Is continous absence type of epilepsy? Is it as dangerous as real, visible attack? Can it be treated and does it have to be life threatened disease? A friend of mine has 6 years old son, and at his school, his teacher has noticed that he has attacks of continous absences. It is obviously serious thing with him now. Is it really epilepsy?

Seizures of absence are type of generalized seizures, characteristic for epilepsy. These seizures can last about 10 minutes. Sometimes it is hard to notice seizure. Number of drug is available for treatment of seizures. All of them have side effects, and I think that some of them work better in children, and some in adults. Zarontin is effective in absence seizures, valproic acid is very effective medication, and it works in all types of seizures. Don’t want to frighten you with stories about antiepileptic drugs. Please post again, when get complete diagnosis. My son has epilepsy for last 4 years, he’s 12 now. I can talk to you about taking care of a child with epilepsy. Good luck.