I have chronic constipation which is getting worse despite buckets of fiber, colace type medications, I can not get much exercise due to chronic leg and hip (nothing wrong with my hip per MRI) pain which I know contributes to the problem. Can constipation be part of disc disease?

Yes disc problem can cause constipation if the disc is herniated or protruding and is pushing against the thecal sack. I have similar problem. but the doctors have not been able to find anything yet.

I also have a long term constipation problem. The only thing that has ever helped me is Raisin bran. Raw apples help to but are no substitution for Raisin bran. I started out having to eat it every day but after about 10 years of eating it, I can get away with only eating it twice a week. Also for me, eating more fiber never worked and only made the problem worse. Drinking the recommended 8 glasses of water a day seemed to help.