I really need to start working out my glutes. I walk a lot, so legs are fine, but my butt could be a bit more muscular and now it is too soft to the touch. The lower part of my butt is sort of saggy – the situation could be worse, but it could also be better for a 30 year old. What do you suggest? Can you please recommend some workouts for glutes?

Hi. Legs and glute exercises accompany each other, but a lot of times happens what happened to you – legs look good and relatively muscular – since most of people use them – as you said yourself - you walk a lot. But most of time glutes are left behind and butt becomes saggy. In your 30ties it is easy to correct the tonus of glute muscles, but later on – it is possible, but more work must be invested. My favorite glute exercise is glute bridge. There are a few variations of glute bridge – so you don’t get bored ;) For this exercise you basically don’t need anything – only an exercise mat – if you don’t have it, you can also perform it on a couch, just put a towel beneath you for hygienic reasons. So, lie on your back, head and shoulders on the floor, butt on the floor, knees bent. Arms are by your sides. Now push through the heels your butt up and form a straight line from knees, hips to shoulders and at the same time squeeze your gluteus maximus. This is a basic form of this exercise. Variations of gluteus bridge: Feet together– 50 repetitions Feet shoulder width apart – 50 repetitions Feet or the floor, or feet on something elevated – a stepper for example. - 50 repetitions Staying in the raised position with muscles tight for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Lowering butt form raised position to about few inches off the floor. – 50 repetitions Putting one leg over the other – this way you are adding resistance – and performing the same movement. Repeat with the other leg. – 20 repetitions each leg Putting one leg straight up in the air and performing the same movement. Repeat with the other leg. – 20 repetitions If you will be doing these exercises for a month every day (along with long walks) I guarantee that after a month your butt will look much better :) I hope this helps!

I am surprised that the walking isn't doing more for you than leaving you with a saggy bottom. I would such doing calisthenics where you tighten your buttocks for sets of three to five per day. If you have a local gym, there are weight training equipment that target the buttocks as well. The straight leg dumb bell lift and the cable hip extension are good ones to try. You also can do squats at home and leg lifts. There are many videos that have exercises on them that target the glutes and help with shaping and toning them. I hope this helps!

Hello mada,

maybe you can jump-start your exercise plan by starting with exercising at home. This way you don't have to worry about gym or other people's opinion. Ybanks gave you a pretty good plan and as far as more detailed exercises are concerned, SteadyHealth has just released a handy new app for both iPhone and Android smart phones - Ab Workouts for men and women - An app that is much more than just a bunch of abdominal workouts because it also comes with diet plan that should help you get rid of belly fat and restore your figure. You also have an option to look for sets of videos that target glutes, hamstrings, cardio exercise... etc. separately

The app is free, so you can check it out for yourself.

Take a look : https://www.steadyhealth.com/ab-workouts-for-men-and-women