Hi, recently I suffered a, for me, very stressful situation. I am in my late thirties. After seven years, my boss fired me. I felt as if I was going to die. This happened couple of months ago. Since then, another change in my life occurred. My hair turned gray. I forgot to mention that I was on some medication. Could the stress I suffered produce my hair to turn gray?

Hi, I am sorry to hear you lost your job especially after a long time you spent there. As for the problem you asked me about; hair can turn gray for a number of reasons. Some people think that stress can influence hair by causing it to turn gray. However, this has not been scientifically proven. Things that are known as causes of gray hair are health problems, genetics and environmental factors. But the main cause is aging. Hair color originates from pigment, melanin, produced by the cells in the root of hair called melanocytes. While aging, the production of melanin decreases. As a result, our hair turns gray. The interesting thing is that every melanocyte produces pigment independently from other hairs. That means that graying is a gradual process. Let me suggest you see a doctor. He is the only one that can determine the cause of your problem. I am pretty sure that it is not stress.