I've been diagnosed with diabetes type 2 recently. My doctor has informed me that I need to change my diet and exercise regularly. I like to exercise in the morning when the sun comes up. What I'm curious about is should I eat before or after gym? I don't generally like to eat that early in the morning. But, having diabetes type 2 may require that I eat before gym. I'm thinking that I should change my gym time and perhaps exercise in the afternoon sometime after lunch. Does anyone know what I should do?

I commend you for getting up early in the morning to exercise! Good for you! You can still do that but it is a good idea to eat something before exercise, no matter what time of day. How long do you generally exercise for? If you work out for over 30 minutes, you may want to have a snack or juice on hand in case you get dizzy or nauseous. Many people can experience a low blood sugar after exercising for a long period of time. You say you don't like eating in the morning. All you need is perhaps 30 grams of carbohydrate to start out. Two pieces of whole wheat toast could hold you over while you exercise.

I get up early, around 5:30 am, and put on my exercise clothes. I'm not much of an early morning eater either. However, it is a good idea to have something in your stomach. Essentially your body has been fasting over night. You might consider drinking a pre-made low carbohydrate shake that is high in protein, minerals and vitamins. These low carb drinks are absorbed slowly so you don't end up with a sugar spike. I usually drink a shake right after I get up. I find these convenient and tasty and of course cleanup is a snap. My exercise is pretty rigorous so I have something to eat after gym as well. Quite often I have some plain oatmeal with prunes on the side or perhaps a banana.

I know part way through my workouts, I find that my blood levels begin to drop. It could be that your blood glucose does just the opposite. You have to test your blood glucose levels during exercise and keep a record of it. As to whether you eat before and/or after gym is dependent on you. Everyone is different in terms of what they require. Try eating before gym for a week or so and see how that works. Then try eating afterward and see how that goes. Then, try eating before and after and see how that serves you. Really, it's the only way to know.

If you are taking insulin, you might have to adjust your insulin accordingly, particularly if you take in food before you go to the gym. Nevertheless, you will need to experiment a little to find out what works best for you. Just make sure to keep exercising as it keeps diabetes at bay and provides a sense of well being for you.