Hi, I suffer from prostatitis and my doctor ordered a cystoscopy. I would like to hear some experiences, since I feel very frightened and worried. How bad it is?

Hi, I had cystoscopy done. It was one of the worst experiences in my life. No one can like even a vision of an instrument being pushed up your penis, no matter how useful it is for doctor t get a picture of your condition. But, some men report not so painful experiences as they expected. The procedure of cystoscopy is to use a device which is inserted into the urethra via the opening at the end of the penis. It enables the doctor to examine the complete urethra plus the bladder for polyps, strictures and other possible problems. By prostatitis patients it is a practice to use a flexible fiber optic scope rather than the traditional rigid cystoscope.

I had a cystosopy done today and it was excruciatingly painful. Don't believe that stupid description about slight discomfort that is copied on all of these medical sites. It's not at all true. I had the flex scope and they used the Lidocaine Gel 15 ml for 15 minutes. That was like putting a band-aid on your toe before cutting off your foot! This test is absolute agony and I was literally screaming like a Banchee Indian on the war path by the time the scope reached my bladder. The procedure was performed by a very experienced and highly recommended urologist. They paused midway because they said I was about to pass out from the big breaths that I was taking in between screams. My arms were flailing and they don't strap them down so I had to sit on them to keep from knocking the scope out of my doctors hands. It was miserable beyond my worst expectations and that's the God honest truth. David Craig, San Jose, CA

David,

This is much later and I am not sure it will help a lot, but since I just joined I will send it. I had bladder cancer 3 years ago it was removed. Since then I have had over 14 cystoscopies done, they do this every three months to check for cancer. Most of them have been uncomfortable, some not bad at all, but none extremley painfull. The last time I had three of them in a matter of hours for a biopsy.
I wish you luck if I can help let me know.

:-D

Anesthetic gel was only in for about 15 seconds before the scope and it burned for a second and then I felt like I had to pee when the water went in. Burned a little on the way out. Then it was over. Took about 1-2 minutes all told. There was a slight burn first time I urinated but clear after that. It really isn't that bad. Water in the shower or peroxide on an open blister stings worse than this, it's just the thought of someone sticking a rod in your penis that makes it worse. I'm sure everyone's experience varies but all told it's not as bad as you might think -- more discomfort than pain. Surely not something I want to do again, but it could be a lot worse and 24 hours later you'll feel normal.

Oh my dear God. I am a woman, and I just had this done two hours ago. I've had three children and recovered from major surgery, and I swear this is the most excruciating pain I've ever endured. They told me my pain reaction was completely abnormal so I googled and found your statement. I'm still sitting here in shock over how incredibly painful this was and continues to be!!! -Ryan, Alabama