I have to admit that I have not seen a doctor about this yet --- I do not like going to doctors as I always leave feeling stupid because I get the feeling they don't believe me. I am overweight and things are blamed on that often. I know that doesn't help me at all and that is a whole other story that I need to take care of......but when something is wrong I know it. The last specialist I was sent to made me cry right in his office and that just embarrases me.

The problem is that I am experiencing constant vaginal bleeding. I can't remember a day in the last 3 months that there hasn't been something. Before that I might have gone a 1/2 week with nothing but otherwise it is the same story. It will be light for a couple of days and then EXTREMELY heavy for 1 or 2 and then fall somewhere in between. When it is very heavy I pass several LARGE blood clots (can fill the palm of my hand) and I find I am changing sanitary supplies in less that 10 minutes. I can't sit, stand, lay down without having to change my clothes.

I am only 26 years old and all searches I have done online come up with pregnancy related issues. I am not and have never been pregnant.

Anyone had anything similar?

I had similar symptoms along with really heavy cramping. Turned out to be endometriosis

Have you changed your birth control lately? That coulf very well be the problem. I changed from Ortho_try to the Ortho_lo and I bled for about a month afterwards. It has something to do with the fluctuations in hormones. If you are using an oral birth control I suggest you switch to another brand or try another method.

CAR wrote:

Anyone had anything similar?

January 2007
YYYYEEEESSSSS! This is exactly what I have been experiencing... My local PCP says it's polycistic ovarian syndrome -- however, i have my doubts. Five years ago I was diagnosed with Cushing's Disease and had a pituitary tumor removed. Within the last 3 years my symptoms have returned. From December 2005 to June 2006 i did not have any periods. Starting right around the beginning of the July my period/bleeding started and has not stopped since. Like the above experience, some days have been light or just spotting and then for no reason with no pattern (days, months, etc.) i will start heavily bleeding/clots, etc. coming out. I would even go so far as to call it hemoraging. I'm currently overweight and have gained alot of weight in the past few years. I believe the weight gain is associated with the hormone imbalance. I have an appt. with my PCP this week and hope to get some answers. I am 30 years old, never been pregnant, not on birth control pills or any over the counter prescriptions. I have no pelvic pain or cramps, i've simply been bleeding almost every single day for the past 6 months. Has the person who posted the above message please let me know if you found any answers. Please email at _[removed]_.

I can relate to the posted comment from the 26 year old woman who has been bleeding for 3 months. I have experienced identical symptoms and am also overweight. I am 30 years old, am not and have never been pregnant. I do not currently take birth control or any other over the counter prescriptions. I also have not experienced pain or cramps with the bleeding. I have simply been bleeding almost every single day for the past 6 months and some days I would call it hemorraging; clots and blood gushing out of me uncontrollably.

Have you found answers yet? I am seeing my PCP this week. I mentioned it to her during my yearly exam (which came back normal) and she suggested PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). This may be a possibility, however I know that PCOS has similar symptoms as Cushing's Disease. 5 years ago i was diagnosed with Cushing's Disease and had a pituitary tumor removed. I felt that i had pretty much recovered but my periods have not been regular since. Prior to the nonstop bleeding, I had gone 6 months without a period. Within the last three years my symptoms of Cushing's Disease have returned (weight gain, facial fullness, facial hair, skin tags, stretch marks, fatigue, aches/painful joints/bones, depression, anger/aggression, low libido, etc.). I am seeing a pituitary specialist for Cushing's treatment but I would like to find out if the bleeding is somehow linked or if it is separate? And either way, how can I stop it? I won't be seeing my specialist for another month or so. Please help!

I have been having the same problems with constant vaginal bleeding, some days light but out of nowhere it is horrible hemorrhaging with huge clots and needing to change pads every 15 minutes. These problems have been going on for about 2 years with no gynecologist being able to tell me what is wrong. I am 39 years old, a little older than the rest of you writing in, and I have had 3 children with my last one being almost 5 years ago. I am also overweight so doctors tend to dismiss my complaints as coming from an etiology of obesity. I do have some blood disorders, one that makes me clot and one that makes me bleed and birth control pills nearly killed me 8 years ago because of what it does to hormones and my clotting disorder. I have been to top doctors at the top Boston hospitals and no one can figure out what is wrong. But I understand your pain; I'm feeling it, too. Hang in there!

It is good to find out that I am not alone in this. I have been going through the same thing since March 2006. I have been reading as much as I can to try to find out what is wrong with me.

September 2006, my doctor found a nodule on my thyroid. I tried alternative medicine to lower my TSH levels, to no avail. After seeing doctor who helps women who have hormonal problems, he told me that he thought that my "dysfunctional bleeding" was due to low thyroid function.

Once I started the thyroid medication, very reluctantly I might add, the bleeding slowed down significantly. I don't have the heaving clotting episodes that I was experiencing, but the bleeding does continue. I am on day 42 of this cycle, and I am hiping and praying that once it stops, I will resume normal periods. (Wishful thinking doesn't hurt anyone)

I have been reading articles on Cushings Disease and how this may be a symptom of it? I have also read that low thyroid and low progesterone can show these symptoms as well.

I am sorry you are going through this. I know how miserable it is to have to have a pad on all the time! Good luck, I think I am going to wait another week or so and if mine doesn't improve, I am going to see a board certified reproductive endocrinologist. I think they will know more than the average endocrinologies.

If anyone finds out anything please post it here. I would love to know how to solve this for myself.

I had this and I do Have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. I went to my Gynecologist last year when i kept Bleeding thinking I might have Cancer but my Gynecologist said I had Fibroid Tumors on my Ovarys and te only way to stop the bleeding was to have A complete Hysterectomy. However my bleeding stopped so I haven't done that yet. However I started taking one Baby aspirin every day and I guess that must have thineed the tumors out because I haven't bled in almost a year now and this is the only thing I did Differently. I hope this helps.

I started my period when I was 7yrs. old and only had a normal period for 2 years. My periods have been super wrong ever since. I am now 20 yrs. old and have been on my period for the past 2 1/2 to about 3 years with minimal pause in between, like a 3 days every 3 to 5 months. I have been on every birth control my gyn can think of. It will give me a break, but only for a short time (like a 2 weeks). Pain, hospital visits, staying in bed for days at a time Ive been there. I've never been pg or had any miscarriages. Doctors seem to know nothing considering they like to tell me everything is normal. I wont take birth control anymore because it seems the only thing it is doing is making me gain weight. This is and emotional drag considering I'm married and I know my husband is grossed out with all the cleaning up afterwards, its actual embarassing. The best advise I can give you all at this time is to try to maintain a good diet (that means no fast food) and try taking multi vitamins ... I take the flinstone gummies cause they taste good and the normal adult one make me sick and nausious. Try to get a walk in every night if possible the bit of excersise helps(this is not just for people over weight I was no were near over weight when this all started). Hang in there

I have the same thing, bleeding very heavy for months at a time while passing large clots and constantly changing my clothes. I have been to several gyn doctors regarding this and they said it is related to obesity. I was told it is called inovulatory bleeding and it comes from the lining of my uterus becoming too thick due to non ovulation from being overweight.

I have been treated with provera (progesterone) b/c I cannot take the pill. I am 33 years old and have been treated since March of 2005 for this annoying and dangerous problem. If bleeding persists SEE A DOCTOR! Good luck.

I also have had the same symptoms and same blow offs from doctors due to my being over weight. I did find some alternative therapy that actually helps. If you take dandelion, yarrow and milk thistle together every 8 hours it eases the bleeding. Ibuprophen is also helpful for cramping but, has many unwanted side effects so be careful.

Wow, thanks for all the good info. I have had the same issues and I didn't want to go to the dr. for fear they would think I was crazy. Some months it last forever and is so horrible and some months I can go without a period. Good to know there are also women who have gone through or are going through this.

You all should try a naturopathic doctor...my daughter is starting to have this problem and he explained several things affect your hormones at a cellular level. He recommended some things to help repair her problems that are individual to her (that's why I won't say them on here) and he did a 2 hour evaluation with her, asked a million and one questions. Then gave the remedy. I am very happy, we still have an appointment with the western med doc for blood work, etc, but western med docs seem to only treat the symptoms not the problem. Which makes me feel that they really are not sure exactly what is wrong. (And I work in a hospital and see that ALL the time!)

I honestly thought i was the only one in the world that was going through this. However, I will I'm at a slight disadvantage. You all have medical insurance, I have nothing!!!! I wish, I could see a doctor.
I have been bleeding heavy for the past year every single day!! That's right, a year from March 08 to now, I have worn a sanitary pad everyday. Before March 08, I had no period from sept 07, to march after going to the urgent care only to find out nothing and get stuck with a huge bill. before than i was bleeding like 6 weeks at a time, now its none stop, and its very difficult to maintain a relationship. Bleeding interupts sex!!!
I bleed very huge blood clots that are jelly like-totally gross! I don't know what's the problem, but I have been doing a lot of research online and I think our problem has to do with fibroid!!! Please e-mail me if anyone has found any solutions because I am dying and can not take this anymore!! I want answers....please.

I went through the same things..Heavy bleeding, gross clots, and gushes of blood if i stood up or changed positions. I'm also overweight and felt that nobody really wanted to help me because of it.
I finally went to an amazing gyno who had all sorts of tests and ultrasounds, and internal exams done. They found NOTHING wrong with any part of me physically, and was told it was hormonal. I went on the pill for one month- and got pregnant while on the pill. I ended up having a miscarriage at 5 weeks. Its been 3 months since the miscarriage. And since I have had regular normal periods. I went to the gyno just a few weeks ago, and he said everything appears to be back to normal. I recommend trying the pill, but using an alternate method of birth control, as the hormonal shift can cause pregnancy. The brand I used was Yasmin, and Im off of it now since everything is back to normal.