and the rest of my face i am happy with.

My lips are irritating sometimes. I use lip balm all the time, witch i started using when i was about 15, when my lips started to irritate me. That helped. From then on i have been concious of my lips. The first thing i look at in the mirror, are my lips. The main anoyance though, is not the way they look, but the way they feel. I can sort of feel them on my face, like theyre some kind of external foriegn object. I know they dont look bad, but i can feel them, like there jutting an inch off my face.

END

I am not a member of this forum, but I was bored out of my mind so I thought I would post my experience. I am currently 24 hours out of surgery in Bangkok and it is a bit weird.

First of all, let me say I am a 27 year old American (black) male. I wanted to do this surgery do to the years of be made fun of as a child and it is something that has restricted to me from some things in life. Modeling, relationships, etc, I have been trough trials having over sized lips so I took this vacation time to get that take care of. Sort of a funny thing that happened the night before my surgery some little Thai kids trying to sell me something poked a little fun at my lips so even at my current age these things were still a source of laughter to some and I am a very confident man, lol.

Anyways, so the surgery took about 2 hours with local anesthetic so I was awake for the whole thing. It wasn't all that bad. The pain really cam from receiving the anesthetic, I mean the doctor really was pushing the needle far, but it was that bad. I watched as the doc marked my lips and preformed the surgery and rarely felt a thing. So I really have nothing to say on the actual surgery at the moment, but feel free to ask.

I am still in my swollen lip state seeing as how it has only been 24 hours. I sort of look like a catfish, lol!!! At the moment there is lite bleeding (last night was the worse of the bleeding but I wore a mask) There is a little tingling, a good deal of swelling, and not to much pain, just a awkward feeling with the stitches and my lips swelling.

I guess that is it for now I will try to update you guys as changes take place.

ManE

Hi. I'm a 27 years old male and I have fat lips. It wasn't noticeable until a few years ago when I became fat and started to suck my lips and cheeks (it's a bad habit but I enjoy doing it). My face looks ugly when I talk or smile, but I don't care how I look anymore and I don't want plastic surgery.

anyone know a really good lip reduction doctor in houston texas

Hey Mane,

How does your lips look one year later? Are you happy with the results or do you regret having a lip reduction?

I also have been considering getting my bottom lip reduced because it is very overwhelming the way ppl react to them when i talk.

I, also am african american and have seen two surgeons in ny who have performed this procedure on black patients.

Where do you live, did you get it done in the states?

Please help as much as you can, I am almost desperate to get it done now.

Thanks

LA

Hey, have you gone through the lip reduction surgery at all?

Hey jbody, I am glad you are very happy you gone through the lip reduction procedure. I am also trying to get it done. I've only seen 2 docs over the past 7 years who have performed this procedure. Do you live in ny if not where did u get the surgery done? Can you also post your before and after pics...I am so desperate to finally get it done. Your feedback would really help.

Thanks!

guest, just had lip reduction, it didn't hurt except for when be used the scissors to cut 10 slices in my lips.I'm bandaged right now, it hurt slightly all night right after the surgery, but I took pain peels and antibiotics and today the pain stop.The doc wants me to go see him tomorrow to remove the stitches which is weird because I thought it would take longer, he said the swelling would go down in 5 days which I hope because I have to go to work soon. he charged me 2000 for both top and bottom, I should have bargained for my upper lip which is smaller than my lower lip and asked for 1800 instead, but I was too excited because at first they told me 2500.Anyways I went see a Vietnamese doctor in Houston, I heard his assistance tell me that my left side was a little bigger which pissed me off and he told her to shush, but I'm hoping he will give me small lips like I hope because my lips were the size of Texas and everytime I talked to someone I felt my lips were my whole face, if it doesn' t come out even I will so go back and he better fix it.Anyways I had told him before my surgery that my right side of my face slightly bigger whether it' s my eyes or nose.So that's why he sucked out more fat on the right side, but if it's slight off then I won't mind.I already had 2 other surgeries done with this guy, when I was 18 that was 7 years ago and he did a great job, everything look so natural, that's the only reason why I went back to him.He's good but very old.To stop the swelling the day after surgery use listerine day and night since you can' t brush your teeth, put a bowl of cold water in the freezer for 30 minutes so it can be cold cold , dip a cloth in the cold water, wring and put on your face, then morning time do the same but with hot water and then put hydrogen peroxide on the stiches, let dry for 5 minutes, bandage back up, don't forget ointment every now and then to keep those lips moisturize.We live in a w anorld where looks matter no matter what anyone says.If you aren' t happy with how you look do what you have to do so you can have more confidence and be happier with