Hi, I have a huge problem. I searched the net, tried few forums but no result. You’re my last hope. The problem is next – from time to time my lips swell up to 8-10 times their normal size. So far I could not determine the reason. All I feel (the only symptom) is a slight tingling sensation on the part of the lip that is about to swell up, just before it really happens. In short time, lips swell and that tingling sensation remains present until the swelling goes down. In most cases swelling doesn’t last to long (hour, hour and a half) but there were times when it lasted up to four hours. What is wrong with me? What can I do about it? Is there any cure?? Please help!!!

From your description, I believe that your problem is from disease called angio-oedema. Just as you described, swelling may last for minutes, hours and, in some extreme cases, even over a day. This reaction of your lips is an allergic response. Do you have any allergies?? OR, is there anyone in your close family with allergies??? It is very possible that you inherited it from someone… Anyway, you should have allergy test to determine what you are allergic on. When you find that answer, I believe that will solve half of your problem – you will receive prescription for it. By controlling your allergy, you will be able to control your lips, too. In meantime, you can try to minimize effects using Loratidine, Chlorpheniramine or similar.

I have the exact same problem. I know it has passed already a year, but I would like to get in contact with you to discuss possible causes. For example, for about 4 times it happened the next day after I had alcohol (e.g. wine and margarita). Some times I also get some itching around my body. Hope to get in touch. L.

Hello there! Wow, it’s been a while since I got a mail from steadyhealth. com!
I used to hang around here getting all sorts of interesting infos.

Anyway, about the swelling. It seems as if traylor was right. My dermatologist found I had this chronic angioedema.

I remember I had to think of all possible symptoms I had and situations I have been into when the swelling occurred.

She suspected angioedema first but she wanted to make sure there wasn’t an underlying disease. There wasn’t.

Have you seen any of the doctors yet?
Tell me, is the swelling the only symptom you’re experiencing? What about breathing problems?

I am not so sure that alcohol is the cause? Have you maybe eaten anything before you had alcohol?

my husband woke up saturday morning with swollen lips went to the Dr. on Sunday they gave him famvir for it but did not know what it is just gave him this medication and sent him on his way his symptoms are swollen lips, burning, mouth sores, dry chaping lips, can eat and just got over a 4 or 5 days of having 3 cold sores on his mouth and 1 in side of his nose we need help please advise as to what he should do
thank you kathy

Hi, I have a similar problem. I noticed about a year ago whenever I drink alcohol my gum starts to fill tingly. This last time, with the tingle, my lip on one side was swollen. What is going on?

You could be allergic to some of the alcohol ingredients. Many people experience different symptoms after drinking alcohol. Some people suffer from face flushing, other get swollen lips, red patches all over the body, itchy eyes, swelling inside ears, etc

I myself suffer from red patches on face and scaling.

It is said that we are not allergic to alcohol itself but to some ingredients used for making alcohol or our body fails to metabolize alcohol all the way, so some of the toxins start accumulating and causing these disorders.

Some of the additives used in alcohol production are brewers yeast, molds, grapes, eggs, corn, sulfites, pesticides, etc

If you are really eager to find out what exactly is causing your adverse reactions, here is what you could do: Find out which ingredients were used in production of the specific drink that you had a reaction to. Get those ingredients and perform a skin-prick test. If you get a reaction to a certain ingredient, then you are allergic.

It started about 3 weeks ago. My lips became very dry, as they tend to do and I used chapstick for moisture. After a few days it still had not helped and I noticed a throbbing in my lips and now they are swollen with tiny tiny sores on them. Anyone had these symptoms? I have refrained from all lipsticks and glosses and stuck with only blistex and vaseline, still no relief. :$

Hodges, I am having the SAME exact problem!
I don't know if I'm allergic to something, or what, but it seems every time I use that Cover Girl lipstick...outlast, This happens. I'm just guessing, here, but last Friday I used the lipstick...the one where you 'paint' it on, let it dry, and then use the gloss on top whenever you need it. Well, I woke up Saturday EARLY from a stinging in my lips (the same feeling that had happened several months before) and sure enough, my lips were puffing up! Saturday didn't feel too crazy, I just kept them moist with chapstick. Well, yesterday they started getting sore and then this morning....WHOA! They are killing me! I look like I went and paid for a REALLY BAD lip injection! Im noticing almost sweating like beads on them, as well. And they are RED like a little cupie doll..with the little dots. Anyone have any clue?? This is so bad I don't want to leave the house!

I have been having these symptoms for years now. My lips get red, hot, swollen and itchy. It almost looks as if I've got clown makeup around my lips. I also get what looks to be small zits around the affected area from time to time. Today it started after I used the Blistex medicated balm. Normaly I use the Chapstick medicated, or recently I tried the Aveeno. My lips get chapped easily and the last time this happened I was working in a cooler. It definitely is embarrassing. Today the roof of my mouth has become a bit numb as well as part of my lips.

I've been getting "sausage" lips every single time I travel. The lips go red and dry, and the area just surrounding the area get red too so that I look almost like a clown. This happens whenever I go on a road trip, or when I fly to another country or within the country. I drink plenty of water and it still happens. Is it the change of climate? Anyone has the same experience? I'm getting frustrated with the problem.

If you get red burning lips when you travel it could be an allergic reaction to MSG (added to some foods). Every time I eat food with MSG my lips turn very red and dry. You need to read all food labels and and ask the cook at the resteraunt before ordering. Alot of prepared foods at the store have it like soups or sausage or spicy foods and a lot of Chinese food resteraunts add it.

I have the same problem. my lips are swollen. and it's getting embarassing. and i even forgot my lip balm to help keep it moist for the mean time. my mom said, it could have been that im not drinking enough water. the first time it happened to me, i drank lots of water and after a day or two, it went back to normal. now im having it again. could it be the sudden change of weather?

any over the counter medications? i still have to call my doctor about it.

The lip swelling has happened to me already twice in the past month and a half. At first I though it was an allergiv reaction to iodine...fish. But I havent had any fish at all and this morning I look like a freak. I still believe its an allergic reaction. But to lipstick. I hadnt worn any lipstick since the last kip swelling. I was using vaseline. I tried putting on lipstick yesterday and sure enough, lip swelling. Does anyone know how to fix the swelling?? Help me!!

This can also be a condition associated with Hashimoto's hypothyrodism. My children get this swelling...

...J