I have had urination problems (since I was a kid) and many bouts with prostatitis throughout my life.  Most recently, (4 weeks ago) I had a rectal ultrasound and a cystoscopy just to rule out any major problems, cancer, etc.  Here’s a shock, it took all of these investigative devices to tell me what I already knew, I have an enlarged prostate.  Who doesn’t after the age of 50.  It’s like telling someone “Hey, you’re over 50, you have gray hair.”  I’ve had enlarged prostate issues for as long as I can remember.  Anyway, I’m a ‘young’ 60 year old man, very fit, healthy, 10 pounds underweight for my 6’3” height, I exercise, walk and stay active at all times.  Heck, I even perform in a pop/rock band.  I think young, therefore I am young.  When my mind wants to do something, the body follows.  My Dad lived to be 90, my Mom lived to be 95.  We’re a healthy family overall.  

I have had (and was continuing to have) a full and active sex life, no erection issues and no orgasm/ejaculation issues. . . . . .That is, until I had the recent cystoscopy, rectal ultrasound and a week later, I also had a colonoscopy screening which found absolutely nothing except a perfectly healthy, polyp free colon. Now, I’m not sure which out-patient procedure has caused my newest issue but no matter who I’m with, what her name is, what I do, how I do it, when I do it or where I do it, I can no longer reach orgasm or produce an ejaculation – after hours of exhaustion of trying.  Erection?  No problems there.  Orgasm?  Nothing.  Climax?  Nothing.  Ejaculation?  Nothing.  All of this worked perfectly until my out-patient visits to rule out things.  It figures, I went in for totally non-invasive things and end up with problems.  What’s that old saying. . . .”if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it?”  

My orgasm buidup always feels like it’s 30 seconds away from the big release but I can never get there anymore since the outpatient visits.  Has anyone else had a problem like this after a cystoscopy, rectal ultrasound or a standard colonoscopy screening?  It’s really affecting me psychologically, mentally and physically – not to mention some gals walking bowlegged from the marathon sex activities.  After numerous attempts to gain some sexual release over the past 7-8 days, I now have the world’s worst case of ‘blue balls’.  Heck, everything hurts down there from hours of attempting to have my body produce a natural stress relieving function.  Pre-cum flows like a river, just cannot reach the plateau.  Please help if you have any ideas. Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Please tell me I will be back to normal function soon. . . . .

I have zero authority on any of this as I am no medical professional, but I wanted to say that I really feel for you.

Been on meds before to take care of one problem and of course, with it came other problems including sexual side effects which resulted in being unable to achieve orgasm though arousal apparently was no trouble.  It sucked and sucked hard while I was on those meds.

Did the doctor(s) say anything about how badly your prostate was enlarged and did they put you on any medications for it?  Either for the enlarged prostate or other urology-related issues?  Did they do a biopsy/take tissue samples?

An enlarged prostate on its own and/or certain medications and/or blockage caused by a biopsy can all be possible contributing factors.

I know you probably hate doctors right about now especially after so many diagnostics, but a trip to the urologist is a good idea.

I'm on no meds at all, except for Flomax. Doctor just said my prostate is enlarged, bladder was fine and everything else looked good. he said if it becomes more troublesome, we can discuss options. There was no biopsy taken because no cancer was found in any tests. I've been on Flomax for quite a while but I'm one of the lucky ones that didn't have any orgasm/ejaculation issues from taking it. I have never had any issues (other than the occasional common ones that affect all men from time to time, the ones caused by stress, being tired, etc.) with sexual functionality at all. All I know is that I was fine before seeing a urologist and a gastroenterologist 2 weeks apart for outpatient (supposedly safe) screenings. I went in (with only minor enlarged prostate issues) to just be checked for anything wrong and basically left the out patient center with things wrong. Thats the problem with surgeons. . . .they make money holding sharp objects and gadgets. The human body doesn't like sharp objects and gadgets. Sharp objects, and gadgets ruin flesh and nerve endings, etc. The doctor gets paid, goes and plays golf or whatever they do with all the money they make and then says, "sorry". All these wonderful devices that have been invented to look inside the human body - it's really hard to say if they REALLY help at all. If the human body was supposed to be looked at on the inside, we'd have zippers all over us. A surgeon buddy of mine who stopped practicing medicine years ago always tells me - "if you want to stay well, stay the hell away from doctors!" I have an appointment today at the doctor's office that screwed me up. Hopefully, he'll tell me something that'll give me some answers.

Are you in the UK? I've had the standard colonoscopy which did not cause problems I would think the problem is from the cystoscopy's impact on your prostate. I suggest discussing it with your GP.

Replying to BachMusics' problem of not being able to orgasm or ejaculate after some suposedly safe daysurgery procedures, I can help you with the answer you are searching for as my situation, ( even my age & general good health, having played sport such as Triathlons & marathon ocean swims my entire life & virtually never taking meds of any nature ), is virtually identical to yours, however, I only had a Cystoscopy, ( virtually against my wishes, as the only Urologist I could get an urgent appointment with was very domineering & forceful & even denied me the usual PSA/Pathology tests before going to Cystoscopy stage ) _ so there's your cause. & like your sarcastic comments about Surgeons running off to play golf, my Urologist too bungled the procedure with the only words he ever said to me when I came out of Anaesthetic & noticed my operating clothes were very bloodstained were - don't worry, you should be ok - then he bolted only to never answer his phone, even 10 minutes later when a nurse noticed my poor condition in post-op recovery & took my temp _ 34.8degC !, & i ended up spending the night in an Emergency ward of a General Hospital. That was in February 2007, so the bad news for you & me is - we aren't ever going to get our male functions back...There are extenuating reasons why I didn't persue the Urologist Civilly, so I just have to live with it. However, I did see another Urologist 3 weeks after the bungled Cystoscopy in order to see if there was any long term life threatening/shortening conditions left behind in my Prostate area, but the only way he could do this was with another cystoscopy & at that stage my mind set was that I was never going to go down that path again, however not long after that I had a CT Scan for an abdominal problem & the Radiologist made note of - a lesion in the prostate region, no doubt this lesion was the remnants of whatever the Urologist botched up, so maybe, for peace of mind you might want to have a CT Scan of the Prostate area to see if there are any lesions. It won't cure your problem but it might give you some answers. FYI, you are the only other person I have come across in these last 8 years that has had the same result from a botched cystoscopy... Good Luck