I have diabetes type 2, and I was wondering if other patients exercise? I've stopped and started an exercise plan so many times, and with the coming New Year, it's on my mind again. My doctor says that regular exercise helps my body use insulin better and lower my cholesterol, but that hasn't driven me to want to exercise regularly... or even irregularly!

depending on what you consider exercise, I can tell you how my dad tries to follow that very valid advice that exercise does help people with Type 2 Diabetes. He's trying to keep himself from the TV and the house with hobbies. and he makes sure he walks at least an hour or two outside, of course, depending on the weather.

This of course isn't exercise in the strict type of way, with stretching and various programs - I think those are definitely perfect for people who have friends with Type 2 Diabetes, but I couldn't really imagine my dad in the gym. I guess it depends on your lifestyle, but exercise or simply being active will help you keep better track of how good you are feeling.

As a diabetic, it is important that you get at least some exercise -- even very simply isometric exercises will help you build muscle and replace flab. Your muscles store sugar and when you exercise, sugar stored in the muscle is burned first, then fat. More lean muscle means your body probably won't need as much insulin because more of the sugar that you take in will be stored in muscle instead of left floating around in the bloodstream. This may be why your doctor says your body will use insulin better -- it will, but that is not the complete picture.

I started a yoga program after experimenting with so many different types of exercise. It's the only exercise that makes me more calm than more stressed. I always hated going to the gym because I felt like everyone was looking at me and just knew I was a diabetic and that I'd better work out or I was going to die! I bought a yoga mat, found a bunch of free online yoga videos and started. Now I can't stand to go a day with yoga. I feel stronger and leaner and I started seeing results the first week! I don't hate doing yoga. I hated doing anything else. I still don't like doing free weights, but added those a few times a week just to tone up the underarm flab.