Hi. I have noticed blood in my urine. It was hard not to, because I was pissing blood for a whole day. My doctor told me I may have a bladder cancer. He also told me I should get a cystoscopy. I have already given my urine sample. Should I get a cystoscopy? What is that?

Hi. If you have a bladder cancer, you have to run through some tests. Diagnosis of bladder cancer usually begins with simple examinations. Giving a urine sample is first in the line of tests. The examination may include and internal examination of your rectum (in men) and vagina (in women). Tests used to diagnose bladder cancer include cystoscopy and biopsy, blood tests, chest x-ray and intravenous urogram. Cystoscopy is the most important test. It can be done under anaesthetic, local or general. They will pass a cystoscope (small, fibre-optic telescope) into your urethra to see the whole lining of the bladder and urethra. If they notice anything abnormal, they will take a sample of the abnormal cells (biopsy).