Hi, I'm a 39 yr old female who has the normal 2 sinus infections a year- which was treated with antibiotics and or breathing treatment. Xrays even taken at one point and told I had some lung scarring but nothing to worry about. Now after just moving to a rental home on the Intercoastal, I've had a "cold" for almost 3 months while living here.I'm So very tired,have had some weight loss (only 108 normally so 102 not that big of a deal) and constant green mucus coming from nose and throat. I've never smoked and none are around. But every morning I wake
up hacking to the point of almost vomiting while green phlegm comes up in small chunks.(used mucinex to no avail) After two weeks of this, I went to doctor and got Zythromiacin for "sinus infection and double ear infection". Didn't feel much better and kept living with it until a month later, I was back in Dr's office. She told me I again had fluid in one ear and sinus infection. Gave me Avelox. This was 4 weeks ago. Still tired, but now have a stubborn cough and tickle in my throat that I can't control. Can't sleep at night because of the coughing. I still have green mucus and tons of sinus drainage. Called DR again and was referred to ENT. Saw him on Wednesday, ran a scope and said one nose hole was bent. Said he thought it was allergies related to moving. Gave me Allegra D and a nasal spray. But also ordered a CT scan of Sinus which I had today. I have the films but won't know the results from radiologist for several days. Note- I have no tonsils, no tonsil stones, and never had allergies before. Had been taking claritin at night for last 2months before seeing ENT per Dr's orders. It didn't help either. Should I worry he ordered this CT scan? Is that common after looking down throat and in my nose? Help my coughing stop please!!! Thanks

I am in a similar situation. I'm scheduled to have a ct scan after taking Avelox for 3 weeks and Zithromax right before that along with a steroid. I've done a sinus rinse every morning and night. I'm still coughing up green. A chest x-ray was normal. I saw an ENT who said I have a sinus infection going chronic. She scheduled the ct scan for 2 weeks from now. I'm not sure whether to be concerned about the fact that I'm still coughing up green which is supposed to be a sign of infection.

I'd be really interested in your results. Good luck to you.

I am interested in know the results of the previous 2 women. I have similar symptoms for several months. I have not had a CT scan; I want to know if this helped determine the problem. Please respond.

I have had the same thing it has been going on for several months 5 to be exact. I have been on so many antibiotics nasal sprays steroids and I had a sputum culture. Also had two cat scans one of my chest and one of my sinus. they showed that I had chronic sinusitis also that the sputum culture stated that I had a bacterial infection. I was ok for about two weeks and it started all over again now I was told to see a pulmonoligist and take another sputum culture. I feel for all of you and do all of you also get severe headaches.

I hope the ENT doctor does not try deviated septum surgery. It is one of the most painful surgeries, And it simply does NOT work! I had it done, And had to go to a plastic surgeon afterward. He fixed it, with a tiny amount of gauze I could remove myself.
The same ENT removed my tonsils at 22 years old (too old), then he wanted to remove the mastoid bones from my scull!!!! Stay away from ENT'S!

I am going for a CT scan in the morning. I have had problems for years and years, I have had 3 nose ops for a deviated septum and trouble with my turbanates etc, the septoplasty was wonderful though and allowed me to breathe easily for the first time in my life. When I woke up the surgeon told me to take a big sniff and I could not beleive it it was wonderfull. It was painful but you cope with painkillers, I still however have infection after infection, head pain, neck pain, it kills if I bend down, I go dizzy, I have ear trouble, constant green stuff in nose, I cough up clear jelly balls. I am allergic to everything, lets hope the CT scan sheds some light!

I am a white male, and have had the same symptoms. Did anyone get relief from antibiotics? I am on keflex for ten days. Still coughing up green sputum. I have had this infection for 2 months. I had an MRI of the sinuses, and it detected what the radiologist termed a cyst.

I read all of the above posts and thought - my gosh! that's me!

I am a generally very healthy 44 year old female and at most get a little cold once a year. I have slight asthma and allergies but was able to stop taking daily medication for both about 2 years ago.

Just before Christmas I got slammed with this flu thing that drained me of all my energy, had a hacking cough, and all the typical cold symptoms (runny nose and eyes, headaches, aching all over). I was in bed for about 2 weeks over Christmas season -got up from bed only twice (to host two pre-planned Christmas parties). I seemed better after a couple of weeks - certainly not back to normal but better.

Then by Dec. 23rd my family and I went to Boston to have a white Christmas and see relatives. I was pretty much over all the symptoms except a lingering cough. I returned to FL just after New Years and seemed ok for a couple of weeks. Then I went back late January for a 2nd visit to Boston and upon my return - February 2 - BAM - I got hit with this thing again - but worse.

It started with the runny eyes and nose, and then the cough. The cough lasts forever and I was coughing up 1st clear then green thick mucus. It's been SIX WEEKS and still no relief.

I went to the doctor about 3 weeks into it, got a Z-pack of antibiotics which I took for 5 days. Symptoms - especially the cough - were still there another week and then slowly subsided. He tried to put me back on daily asthma steriods and inhalers but I wouldn't fill those prescriptions. I know asthma, and it may be aggravated by this but it is not the root cause.

I have difficulty breathing deeply, cough regularly, am achy, have NO ENERGY and now my neck is in pain constantly. Not sharp pain, but achy, all through the bottom and up to the base of my neck. I can't move my head from side to side (I noticed I'm moving my body to turn).

I again called the doctor and he said come back in - of course - but instead I tried a deep tissue massage - which killed while I had it - but now the pain seems a little less. Still I have no energy and feel generally ill. I am not used to being incapacitated like this - does anyone know what this nasty illness is?

Im a 20 yr old female at college; i have been hit with this horrible thing.. i have only had it like 3 1/2 weeks but from what im reading if i have this 5 months i will fail school!!!!! I have no energy.. just want to sleep.. and for the person who asked about headaches.. I GET HORRIBLE HEADACHES.. along with the green mucus drainage and constant cough.. im going back to the doctor tomorrow for my fourth visit.. i have tried lodrane and another huge white pill.. starts with a C but i forget the name.. i have also been put on an inhaler and tried allegra D and promethazine.. nothing has worked but hopefully i get good results soon after the doctor tomorrow. if anyone has gotten answers let us ALL know!!

This is something else you might want to try. A Wellness Chiropractor. They've gotten a bad wrap in the past. Everyone says all they want to do is have you keep coming back. I went to mine and he's wonderful. He does acupuncture also. Yes it works. I had to stop as my insurance was limited. He realigned back and hips, neck. BIG difference in mobility and piched nerve I have. Two discs were sideways and the piched nerve was in lower left neck and pain shooting through to the front left.
The reason the Chiropractors want you to return is because the readjustments need to be repeated regularly to retrain the affected area(s). It's kind of like training a part in your hair from left to right or center. It's used to going it's own way and you have to work with it to retrain it to part to correct desire of style.
I've always believed green mucus was a sign of infection.

I'm a 49 year old female and got sick about one week ago with the same symptoms that everyone is talking about. The drag think is that due to his H1N1 my employer doesn't and will not let me work if I have a cough.
Due to not having anymore sick time I can't work. I want to work but just like everyone else I have a cough green stuff everywhere, dizziness and tired just feeling off. What is this ???? I get a cold about once a year, have my yearly physical, never take medications, I just so surprised that I feel so bad. I've been to the doctors twice. I have to see my Occ Health and I'm hoping they let me work if not back to the Doctor. I'll keep checking this site to see if anyone has figured out what this is.....

Just found this thread. All of everyone's issues seem to be related to sinus infections. I have chronic sinusitis, and I understand your pain. No one understood how debilitating it is. Lived with it for years before I was told to see an ENT. I still get them but they are not as bad (before my surgery I had them 24/7, got one in 2002 and had it until 2004.)
CT scans are very normal when determining if you have sinusitis, we have several sinus cavities that are behind or within our skull, so this is very helpful in pinpointing how far the infection/swelling goes (so do not freak out about the test). If you have colored mucus (yellow, orange, green) you have an infection that may not be helped by antibiotics. the infection would have to spread into the blood stream in order for the meds to work. mostly the infection stays on top of the sinus surface. First make sure you sleep alot. Doing so in the first few days will improve how you will feel during the course of the infection. Drink extra water and if you can have lemon squeeze a lemon in the water (must be fresh lemon, no mixes) I usually drink about 2.5-3L of water when I have an infection. I also do the saline nasal sprays and colloidal silver spray. If you keep things moving pressure and mucus will not linger.
As for the tiredness and aches sleep and keep the mucus flowing is the best way to fight those symptoms. When sinuses are blocked our bodies do not get enough oxygen (at least not at our individual levels) so we get tired, less oxygen = less energy to go around. you are not being lazy or depressed or pretending your sick, you have a sinus infection. unless you have had one you will not understand how draining it is.

My twelve year old daughter kinda has the same thing. It's been going on for over 2 weeks and I am worried that she might not get better. Can anybody help me? In the morning I always hear my daughter wake up and then she starts to cough. Is this normal for a cold or a sinus infection to keep going? Please help me find a way to stop my daughter's cough and to let me see her healthy and not coughing! Is it necessary for my daughter to get surgery? And what if my insurance can't pay for it? What will I do?

I had a similar condition with almost constant sinus infections. A friend told me about "Sinus Survival." It's a holistic treatment program. I really saved me. (I have no relationship to this company at all just a fan). The program is like a full-time job at the beginning. Twice a day sinus irrigation with a machine that they sell. Steam treatments 4 times a day. And you have to sleep a lot. They sell a lot of supplements too, but I didn't use those. I just used the rest of the program. I feel much better and now occasionally get sore sinuses, but haven't had an infection since.

I had all these same complaints one fall, winter and spring. Both my husband spent that entire time ill. I was cleaning out my closet as we had to move to a different house, I found black mold growing on the wall on the back of the closet. After we moved we both returned to healthy. You probably all have mold growing somewhere in your homes, it can be deadly.