I had a CT scan and found out (after many complaints to all my doctors), I've got metal surgical clips in my neck. My surgeon never told me about this. I'm very confused and very afraid because of the increased pain I've been experiencing since my TT. Why would they do this to me? I now can't get an appointment to see this same surgeon because of ins. problems. Why surgical clips used?

I have never heard of this. Why were they left in - on purpose or accidentially??

I haven't seen anything in the literature that supports this.

Hi I also had my thyroid removed 9 weeks ago because of cancer..Still having pain in neck..My MD did a scan today i oh my god i was so shocked to find out that i to have metal clips in my neck and lower...I have about 30 or more we counted them..I was not told or informed that this would be so..I am allergic to metal and have to usually have it removed...What next why did they do this to me, im so depressed now i don't know what to do...Can you live like this...Please someone answer what the purpose of this is...What are the long term medical problems from this?

I had a total thyroidectomy last year. On my latest ultrasound the radiologist noted that an area that they had been monitoring was most likely surgical clip/s left in from the surgery.
My surgical record states nothing about surgical clips. I visited my surgeon to ask whether or not clips had been used and he told me that he didn't know and it isn't something that he puts in the record. He went on to say that if I was concerned that I should have an x ray but if I did have clips, I shouldn't do anything about it because the surgery to remove it/them would have risks. I have had some problems with mild, intermittent hypocalcemia and asked whether or not the clips could be cutting of the blood supply to my parathyroid/s. He said that since the parathyroid and the thyroid share the same blood supply that this was possible but I since I have some parathyroid function I really shouldn't worry. I was shocked to learn that a doctor has no record of what foreign material has been left inside a patient. I think that this is outrageous. I also am very tender in my neck area and it has been about a year and 5 months since my surgery.

I have been in severe chronic pain ever since shortly having a surgery related to one of my kidneys. I thought I was going crazy, no tests out of dozens could explain my pain. The ONLY thing that makes sense is that my pain is located EXACTLY underneath the scar from the operation, and that is where I have multiple surgical clips!! I have little doubt this is the source of my pain, but no doctor in the world will go on record to say these clips can cause pain. My MD believes me, and treats my pain, however not even he ccan explain why I hurt this much since the operation. On bad days I am in so much pain I stay inside and cry like a baby. Something is wrong, yet after dozens of tests, I am told all is good. This makes no sense.

When I say I am in pain, Im speaking of a level 9 pain for my body. My life is wrecked and no expert can explain to me why. I get meds for it, but I still feel it. I do not believe most painkillers except the most strong kind can touch this pain. I have long suspected the surgical clips, but millions have them with no complaints. I speculate only a small percentage of us experience such pain from clips, I really wish a study would be done to find out how many others are like me.

I had a total thyroidectomy and about 6 months later I started having severe neck pain, difficulty swallowing, feeling faint, and increased pressure in my neck. I went to my regular doctor who ordered an ultrasound and sure enough they told me my surgeon accidently left metal clips in my neck. They sent me to a surgeon at MD Anderson Cancer Center and he told me that the clips had formed a large calcification around them which was causing all of the problems. The calcification was growing rather fast. He told me that it isn't worth doing surgery unless I have more tumors in May that need to be taken out then they will remove them.

His tips were to keep drinking a lot of water and actually it did start to help but I still have a lot of pain, especially when I have hiccups!! I feel "popping" quite a bit! It is annoying.

Glad I found this post - I felt alone! :-)

I just discovered by an catscan that I have surgical clips from a 32 yr old gallbladder surgury. I have been complaining of pain for at least 25 of those 32 years and no dr can tell me why I have pain. I have ultrasounds etc. with no success. Tell me if any one else has had this and what can be done?
In Pain
Leona Altland

Surgical clips are completely normal and are used (and left in) in many, many types of surgeries. They are made of titanium which is hypoallergenic, non-rusting, doesn't set off metal detectors, and isn't affected by an MRI machine. They are left in to keep blood vessels and various ducts closed after organ removal because otherwise you would bleed out. There are lots of reasons you may have pain in or around a previous surgical site, but the clips are not likely the cause. The reason you may not have been informed or they may not have been put in your record is because they are so completely standard that it would be like informing you of exactly what brand of alcohol swab was used to clean an injection site.

what a load of rubbish foriegn body and the pain caused like full body immune attack

I'm a pathologist and deal with these specimens on a daily basis. Surgical clips are extremely common in EVERY procedure. I find them in everything from bowel to amputations. The thyroid (and parathyroids) are highly vascularized organs. These cannot be removed without clamping off the blood vessels (otherwise you would bleed to death). Metals used for surgical purposes are approved (like any other medical device) with regards to patient safety, and it is unlikely they would cause a reaction. It is true that (as with any surgery) the body scars off the areas where an insult (the operation) took place. This reaction can cause post-operative complications.

You had what is a serious surgery in a complicated region of the body. I think that in this day and age we take this for granted, but remember that every surgery comes with risks.

Cheers.

This comment is such a bunch of c**p. Only medical people believe that these clips cause no problems because that's what they're taught. Unless they have lived it they have no idea. I also had gall bladder surgery 17 years ago and have been having pain and many other problems since then. I have been to many doctors and keep getting the same garbage. My doctor also did not tell me that he was leaving clips in there or I would have refused that particular type of surgery because I know my body. What did they do before these procedures were invented? They did surgery the old-fashioned way which did not include leaving junk in our bodies. I would have preferred to take my chances with that. The doctors protect themselves by not telling their patients or putting it in their reports. The law should protect us agains such things. >:(

Sad to say, but more than likely you'll never get any help. I have been trying for years to get someone to help me. I too had gallbladder surgery some years ago and didn't know about the clips. Shortly after the surger I started having pain that often brought me to tears. I didn't find out about the clips till at least a couple of years later when I had an xray done and it was pointed out to me. I was horrified that they left these things in my body and I knew immediately that these were the problem because I know how sensitive my body is. I have tried, as I said, for years to get someone to remove these things and resulting scar tissue that I know is there and has been causing me other serious problem. I have gotten absolutely nowhere. These people do whatever they want to us and then we have to live with their actions and have no alternatives to have these horrible things reversed. I wish you well but there most likely is no help out there for you.

WOW this is very interesting I had my Gallbladder removed (laparoscopic) in 11/06 and have been to many doctors complaining of right upper quadrant pain I have had 2 Upper & lower GI's, numerous abdomen ultrasounds, barium enema with air, hip x-rays, & went to the extreme and paid $1500.00 for a full body scan & none of the Doctors disclosed to me that surgical clips had been left in me WHY?????? I discovered this myself by requesting copies of all my x-ray reports and was blown away to see on most of the reports that it was noted that I had surgical clips in the upper right quadrant from the surgery. If this is not the cause of the pain WHY have so many doctors neglected to tell me they were there. I have been told on two occasions that my liver was enlarged as well and have read this elsewhere from another person in the same situation I am in pain as we speak and am without medical coverage any suggestions? It was advised that I contact the doctor who did the surgery. I would say at this point the doctors are in denial or afraid of admitting this is the cause of the pain.

I too have been sufferring from severe pain in my neck since a partial thyroidectomy back in March 2009. The surgical clips were pointed out by my Chiropractor during a neck x-rays. I didn't think much of the clips until now that I've been diagnosed with mercury poisoning. Could these clips be contributing to a heavy metal overload in our bodies. I've been to several Dr's and of course, they tell me this pain is all in my head. Has anyone gotton any relief? My Surgeon never told me that he was going to leave these clips in my body, we only discussed the removal. Has anyone talked to an attorney? Is it worth pursuing?

I too have had gallbladder surgery and have 1 clip in that area and one that the surgeon dropped inside my body and never retrieved!!!! I was also told this could never be the cause of my pain!!! However I can't even wear a surgical steel watch or any Karat gold or silver because my body rejects it, it turns me green and the item tarnishes horribly. I have a solid 14K gold watch that looks like I got it out of a bubble gum machine it is so tarnished!! But doctors say oh it can't be the cause of your problem! The 2 clips have been there for 16yrs and were found last week after CT scan and an XRAY, my doctor came in and stated we have a complex situation here then in the next breath says oh its nothing to worry about surgeons do it all the time, they use them to clap off vessels etc. and they sometimes drop them too. UGH!!