Community Administrator
You can use this thread to discuss topics related to sudden swelling of the lips, possible causes and symptoms. This thread is a sequent of the Swollen Lips thread.

I am not on any medications and chapped lips are rare for me. But during the last couple of days I started to feel a bit of soreness under my tounge and then the next day I felt tingling on the corners of my mouth, and then this morning I woke up with a swollen and painful bottom lip and also my gums were painful when I brushed my teeth. This is the first time I have had this happen, and I have not eaten or done anything out of the ordinary. I am going to get some good mouthwash and hope it goes away soon. This sucks! If anyone can help us please post here! :-(

Try this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatographic_urticaria

Hives caused by scratching, heat, or even pressure.

I discovered the cause of waking up in the morning with a swollen lip and/or tongue. I am allergic to a Redken hair product called "Disrupt" -- when I sleep at night, a small amount of the hair product residue is left on the pillow which gets rubbed on my face/lips/tongue during the night. If you're waking up with swollen lips, suspect your hair product(s) and/or cosmetics. To test, dab a small amount on your lips, then wipe it off. If it swells, you know you're allergic to that product.

I found out that my horrible lip and eye swelling is caused by the foreign antibodies in my system that also cause my Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (treated with Levothyroxin). The swelling is called angioedema. The antibodies also cause horrible hives and foot/hand swelling which are controlled by Benadryl, Zyrtec and Zantac. My symptoms are like so many of yours - I highly recommend getting your TSH and T3, T4 levels checked. Singulair has finally controlled the angioedema! Good luck - I hope my info helps!

I have had lip problems for the past 2 weeks now. It started with major itching in the corners of my mouth with small bumps and this morning I woke up with a major swollen top lip but only on right hand side. My lips also burn and itch.
I noticed last night when I was eating a salad with dressing made of olive oil and balsamic vinegar that my lips started tingling and by morning I had the swelling.
I think my prob is the combination of the balsamic vinegar (which I hear has sulfites) which I know I'm allergic to b/c I'm allergic to sulfa drugs and a recurrent yeast type infection in the corners of my mouth. Not to be gross, but I'm a woman so I've unfortunately experienced pelvic yeast infections and this feels the same but only it's affecting the corners of my mouth. Uggh!
Anyway from all the great posts on here I've decided to try oregano oil which was recommended on here under my tongue and on my lips to see if that helps and I'm going to stay away from the balsamic vinegar..oh and I forgot to mention Mangos. I've been eating a lot of them lately and somebody posted that they've had a reaction to them as well. So I'm going to add that to my list too. I'll post again with my results. Godspeed, my swollen lip friends... :O

My both lips swelled last night right after I used oral rinse Peridex prescripted by my dentist. I have been using it for about two weeks and nothing wrong before. I never have other allegic problems.
This forum is terrific. After going through the posts, I think my lip swelling was due to allergy caused by some ingredient in the oral rinse. Be careful in selecting oral rinse or mouth wash!

About one month ago I had a "dry spot" just above my upper lip. My lips seemed very dry - almost burned. My lips were swollen upon waking the next morning. Then the dry spot seemed to move down under my bottom lip as well. I felt like a kid who keeps licking their lips and has that red/dry rash all around my lips then. I stopped wearing lipstick and using my normal lipbalm and changed to plain old vaseline. I noticed what seemed to be little bumps ON my lips - upper and lower that came then and now they come and go at will, sometimes in a matter of hours.

It has evolved now so that my entire lips are swollen almost constantly. The bumps may or may not show up. Three nights ago I couldn't sleep because it felt like my lips were "wet" - I finally figured out they were oozing. The next day I had two spots, one on the upper lip and one on the lower, that almost resembled a cold sore (which I have never had). I purchased Abreva, in the offchance it was a cold sore. But by the next morning, the crust had fallen off both spots and my lips and one would never know I had anything there; however, they have continued to ooze constantly and, especially at night, they crust. The crust comes off very easily. They feel extremely chapped though.

I have been using Eucerin on my lips, then a layer of vaseline. It helps them not to feel tight (as they are almost always constantly swollen now) although I wind up coating them several times an hour while awake. Sometimes they almost look/appear as though they have shed and have new skin. By the way, my lips are now a deep, rich color when before they were a very pale color. ??? Go figure. By the way, Blistex seemed to make the symptoms worse.

This morning my husband told me when I woke up that my eyes were swollen as well. I can't think of anything new I've used lately. I am on an ACE inhibitor, which I stoppped taking for a week to see if symptoms went away - they didn't, so I didn't think it was that.

While waiting for an appointment with a specialist, I am hoping that there might be a doctor who reads these posts who can give some idea what it might be. It sounds as though many have seen specialists who have no idea either, though. Any ideas? I don't feel it's life threatening but it certainly can be life inhibiting...

I have been reading almost 10 pages of posts for the last hour with much interest. I had no idea that this was as common as it appears to be. About 2 weeks ago, after eating dinner, I felt a tingling sensatation on my upper lip. Within minutes it began swelling, but only the upper lip in the middle. I took a benadryl and it seemed to help, although there was still some swelling and a tightness the next day. Then followed by some dryness and peeling. Someone at work mentioned her husband has the same thing happen when he eats strawberries. Well, I'm 31 and have always eaten strawberries so I was skeptical, however I did have strawberries with dinner. I kind of forgot about the incident, then last night started to feel the same sensation occur after dinner. Again, only the upper lip middle section. And, guess what? I had strawberries with dinner again! So, I'm pretty certain that my reaction is food allergy (strawberry) related, and I would bet that many of the cases are food allergy related as well. I honestly don't think I would have suspected strawberries if my co-worker hadn't mentioned it.

Now, I also suffer occasionally from another lip issue that some people seemed to describe perfectly and I cannot seem to find the link for this reaction. Out of the blue my lips become very tight and dry. A outline of small red bumps like lip liner appears. Then the peeling and flaking begins. My lips become a deep red (raw) color and this whole thing can last up to a month. It's relatively painless, but it drives me mad! No amount of moisterizer seems to help.

I'm not registered but I'm posting anyway.

Lately I have this spot on my bottom lip on the right hand side. It started off being really dry and chapped and then since I've used blistex on it isn't as dry but when i stop it feels really tight. It started being dry again so I got Neosporin Lip Treatment. It works but still my lip feels tight.

I notice that sometimes when I eat something hot my lip feels even tighter in that spot. It's not a cold sore. It doesn't tingle, it doesn't burn and it isn't blistering up or any of the other typical cold sore symptoms.

What the heck is the deal? Thanks

I've spent the last 45 minutes reading posts of people with the same problem I've had: going to sleep normal lips and awaking with a very swollen upper lip, swelling sometimes goes down during the day to become dry and red. The cycle repeats. Today the doctor gave me Zyrtek and a graduated series of prednizone. It appears to be helping (already) - the benedryl I tried last episode, was not enough. I think it is sugar, yeast, and not enough water. After reading posts, and applying info. to my symptoms (including an irritable gut when this lip-swelling is rearing its ugly and irritating head) is how I have come to the sugar/yeast/lack of H20. Over time, if it works, I'll post again.

saturday evening After i used cvs brand mouth wash i put on some carmex and i noticed little bumps forming on my top lip. i thought the carmex would get rid of them but it kinda mad it worse. so i took it off and then slept with nothing on my lips. the next morning i woke with swollen lips and the tiny red bumps. ive read tons of forums. maybe it was the mouth was and or carmex? ive stopped using both and just put vaseline on my lips. the bumps dont burn or puss. i just feel like the top layer of my lips r very dry. but now i think im starting to feel a little tingly sensation because of my smiling maybe? i just feel so embarrassed. heartachemixtape at gmail.com if anyone can help.

Hiya all, I've done a search and there are some really similar but no exact symptoms that have been happening to me. Anyone can actually explain?

First occasion happened probably about 6 - 7 months ago, I had this upper lip swelling whilst working. Didnt know what was the cause, I kinda panicked and left work. Visited doctor, doctor can't seem to find out what was the cause. Prescribed some medicines and went back. Really don't know if the medicine worked or did the swelling dissapear by itself.

Next occasion, probably 3 - 4 months back. Lips swelled again. Body was itching realised there were something similar to " mosquito bites " . Rushed to the hospital, the " mosquito bites " were gone. However, lips was still swelling. Doctor then prescribed some anti allergy medicines. Only similar things on how the swelling/rash occur was the time. It happened between 5pm - 8pm.

This week, I'm having these " mosquito bites " again. Only difference with the 2nd occasion was the time. It now happens around 12midnight to 5am. I was having them for the last few nights when I was sleeping. When I woke up, everything was gone. So I didn't really care.

Until now, it's really starting to bother me. The " mosquito bites " and lip swelling is still going on and I really don't know what should I do. Should I go for a blood test or something?

Is anyone having the same situation as mine?

Just wanted to let you know that this EXACT same thing has happened to me. I felt like my lips were getting dry one day last fall and I didn't think it was a big deal so I put on a little chapstick and just ignored it. Big mistake! It started to progressively get worse and a few days later my lips were cracking and crusty and I had developed a red outline of a "ring" around my top and bottom lips. People who work in my office couldn't believe how bad it was, and I felt like a freak. I tried using many different lip balms and chapsticks, but they definitely didn't cut it at all. My condition was far beyond anything that chapstick could fix. Close friends of mine mentioned to me that maybe I should see a doctor in case I had contracted herpes. However, I knew this could not be the case at all, because I haven't been sexually active in almost 2 years and it would have showed up before. Also, I didn't have "cold sores" on my lips like you would see with herpes, more just like really dry, red, inflamed skin that was cracking. After trying many different things, I found out that putting on a thick layer of Vaseline is the best remedy. I reapply Vaseline to my lips throughout the day and especially right before bed, and within a few days they are back to normal. The problem is that now the dry, inflamed lips come and go. I will not have it for weeks, but then it may start back up all of a sudden.

I'm trying to figure out what triggers it. It could be caused by the fact that I have a fan on at night blowing toward my face, and that could be drying my lips out. Or it could be some type of allergy (I've heard of people being allergic to their toothpaste or certain ingredients in their lipstick or lipgloss). I believe the red ring I had around the lips is mostly from licking them when they began to get dry. It's just frustrating at this point because I have no idea how long I'm going to have to deal with this. Is it going to keep coming back for the rest of my life? Since summer is coming up, I'm hoping the warm weather will be the cure for my dry lips and I can stop having to reapply Vaseline all the time. I'm also tired of people looking at me like I've got herpes on my mouth or something! Well anyways, just wanted to let you know what worked for me and what didn't. I hope that helped someone!

I too get the red ring around my top lip...It is pretty shitty because it makes me look like im weaing lip liner...I think it get worse when i lick my lips but if i brush my teeth a couple times it gets better. For that reason I believe our problem to be yeast, most likely candida... I use berts bees waz heavy and then whipe it off mostly. Also drink lots and lots of water and brush your teeth untill it gets better. Stay away from sugary foods and drinks. Orange juice is a killer. also peanut butter and mushrooms...just drink pleanty of water...I drink about 6 bottles a day, home depot has water tanks...I got my dispenser from my dads office, not sure if they sell them at home depot, and its like $5 to exchange for a new one which is 5 gallons. If you drink a lot of water i recommend calling around and surfing the web for a water distributor. I think they put the dispenser in your house and then just charge u for the water you use. anyways good luck and if someone finds an over the counter topical cream or another solution PLEASE email me _[removed]_.