My daughter has needed to use deodorant since she was about 6 years old. She's now 8...is this normal? Anyone else experiencing this? Do they even make safe deodorants for children?? I worry about all the chemicals in the adult ones.

Thanks

From what I have been reserching Anti-persperant blocks pores and inhibits the body's cooling process. Op for a deorderant that doesn't have antipersperent on the label. We use Tom's Natural for our son.

A few years ago my wife and I had a serious debate on whether or not to allow our 8 year old daughter to wear deodorant. Alzheimer’s runs in my wife’s family so she is concerned about the aluminum contained in most deodorants. Parabens have been linked with breast cancer which is also an ingredient in most deodorants. Propylene Glycol is a main ingredient also contained in even so called “natural deodorants” which is also used to make anti freeze. Propylene Glycol enters the skin so quickly that the EPA has warned factory workers to avoid skin contact in order to prevent brain, liver, and kidney abnormalities. So in my opinion it isn’t when kids or anyone else should use deodorant but what deodorant to use.

I have done a lot of research on when kids should start using deodorant. In my opinion if the kids are using a safe natural deodorant it should be whenever the children begin to develop odor that showering once a day will not contain. This can be 5 years old or earlier in some cases. I have spoke to preschool teachers who year after year have a large percentage students who do have body odor. I have read many conflicting articles that link or do not link body odor with puberty. I honestly think that it has very little to do with puberty at all. Instead I think it has more to do with diets. Not that an unhealthy diet will make a child smell and a healthy diet will not. I think it has a lot more to do with spices that are used in the meals. It also has to do with how active the children are.

In conclusion kids should start using deodorant whenever they need to. However, be very careful about the deodorant you choose. Find a deodorant that has no Aluminum, Parabens, or Propylene Glycol. I have found Junior Varsity’s Kids Deodorant to be a great option.

**edited by moderator**

Also I just wanted to add that your underarms are one of the main ways that your body releases toxins. Toxins are found pretty much in everything today, such as our foods and products. SO using antipersperants, that have aluminum that clogs the pores stops the toxins from being easily expelled from the body. You will notice when you have wore any antipersperant in a while your body odor is really strong, and that is becuase your body is trying to get rid of all the "buildt up" toxins. Deoderants are best, thats for sure! But jsut like the person before me mentioned, you have to be careful of the ingredients that are in the deoderant you choose!
I use a certified organic deoderant. I was using "Secret" antipersprants for years, but after I found out how bad they are for people, I switched. At first, there was a bad odor, but after a few weeks it passes, and now I can go days without wearing anything!

my daughter is three and i can smeel bo on her and was wondering if i can use deodorant on her and if so wat kind?

I recently found a deodorant that works miracles on kids with body odor, it's all natural and actually good for kids because it gets the essential minerals magnesium and potassium into the body! It completely gets rid of the odor as soon as it's applied and it lasts all day, even on really active kids!! It's a new company called In Love With Bodycare and they have a men's/boys label, Tough Love, and a womens/girls In Love. This stuff is amazing, everyone should try it!