Are there any cystic fibrosis patients here? I would like to speak with someone who has this illness, so that I would know what would await my baby if I decide to keep it. I know that this might sound cruel, but I do not want my child to suffer and have life far from normal and healthy. Please, doctors said that it can be kept under control, but that answer is not good enough for me. I need more.

I had a cystic fibrosis patient in my house for 7 years, my little son. I decided to not let go of him, and even today I cannot say whether that was a good decision or not. It is a genetic illness; there is no effective cure, only with help of heavy medicaments you can keep it under control. He was almost always under lung infection, and he developed diabetes mellitus. Believe me, it was very, very difficult and stressful, watching my young one wither each and every day, and seeing him die short after his seventh birthday. I loved him, I still do, but if someone offered me to pass through all that again, I would say no without hesitation.

my dad has cf, i am in the process of being tested for the disease, which can in some cases not be spoted until late teens, there is a good chance i have cf. your baby, should live a long and full life, life expectancy is between 40 and 45 atm. he/she will be able to do most of the things kids without the disease.

my husband has CF and he has had a pretty normal life. the worst part that he hated was spending two weeks in a hospital room. (that because he's really energetic!) but i understand why you are worried karel. yes there are more precausions..like they can't play in the snow as much as the other kids and they are more common to getting colds, but as long as you keep up with its doctor visitsand make sure it takes all its meds everything should be normal. they get to go to school, they can have a normal life. most of the meds a CF patient has is pills and vitamins. i hope this helped with your decision.

I have cystic fibrosis and was diagnosed when I was three months old. I am 24 now, and although I have was able to lead a mostly normal life until I got to high school it was no easy task dealing with all the baggage that comes with having CF. I am now in the processes of contemplating a lung transplant, which is not a simple decision.
The treatments, medications, therapies, and surgical procedures to treat CF have come a long way, however it is a devastating and challenging illness to live with, and I would strongly urge you to not have a child if you and your partner our both known carriers of the CF gene. 1 in 4 odds are not something I would mess with when dealing with something like cystic fibrosis.
This may sound harsh, but I have lived almost 25 years with this disease, and if I had the opportunity to prevent an unborn child from suffering like I have then I would do anything in my power to prevent having a child with CF.

I'm 19 years old and have cystic fibrosis. Its been a difficult road for me at times but I thank God for my parents and their willingness to raise me despite all the challenges I brought into their lives. I would strongly urge you to give your child life. I'm not saying its going to be easy, but God has blessed me in so many ways despite the challenges CF brings for me. Some of you may think, "oh well this girl has had it easy". Well, not so much. I was diagnosed at 6 weeks old. Throughout my life I've had to do daily chest therapy @ least 1.5 hours a day, I have nasal polyps, was diagnosed with CF realted diabetes, take vitamins, pancreatic enzymes, as well as several other antibiotics. Again, I'm not saying it has been easy but I'm so thankful for my life and thankful to my parents for giving me life and the opportunity to make a difference in this world.

Karel,

What decision did you make about your baby with Cystic Fibrosis?

What made up your mind?