My husband is having problems with acid reflux for some time; he has been diagnosed with GERD. He has been taking prescribed medications but I would like to know what I can get over the counter as a treatment for acid reflux. Any information is helpful, thank you.

I know that you can get these medications for acid reflux: Antacids such as Mylanta, Tums…those are neutralizers of acid in stomach; H2 blockers such as Pepcid AC, Zantac, Axid… those are reducers that inhibit stomach acid production. I wouldn’t recommend you to buy anything to your husband without counseling with his physician first or pharmacist. It is possible that some are not appropriate for him, because of his medical history or life style.

The first thing to do is see a doctor. Now there a few q that have to be answered b4 a good response is given. How long has this acid reflux been going on. If to long, maybe asophagus could be damaged. if it is.This is a welcoming mat for cancer in the throat, then moving into the lungs. If you acid reflux symptoms are recently new. I would worry. Now if over counter drugs are not working . See a physician. They can offer sometimes several monthes supply of samples. AcipHex 20 mg (rabeprazole sodium) seems to be better than prilosac.Take 30 min b4 eating. 1 daily. Now if caught early. Could stop the acid reflux. Now also don't only look for meds to stop the acid reflux. Try changing your eating habbits. No acidty foods ( tomatoe sauce, spicy seasoned foods, Dairy, Sodas are a killer) if you can cut off some of these items and maybe one more thing no eating2 hours b4 going to bed and placing 2 bricks under bedding area to elevate your chest/neck area. It seems there's alot to do. But doing these little changes save alot of money . I can only tell you what the doctor will tell you. AT NO COST !!!!