This morning I had an outpatient cystoscopy with no anesthetic at all. I felt a great deal of pain during the procedure, causing me to gasp out loud and twitch my arms (I've never experienced anything like it). It didn't seem to concern the doctor, though.

Afterward, the first time I urinated was quite painful. I drank about 3 bottles of water over the next 2 hours or so, urinating about 4 or 5 times. The blood was gone by then, and the pain was about 75% gone.

I went to bed for 2 hours, and when I woke up, the pain was back, and was much more severe....I was shaking and nearly vomited from the pain. Blood also returned in my urine and after wiping. I felt as if I were urinating glass (with severe external burning afterward). After 4 or 5 times urinating and suffering like this, I called the after hours line of my urologist and an RPA called me back.

He said I have an infection and called in Cipro and the prescription strength Uristat. I took the uristat an hour ago to get 2 in before bed, and I've been drinking a great deal of water again. The pain has gone down to maybe 60%, but what I'm able to figure out now is that the pain does not seem to come from my urine passing, but when the urine touches or hits something outside or near the outside of my urethra. For example, the flow won't feel painful until 2/3 of the way through, or when the last bit trickles out...it seems as if the pain is from the urine running over something. The blood also seems to be "fresh" from something externally.

I am concerned that there is damage to my urethra, although the pain has gone down slightly, it is still there and quite bad when the urine seems to touch whatever it is that seems to be causing this terrible stinging pain, and the blood, seemingly external (a light pink color) is still coming after stopping temporarily this morning.

I am petrified to go to bed tonight, since the pain started after laying down for 2 hours earlier. I can't imagine what kind of pain would be in store after 8 hours. If I feel any pain tomorrow, I'm calling, but in the meantime I'm worried.

Does anyone know what's going on here? I really appreciate it....I'm really scared about what's going on.

I just urinated again and wanted to alter where the stinging pain is exactly. Instead of being outside the urethra, it seems to be coming from just inside, or rather, the stinging, stabbing-type pain is felt not as the urine is making it's way down, but just as it's leaving.

I'm hoping this is just from my urethra swelling and being sore from the procedure, and not from a tear or injury from the procedure.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this :-)

Hi there i no exactly what your going thro,ive had stinging fot 5years now,ive had ops and everthing else done to me,but still keep stinging,ive been refered to london hospital,and now they have have found the problem,ive got urethral diverticulum.The stinging is chronic,unbearable at times.Got to go for few test and then hopefully surgery.I also have had stabbing like pains as well,mite be worth mentioning to ur doctor,hope this reply was of some help.And goodluck.julie

THAT IS THE EXACT REASON WHY I DID NOT HAVE A CYSTOSCOPY EVEN THROUGH THE UROLOGIST RECOMMENDED IT, THEY WILL NOT TELL YOU THE RISK, A TORN URETHRA FROM THE CYSTOSCOPE!!!!!SOUNDS BARBARIC!

The urologist wants me to have a Cystoscopy , I am terrified to do it , He said I have Prostitus.All I hear is bad things about this procedure and will refuse to do it! I don't care if I cant go at all , I will not do it after hearing the HORROR Stories!!!

I had a cystoscopy and urethral cyst removed 5 months ago and still have stinging pain. It has also affected my ability to enjoy sex as my orgasms are weaker.  My uro now wants to do a second cystoscopy to find out what is going on but I don't want to as I'm worried it will make things even worse. I would not say to anyone not to have the procedure as if it is suspected you might have something life-threatening there may not be any other way to be sure. What I would say is, be aware of the possible consequences.   

Please tell me exactly what kind of surgery did you went through, i feel i have the same thing
I had two cystoscopies back to back in about 2 days and It has been about 40 days now and I still feel burning pain and as if i don't have control on the tip of my penis. I went to my urologist three times for this problem and he keep telling me nothing is wrong with me and it might be psychological. I mentioned the diverticulum to my doctor but he doesn't seem to be interested on that. I can see there is small pocket close to penis opening with some laceration. I'm waiting to get a second opinion in about 4 weeks.