I am a 22 year old college student who about 4 weeks ago developed what felt like indigestion after eating and I began taking antacids. Well I started having stabbing pain under my ribcage on the right side. It feels like someone is stabbing me and the pain runs into my back. What feels very strange is when I sit back it feels like I have a softball or something stuck under my ribs..like I am leaning against it...very uncomfortable.

I went to my doctor who immediately became concerned and sent me to a GI doctor the same day. Blood work came out fine, and I have had 2 gallbladder ultrasounds which also were negative. The GI doctor recommended an endoscopy to check my stomach and I do have a little mild gastritis *which I am taking prescribed meds for* and yet I am still in terrible pain. I stay nauseous or when I eat fatty or spicy foods I pay a very painful price.

Next step is a Hida scan. The doctor is suppose to call Monday or Tuesday to schedule this. I am just so tired of pain and since everything has come back normal, I am scared the scan will also come back normal..and I will be forced to live with this pain. I am tired of feeling like something is stuck under my ribs. Its awful It makes me not even want to go to school or work and those are both very important to me. What should I do if the scan does come back negative..is there anyone in this same boat?? I constantly ache and just feel all over awful.

I am scheduled for a HIDA scan on the 20th..but if it comes out normal I do not know what to do.

I am SO tired of pain and just want relief.

Heather

any tips or ideas??

I had somewhat the same problem, I went to the hospital back in May 2006 with stomach pains. Everything was normal they sent me home, came back the next day and I had pancreatitis. They for sure thought I had gallstones or something wrong with my gallbladder because I had previously had a contracted gallbladder.. Well long story short. I was in the hospital for 3 months no eating because the pancreatitis and they couldn't find the cause, no diseases or illnesses and the gallbladder "seemed healthy" I had about 3 ultrasounds and 3 hida scans. All came back normal. Then in January of 2007 they wanted to retest for a hida scan because I now have Chronic Pancreatitis and wanted to see why I still suffer so bad. Well thank God for someone saying I shouldn't have a hida scan done before an ultrasound they saw stones. I had it removed May 2007 but was too late for my pancreas and my pancreatitis I still suffer. If you really feel that sick I suggest getting your pancreas checked if the hida scan does come out normal. Gallbladder problems are leading cause for pancreatitis, Best of luck to you!

Strange your name is Heather too and describing my very own sypmtoms. I have been having the feeling of something stuck under my right ribcage for some time now... six months or more. My mom told me it was just "sludge" from my gallbladder, something she had in her thirties (I'm 34) and it would pass. I tried to ignore it. Sometimes it would go away for weeks but it would always return. One night I ate a pretty big dinner and within 45 minutes I threw up and I thought I was going to die. It was like I was fading from reality... or more mildly, like I was going to faint. I was having heart palpitations as well and repeated felt like I was going to faint. Went to the ER and was diagnosed with a vasovagal reaction brought on by stress and sent home with anti-anxiety meds. Had a few other attacks like that and bad indigestions (food will sit in my stomach for a VERY long time) and ended up going to a GI dr. Ultrasound was fine. Went to my gyn to check my hormone levels, thyroid, female, etc. All blood work was fine. Went to an internal medicine dr. He did another ultrasound which showed my gallbladder was fine, or rather, had no stones. I have a HIDA scan on 9/28. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of these symptoms because I'm miserable. I'm tired and nauseous. I feel like there's a lump in my throat all the time and, yes, that "softball" is still firmly lodged under my right rib. I hope you get to the bottom of your issues as well. I'll let you know what my HIDA test has to say.

Best of luck to you,
Heather

Berberis vulgaris. I bought some for my grandmother (who can't have the surgery and is in excruciating pain). I suppose they will just keep her screwed up on pills until she dies like that dam nursing home did to her roommate (rip). I read great things about this. It's poisonous in very large amounts, but otherwise has lots of benefits. Anytime you don't trust what your doctor has to say (which rarely shouldn't be the case imo) search your problem along with the word "homeopathic." Hope all went well

I have severe chest pains - like a heart attack.  I had endoscopy and I've been hospitalized for unstable angina, done the stress test and ultra sound on my heart and its' fine.  I just had ultrasound on my gall bladder and it was difficult to see so they scheduled me for HIDA scan.  I can't take many more of these attacks - although I'm grateful that it's not my heart.  The next step will be some test to see if I have esophogeal spasms.  Amazing what our digestive system can do to us.  Best wishes to all of you suffering any pain or symptoms.  I hope your diagnosis and relief comes soon.   Shirle

Check for painful muscle knots in your chest under the wire of your bra, these caused horrific chest pains for me that would leave me breathless.

Ivy

What ended up the outcome of the hida scan. Finally read someone else with the softball. Specialist convinced it was constipation ( I new otherwise) but his statement "Well, after 30,000 patients, I could be wrong". Seeing him tomorrow to review Hida Scan that was done 3 weeks ago and I had to phone for follow up as they are very busy! New referral would take 3 months to get in!
Holy man the pain on one occasion last week had me at urgent care....gave me morphine as I was scheduled for Hida the following week. I understand if you do not have blood work showing infection and/or a yellow color to your skin, it is not an emergency.

Hope you got answers, or relief. I am currently going through the same thing. Pains in my side, sometimes feels like a baby kicking me under my ribs...etc. all my tests came back normal too, even the HIDA scan! I have all the symptoms of having problems with my gall bladder, yet everything tested normal. Next, I'm having the scope done to see if there's a different underlying issue. What did your HIDA scan show? Hope you're feeling better!

Hi Heather,
Were you ever able to get to the bottom of your health issue? I am experiencing exactly what you are describing. Blood work and ultrasound both came back normal. I had a Pipida (gallbladder) Scan on Friday and will get results next week. I'm worried it too will come back normal and no answers as I have been reading that has been the case in a lot of gallbladder issues.
Hope you are feeling better!
Thanks, Katie

Did you ever figure out what the problem is? I'm having similar symptoms, all point to gallbladder. I've also had a HIDA and the EF was 98.4% which is apparently high but the NP that ordered it didn't seem to think it was a problem. So of course "Dr. Google" comes up with the possibility of and overactive gallbladder. I see the NP again tomorrow to discuss what comes next. Hopefully he'll ship me to a Gastroenterologist who might understand EFs a little better.

Hello, I’m experiencing much similar symptoms. I’m just wondering if you found out what was wrong then? I’m about to go crazy all these tests keep coming back normal and I’ve been going through constant health issues related for years.

Hello I'm going through the same thing you're going through. I go oo Friday for a hida scan this Friday. How long did the test last cause i've never had one and I'm scared . Heather did you find out what your problem was. Joe you get well soon. Vera

Just wanted to add that I am suffering from something like this currently and they have done HIDA and ultrasound and found nothing and they are now doing a CT scan to check for cancer just in case but that aside it occurs to me what it could be.
What about a damaged pancreas that has stopped producing most if not all of the enzymes when its called to send them after you eat?
Needless to say if my CT comes back fine next week I will then ask them to check my enzyme levels as well as the pancreas functioning itself.

I just had a hida scan on Monday March 19th 2018 and I am in the same boat and I just got the phone call that everything was neg I am @ lost of words and I am so tired of all this pain so I have no idea what the next step is