Hi everyone... I have posted this before but I can't find the discussion at all... So here it is again

I live with my boyfriend and his family. Recently (nov-dec 2010) his brother's girlfriend got pregnant.
They are heavy weed smoker. They probably smoke once every few hours.
She claims that she smokes weed because she gets morning sickness and can't eat. Her doc prescribed her some med, and obviously it helped because she starts getting up and walk around during the day and eats a lot more. But, she still smokes TONS of weed.

She was going to have a pair of twins, but during her trimester, she lost one of them. Yet, she still smokes.

I have confronted her about smoking during pregnancy, but they get all butt hurt. They even researched for hours to find some kind of proof that says that weed won't hurt the baby. Finally they found this one about Jamaican women smokes weed during pregnancy.

So now that they don't have the morning sickness excuse, they use this excuse. Or the brother would say that she is cutting down on weed.. Even tho we all see her lighting a bowl / joint up every once in a while. Or they would just smoke in their room, thinking that no one would know, but we can all smell the weed coming out of the room.

I think that it'd be ok if they got the weed from the clinic, or some place that sells naturally grown place. But they get it from the streets, so you never know what else they add in it.

I don't think that she can't quit, because I have a few friends that smokes weed also, but during their pregnancy, they quit so that baby can grow healthily. It's not impossible to quit.

I'm posting this so that I can get some feedback on what could happen to the baby. I want to know what kind of damage could that do he baby. Also what are the consequences if and when the baby's born and they do a blood test and found THC in it's blood? I'm not trying to jinx them, but of all the research I have done myself, everything has been negative. Except for the Jamaican thing that they were talking about, and the comments the "stoners" would provide.

Please feel free to leave comments, concerns, or questions, as I'll be showing them what majority people says.
Thank you so much for your time!

You know, this is just from a pure common sense - if we are all very well aware of how dangerous it is to smoke cigarettes during pregnancy - from early birth to low weight, it's just unimaginable and impossible to think that marijuana smoke could be any less harmless to the mothers lungs (this extreme amout) which than get less oxygen which means that baby doesn't get enough oxygen... And one twin lost :-( I mean, what more do you need, there is no point in debating with someone who will say "wooow, dude, sky is sooo blue today"

Thanks for sharing your story, jenlin032003.  I'm working on a documentary program about marijuana use during pregnancy and am interested in hearing more about this situation.   ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

This is just truly sad. I understand the controversy on marijuana and if it is harmful at all to the growing fetus, its typically extremely hard for true weed smokers to believe that weed could be anything but good. But being a 16 year old who's 7 1/2 months pregnant, and is constantly around stoners and is also a previous smoker (I quit cigarettes when I first discovered I was pregnant and although weed took a little longer to break the traditional habit, I finally did it when a cyst threatened my baby boy's well-being) it is just heart breaking to hear that after losing one child already the mother still doesn't have enough common sense to see the risks and try and avoid anything that could even POSSIBLY harm her growing baby! becoming a parent is about making sacrifices, and self medicating is not at all necessary whenever the doctors do all they can to help with the discomforts of pregnancy. Regardless if there is solid proof that weed even effects a growing fetus or not, headaches and nauseousness are not enough of an excuse to risk your baby being unhealthy. Its just plain selfish to put your own fiend for some lime green fruit before your child's well-being. The baby may have low birth weight, and smoke-filled lungs, ADHD, and may also cry more than other babies because of its over exposure to all that bud. . I truly hope their baby is okay.

iam a mother of two boys and i smoke weed with both and now 7 monthes today and i am doing fine weed is not harmful to baby. i did not have no problems with none of my pregancy

crystal wrote:

jenlin032003 wrote:

Thank you so much for your time!

"i did not have no problems with none of my pregancy" shows right there either you are either ignorant or the weed has just fried your brain. The most common users are uneducated. You are an id**t for doing that to your children. I say that whether you smoked tobacco or weed!!

kimnev wrote:

crystal wrote:

jenlin032003 wrote:

Thank you so much for your time!

And your basis for calling her an id**t is what? Do you know any better? Maybe you are the id**t with a closed mind, that thinks its bad because other people say it is. Many people freak out when something happens in the pregnancy and the mother smokes weed. Chances are these problems would occur anyway, but when weed is involved, it must be at fault. It is predominantly social stigma that dictates whether cannabis during pregnancy is good or bad, there is little to no evidence from tens of thousands of people born to pot head parents.

Smoking weed is not what caused your boyfriend's brother's girlfriend to lose one of her babies. This was her body telling her that it could not nourish 2 babies; even if she was not smoking pot she most likely would have lost that baby.

In regards to your statement "I think that it'd be ok if they got the weed from the clinic, or some place that sells naturally grown place. But they get it from the streets, so you never know what else they add in it." It sounds like your BF's bro and his GF are pretty experienced pot smokers. I'm pretty sure they would be able to tell if it was laced with anything, as it is very easy to tell if there are "extras" in a bag of weed. Also, I'm even more sure that they have trustworthy people to hit up for a sack.

Zofran, probably the most popular of the "morning sickness DRUGS" has the following side effects:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, throat, or tongue; wheezing; unusual hoarseness); chest or jaw pain, numbness of an arm or leg, or sudden severe headache or vomiting; fainting; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; fever; seizures; severe or persistent dizziness; skin tingling or numbness; stomach pain; trouble urinating; uncontrolled muscle movements; vision changes or loss.

Seriously? The side effect of smoking/eating marijuana while pregnant are: No more nausea and the ability to eat (in turn NOURISHING your baby). I have several friends who smoked during their entire pregnancies and their children are at the top of their classes and very smart, happy and sociable. I am currently 21 weeks pregnant. I tried not smoking a few times after I found out that I was pregnant, just to see if I could do it, and I was extremely sick. Once I started smoking again I felt great and could eat and did not get nauseous.

Do better research and maybe read this study that actual DOCTORS, not ignorant people who are one-sided in this debate.
http://www.druglibrary.org/Schaffer/hemp/medical/can-babies.htm

I'm a daily pot smoker like 5-7 joints daily and I'm 25 weeks pregnant with twins,all my other children are healthy with no negitive effects from it, it really helps with. Nausea and pain.

"the most common users are uneducated" I'm sorry but you're the ignorant. first of all I've been smoking pot since I was 14. Went to Thomas Jefferson Highs-School for science and Technology and got a full ride to Duke University. Graduated with masters in political science. Pot actually helped me with my work and guess what??? I have moderate ADHD. Sorry I'm common user and uneducated. It's about responsibility. Not many people have it.

Miss do u even have kids to be telling somebodgy else what to do? I know its concern but people like you are always judging people. In her case yes she is wrong for loosing a child and still smoking and so much isn't that good. I smoked with both my children and they both came out healthy and really smart! They started walking, talking and crawling early which was good and surprising. I don't have anything against women smoking weed while pregnant if anything weed is more better than puttin nicotine or alchol in ur body for ur child? And getting it from the streets lady really? Where do u think they find there aka "home farmers " at and how they get the people who actually do legal weed growing? All from the street and all street knowledge! There's women doing herion and crack and ur worried about marijuanna? I myself have 3 children and smoked weed until I was 6months no more. And I smoked over 4x a day and they were blunts not joints or a bowl. My children are fine and no it doesn't cause mental illnesses or challenges. Just tell herto control her c**p if not don't do it

ok i she shouldn't be smoking period even though it may seem like it helping but she making the baby become an addict before she can give it a chance to make it's own choices ............ I SMOKE weed everyday and when i found out i was pregnant i stopped and i was also carrying twins and i lost one in the first trimester and the other one was struggling for its life and you know what the doctor asked me if i smoke i said yes i did when i but i didnt know at the time first and continued for like at least a good 2 months afterwards cus it did help but either way look at it like this ur baby is inside of you and ur constantly smoking how is your baby going to breathe properly....... and another example my friend also she has 3 kids and with her first child she smoked throughout the whole pregnancy with her first child and she ended up going into early labor and now her child has asthma and its also affect his growth now....... and the doctor warned her to quit because it will come back to haunt her and now she has to go through the rest of her life and as for her other 2 kids she didnt smoke once and her 2 other kids are healthy as possibleSMOKING in general isnt good while ur pregnant and for those who thinks it cannot do any harm it CAN..... another example i lost an aunty to weed she never put cigarette in the weed  always smoked it straight and she never smoke it as much as me but she endeettin cancer and guess what she died so smoking to much weed can cause harm to the body SMOKING PERIOD can cause harm to anyone its just up to us to make the choice about doing it or not

SMOKING WEED WHILE YOU ARE PREGNANT DOES NOT MAKE YOUR BABY ADDICTED!!!! MARIJUANA IS NOT A PHYSICALLY ADDICTIVE DRUG!!!!!!

Smoking weed did not harm your babies, they would have turned out the same way had you NOT smoked. Why on Earth would midwives say that it's okay to take some puffs of weed if you are having trouble with morning sickness if it would harm your baby? They wouldn't. You're just a sheep following the herd. Marijuana is safe during pregnancy. It's been proven in other countries and the only reason it hasn't been proven in the US is because studies are skewed since the mothers were usually drinking or doing other drugs on top of smoking weed during pregnancy. I do not condone drinking more than 8 ounces of red wine or one 12 ounce can/glass of beer every now and then, but I do extremely disrespect people who knowingly get drunk and do other drugs (INCLUDING PRESCRIPTIONS) while they are pregnant.

Weed is harmless to an unborn child. The proof lies in all of my friends and family members who have strong, intelligent, sociable children with no concerns about their health. Do your research and stop assuming.

Yes, who the hell are you, get a life.

That's a full blownie , thanks for the misinformation.... My mother in law was a twin and the other twin dies shortly after birth.... Besides knowing tht she was a twin cause her mom told her, she never knew any different.