Hello. I'm 22 year old male and I would like to find out some information about proper body building I should choose.
You see, for all my life I was very skinny and this was really a threat to my self confidence and self-esteem.
About two months ago I have decided to change something in my life and started practicing some exercises in my home. I started to notice a change and decided to start with weight lifting.
I really don’t know anything about this and I would like to know should I practice weight lifting for bodybuilding or to tone and firm my muscles? My goal is to tone my body, especially my arms and legs. Please help!

I'm in this weight lifting business for more then 10 years and what you asked is the most common question that young people ask me before they enter the gym. You should definitely know some facts about this before you start with body building. The key word is repetition. A repetition is the act of lifting and lowering a weight once in a controlled manner. A set consists of several repetitions performed one after another with no break between them. Sets of 1 to 5 repetitions primarily develop strength, with less impact on muscle size and none on endurance. Sets of 6 to 12 repetitions develop a balance of strength, muscle size and endurance. Sets of 13 to 20 repetitions develop muscle size, and particularly endurance, with less impact on strength. Decide what you want to do and start with weight lifting depending what effect you want to accomplish!

I'm a 16 year old male, im about 165 lbs and my squat is 340 and my bench is 260. If I take weight gainer how fast will I see results and how will it help my bench and squat? Thank You

my advice is not to take any supplements for weight gain

i was pretty close to the same numbers as you when i was 16, and if you want to build your strength, i recommend changing your diet

high caloric intake, very high water intake, eat plenty of protein, but eat later at night as well, maybe a peanut butter and jelly before bed every night

I have come to a similar question in the past and only because I hear conflicting accounts on this subject.

No offense meant but.... I have heard this stated the exact opposite way. Low reps with more weight will make you bulk up and get all ripped and more repetitions with less weight will make you more defined but muscle size will not increase as much.

So... I would really like to know someday for sure?

I am far from professional, but EVERY bodybuilder I have spoken too has replied, less reps with more weight builds bulk, as more repetition with any weight burns fat and muscle. If you think about it, it makes perfect sense. the more times you curl, or lift, the more burning. my advice, which has worked for me, if you want bulk. increase weight, not reps. you want tone? increase reps not weight

In response to the questions about sets and reps for specific gains, it is the opposite of what was said in the initial response. I am in  my last year of a bachelor's degree in kinesiology, which is "the study of human movement". I have been lifting for eight years now and have talked to many different people about this issue. There are differing results from person to person, but in general 1-6 reps provides gains in size and power (3-4 minutes between sets), 8-12 builds strength and size (1.5-2 minutes rest between sets), and anything higher is training for muscular endurance (.5-1 minute between sets). Hope this helps anyone looking to learn some basics about weight training.