This post is an extension of the
Constant vaginal bleeding now for 6 months thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

So would the D&C mess up any chances of getting pregnant again? We've been wanting to try for our second child, but all of this bleeding is getting in the way, and we're already four months past the time we were hoping to get pregnant again. (We made sure they weren't born too early together, and now we want to make sure they're not born too far apart!) I want all of this bleeding to stop, but I still want to be able to have more children. I finally get to to go the doctor Thursday, so maybe they'll find out what's wrong... Or maybe they won't find anything, like most of your doctors seem to say... Either way, I'll share it with you guys.

okay, so I had gotten excited about the results and haven't been back on here since the doctor's visit... Here's what happened:

I went in- (and without insurance, just for the visit alone and for him to confirm what I thought was wrong and give me a perscription, it cost me $72) I didn't get an exam done. He didn't think I needed one. AND he said he would advise against getting a D&C done unless absolutely necessary. He said he thought it was most likely a hormone problem. I told him that I thought so, too, after all the research I had done. So he told me he would put me on the pill for 3 months, and then I should go off of it and see what happens, and if I still bleed every day after that, then he would do an exam and try to see what else might be the problem.

Anyway, I got the perscription filled and after two days of taking the pills, I stopped bleeding completely. He was right, it overrided my hormones and he fixed it.

He also said that part of the hormone problem was caused not only from the shot I had stopped taking over a year ago, but from gaining weight. He said my glands send a chemical to my fat cells, which produce more of the hormone that makes me keep bleeding. Something like that.

Anyway, I hope this info helps any of you!

I've had the same problem that all of you are experiencing. I am 21 years old and I have now been bleeding constantly for 5 months. I've seen my GYN and he ran all these tests and did 2 ultra sounds and I have a slight hormonal imbalance but nothing huge. He placed me on birth control and at the end of my first pack I started to cramp really badly and bleed really heavily. I would be wearing a tampon and pad and have to change my tampon every 30 minutes. I went back and saw him and he switched my birth control pills to something different. It slowed down my period, but I still have light bleeding.

My sister had this same exact problem and I seem to be following in her footsteps. She had children at a young age and began to expierence problems there after. She had a D&C in 2005(give or take a year) and it helped. After awhile she began to have more problems and with in a few months, she had another D&C, was placed on double birth controls, was admitted to the hospital and given estrogen shots and then it eventually resulted in a hysterectomy in August of 08.

If any of you find a cure for this, please let me know. I am young, still havent gotten a chance to have children so I'd like to get my female cycle back on track before something bad happens.
-Kristi C

Ok ive read many of these posts and am quite excited that im not the only one going through these problems, im 19. and this problem has been going on since i was 15. i thought it would even out over a couple of years so i ignored it. but now im getting kind of freaked out because its actually getting worse. first i would have a period. then go 6 months to a year without haveing one at all, then i would get a really heavy one that would last for about 2 weeks. but now for the last 3 - 4 months the bleeding only stops one or two days a month! It just doesnt seem to go away! im soooo sick of bleeding! :-( But im working on seeing a doctor. I dont have insurence and im not working at the moment so it might be hard but i hear planned parenthood seems to have a very good settup for people in my situation. So i think im going to call them tomorrow and figure something out! Hopefully its just hormones! :O

Kristi C -

I was really disappointed to hear about your sister. I've been bleeding now for 125 days. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant with our second child since september of 2007, and have had no luck. I have never gotten regular periods, maybe 4 inside of a year's time.. at most. So it is obvious that I don't ovulate on a regular basis. On July 6th 2008, I started bleeding and have been ever since. In August I saw a GYN and she ran a blood test [where my HGB came back as 8.5 - regularly for women it is supposed to be above 12 I believe], and put me on a medication called Provera. Back in 2005, around the same time.. I had bleeding for 12 weeks and was put on Provera, and it stopped my bleeding. I had had a low HGB - I think a count of 7 point something - and so they gave me a blood transfusion and I was fine after. I hadn't yet become a mother [not until May 2007]. So I figured provera would work for me this time as well. I stopped bleeding 3 days after starting provera, and on day 6, I had forgotten to take my dose. By day 7 I was bleeding again at full force. Now, I go through a super plus tampon once every hour or two.. when I'm bleeding regularly, and I get large blod clots. So I called my doctor after a few days to let her know that I was bleeding again, and hadn't stopped even though I resumed my medication. She then called back, and called in a birth control pill called Yasmin, and instructed me to take it twice a day, along with iron.. until I stopped bleeding, adn then to resume taking one dose a day. I did this, and the bleeding lightened.. but continued. I started feeling dizzy and nauseous and my knees were giving out, and I was bleeding heavily again, so I went to the ER. They did an HGB test and my count was 7.1. They admitted me and gave me a transfusion, and the GYN I saw there diagnosed me with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrom. She instructed me to continue on the Yasmin again with a double dose for a week, and then a single dose for the rest of the 3 months that I was originally supposed to take it for. I have been doing this since september, and have had constant bleeding, some days heavier than others. Finally I was supposed to have my follow up appointment last week, but had a cold so I missed it. I rescheduled and saw a different GYN just yesterday, and am currently bleeding very heavily and taking double doses of Yasmin. the GYN told me up front that he thought I needed a D&C since the hormone treatments didn't seem to be working, and that it is likely something else - not a hormonal problem like with most patients with PCOS. He sent me to get another blood test done, to make sure my HGB wasn't super low - in which case I would need an emergency D&C - but my HGB hadn't gone down from when I'd gotten my last transfusion - due to the fact that I'm taking iron every day. I highly recommend this to keep yourself healthy while bleeding! - and so he scheduled me an appointment to talk to the doctor who would be doing this outpatient surgery on tuesday. I will know more then about what will happen.

After reading about your sister, Kristi, I'm terrified that a hysterectomy is my ultimate fate. I want more than anything in life to have more children, considering I am only 21 years old. I was feeling pretty confident about this D&C proceedure.. feeling like something was finally going to be done to fix my bleeding.. but now I'm worried that it might just continue. I guess along with the D&C they are going to just explore around to find out if there is anything obvious causing my bleeding. I'm very nervous about this, especially considering I've never had surgery before. I'm hoping all goes well, and I will report back.

So as i originally posted the thread i thought that i would update everybody. The bleeding probably lasted 9 months all in all constantly. i had the ultra sounds and tests as described in the very first posting. by the time i got to specialist nurse i had stopped bleeding constantly and only during/after intercourse.
the doctor said i had a condition where the cells grow on the outside of the womb rather than the inside (i cant remember the name of the condition) so when you have intercourse the penis rubs against the cells and this is what causes the bleeding during intercourse. aparently very common in people that have had chilldren or women on the contraceptive pill. I am able to have these cells burnt off but they advised me that as i am still on the pill they will more than likely grow back again.

As for the constant bleeding they never did find out what it was, i just ensure that i book myself in for a smear every year to be on the safe side.

Hope this helps and i am really glad i posted the problem all those years ago as it seems to have brought lots of people in the same situation together to discuss.

the medical name for the condition i had was ectropion.

**edited by moderator**

I bled constantly for 12 months. I had my blood taken at least a dozen times to test for everything from thyroid problems to cancer. Everything came back normal, I had repeated vaginal exams, I tried different birth controls, I had ultrasounds and nothing looked abnormal. So one month ago I had a D&C with hysteroscopy. They said my tubes were open and there were no polyps or abnormalities in my uterus. I had a normal period (6 days) after the procedure and since have not had any bleeding. I have an appoint in three days for a follow up. I was put on Clomid because it was determined I was not ovulating. I took ovulation tests all month and my LH never surged. I guess the bleeding was caused by lack of ovulation...

Come to find out I was bleeding from 2-14-2008 till 9-10-2008 all because I have a hypothyroid which caused a hormonal imbalance in my body which now I have high blood pressure along with the hormonal imbalance and the hypothyroid. My doctors ran tons of test because I pushed him to do so, I did an ultra sound, pregnancy test all types of blood work and finally the problem was resolved. I am not saying that we all have that same issue but my bleeding was induced due to one part of my bady and organs that is not functioning right. My solution for you guys is to do just as I am get testing till they find out what is the cause of this problem. It is an epidemic that is affecting us all at such a young age I am 25 and I had my son at 18 and suffered from this bleeding scare since I was 20 and was on that othroevra patch. I gained weight thanks to that patch and I mean it if I would have not taken that patch I probably might not be going through all of this. I really do feel that we all should ban together and fight against this as one if one finds a solution then we should post it because in the long run my solution may not work for you but another womans solution may. My doctor explained to me that the body is like a train track and if there is something blocking a path then there is always a disturbance, so with that being said plee with your doctors to test all of what needs to be tested to rule out and single out the issue. May god help us fight this not as individuals but as a whole.

I read a lot of the stories posted. Relieved some of my concern to know many others have the same inconvenience. I am 50 with normal weight and blood pressure,active and feeling fine for now. Last month dark slightly smelly light secretions. Now continuous moderate flow of fresh red blood for weeks so far. I will try some remedies mentioned:1/2 tsp.turmeric 2X daily , ibuprofen, geritol, Vitex fruit from GNC,and blackstrap molasses. Menopause symptoms ,I don't know?? Will try some of these. Don't want to get anemic. Trust God.

I can't tell you how much it has helped me to see that I'm not the only one with this problem.

I've been bleeding for six months now. It's definitely a big deal for me and my husband. The flow is heavy enough that I go through three pads a day- plus running to the bathroom to deal with clots (oh how fun!) the size of golf balls. I've had some light discomfort in my lower abdomen as well.

Here's what I've had done so far- Went to the gyno and had a vag ultrasound, one ovary was slightly enlarged. I also had a minor hormone imbalance. They found that I had some insulin resistance so they sent me to my general practitioner.
They did tests for thyroid (full thyroid scale) and all was normal.
I went back to the gyno and had more tests done. A biopsy of my cervix, more ultrasounds, pap smears, STD panel- all fine. So back to the GP and they are sending me to an endocrinologist for further 'metabolic' causes.

Yesterday I went and had yet another pelvic ultrasound (and vag as well) and they called today saying that one of my fallopian tubes looks swolen. As well as an imbalance in ovary size. They told me to call my gyno immediately and get in to see her. So now I'm off to the gyno today so they can do their own ultrasounds. *sigh*

I don't know what the hell is going on and I'm scared as well as frustrated. This has been going on for half a year and just now they are starting to see that this is important.

I'll come back on with any updates that I have.

Thank you all very much for sharing your stories. Here's hoping we all find our solutions and can start living a normal life again soon.

Just reading this made me feel way less alone, so thanks to everyone who's posted their story. I've been bleeding every day, with the exception of 3 days in January, since October 6 of last year. It's now April. I've had my period since I was 13, and I was never regular, but I did go 6 months last year without a period at all. Then after two months of a regular period, I get this never ending crimson wave! I've never been on birth control, haven't been sexually active in 2 years, but I am overweight. I'm 23 years old and it's getting ridiculous bleeding so much- summer is coming! I get the clots too and I'm so sick of spending all this money on pads. I'm so sick of everyone (drs) saying nothing is wrong. How are we supposed to live like this?

Sarah

I am 23, gained a lot of weight in the last 4 years, always had imbalance periods but now it’s too much. At first I use to not have blood and then have blood up to ten days, started taking a very good birth control for the hormones in my body and then stopped ( because I wanted to be pregnant someday) Wow so I am not alone, every time I mentioned this to someone they would act like it’s unheard off. The truth is I have not been to the GYN and I should have, I am wondering what the cause of this could be but it is bothering me…. I am tired of purchasing pads and tampons and the summer is coming up I need to be free….. I have been using excessive toilet paper because I am tired of wearing pads and tampons and that is so not hygienic. The GYN are so expensive and won’t see me without the proper insurance (since I am international), so u ladies have helped me understand better what my condition could be, some are more scary then others but the fact that some of u have been bleeding for longer gives me hope that I will be fine ( as crazy as this may sound I know that I can keep bleeding and be ok I guess). I am most worrying that
1= I will not be able to have children
2= I will lose the love of my life, for some reason I think the bleeding does come with PMS symptoms and I have been very very moody and paranoid and my mood swings has affected my relationship.
My man does not seem as bothered since mister does not need to use a condom anymore……
Maybe it’s god way to protect me from actually having a baby now, or to keep my body clean…. I know it’s him but he also wants me to find out….. so let us know if any of u have answers still…
With much love and comprehension
God bless you all.