Saw this on YouTube, people getting botox in their armpits to reduce body odor/stop sweating, often they get it done at the same time as laser hair removal for the armpits. I am quite sweaty so this idea really appeals to me. The question I have is does this treatment have any side effects that I need to know about? And how long does it last?

Are there people here who did the underarm botox and if you had it done would you share how you got on with it please?

Thanks

Yeah, botox for the underarms is becoming more and more popular, I even saw it advertised at a random salon I'm not all that sure is even qualified do offer that stuff, so yeah... All I'm saying is it sounds like a really good idea, but yeah, you're right that there can be side effects like starting to sweat out of your palms or forehead or your bottom or something. And you wanna get that from a reputable place actually licensed to give it or all sorts can go wrong you know? In terms of pain I know they give you a numbing cream beforehands so you should be alright with that but it's still needles going in your skin of course.

Celebrity

I was under the impression that botox was only considered an option for people with genuine hyperhidrosis, not just anyone who would prefer to sweat and stink less, but I was apparently wrong. I HAVE read that botox against sweating can remain effective for up to 24 months, which is a lot longer than it remains effective against wrinkles. I've also heard that you can "sprout a leak" elsewhere, as PP referred to, which is why it is not suitable for just anyone but only people with genuine hyperdidrosis of the kind that affects quality of life.

Rosie

The risk of sweating elsewhere, defeating the object of your anti-sweat botox, is a common concern but actually the least of your worries. Though rare, botox injections can spread through the body and cause all kinds of things from paralysis to blindness and incontinence. Botox isn't just a cosmetic treatment, it's a serious toxin. Everyone knows botulism can kill you so why not consider the risk in cosmetic appliances as well?

I am just saying inform yourself before you put that into your body!

I had this done in Seoul, Korea while visiting my sister and brother in law and it worked like a dream. My armpits are now smooth and I am relieved of the quite heavy sweating that is usually what I experience, without suffering the compensatory sweating in other parts of the body that were discussed above. I love it and am very strongly considering having it done again when the effects run off. The discomfort was negligible, really. Don't not get your armpits botoxed because you are worried it will hurt. It really doesn't, as long as you don't look :).

Oooh! I have heard about this before and I am quite interested. I bet it 1. costs a lot of money, though, and 2. once you have tried it, you won't want to go back to being sweaty and stinky all the time. I mean, as long as your armpits are waxed, how hard is it really to use deodorant? Isn't it possible to reduce body odor through a changed diet if, for some reason, you get really quite pungent?

OK, random questions. Basically I think this is out of my price range. So for starters, how much does armpit botox actually cost?

Hi all,

I am personally wondering if it is medically considered safe/acceptable to get anti-sweat botox for reasons of personal preference as opposed to for reasons of suffering from excessive sweating as determined by a doctor. I have seen in advertised as well, in a "hey, don't want to sweat this summer? get botox!" manner, and I like the thought of this quite a lot myself :), but will not have botox done to stop sweating before I know whether this is truly safe.

Can anyone answer this question?

Good question.

The short answer is that all medical treatments have the potential of side effects, some of which can be dangerous. Whether or not you suffer from hyperdidrosis, botox comes with risks. Some of those risks depend on your medical status, while others depend on provider competency.

To avoid issues with the latter, research your clinic very well. To avoid issues with the former, tell your provider all about any and all medical issues you have, answering all their questions as precisely as possible. Once you have those two out the way and know you're dealing with a reputable provider and do not have contraindications to botox, figure out whether you want botox to halt sweating. This has not yet been studied long term but I would only consider it if I had excessive sweating. It is not worth it, going through all that just to avoid putting deodorant on once a day.

Yep, me! I had mine done this year, about a month ago actually.

Pretty much from the moment I entered puberty... well, I remember my mom telling me to use deodorant because I stank and I HAD used deodorant. And washed and reapplied, several times that day already. In the end I found a deodorant with zinc that did better than others I had tried before, but still... you hear about people wearing t-shirts more than one day, but to me that was nothing but an urban myth. Actually if I'm honest my clothes sometimes still stank when they came out of the washing machine.

So since I've had my botox, which was nowhere near as unpleasant as my 15 year journey of struggling with sweating, I've been much better. Nope, no compensatory sweating that I know so far. The pungent smell is gone. I still perspire a bit but nope, that smell... not there any more.

I cannot describe how happy this has made me. Literally. You're right though, I do not want to go back to the way things were before. This is worth the investment. It has improved my quality of life dramatically, stupid as that may sound to people who do not know what it is like to sweat excessively but if you have it too, yeah, definitely, definitely consider botox for your armpits. Definitely.