Hello. I'm 38 year old female and I believe I have developed some serious bladder dysfunction. These last couple of months I have suffered from very strong pains located in my bladder.
Not only that- I experienced also some irregularities while I was urinating.
I contacted my doctor and he told me that he can't know anything before some cystoscopy is performed. But, he believes that I could have stone in my bladder. I don’t know anything about this diagnostic tool and, to be honest with you, I'm very scared of it. Does anybody has any experience with this method!?

Hello. I see that you are scared with all this, but I insure you that there is nothing to be scared of.
I had this cystoscopy done last year and it has helped my doctor to diagnose a cancer which is later successfully treated. Cystoscopy is a telescopic inspection of the bladder and the urethra. Doctor uses one thin fiber-optic instrument with a light and camera on the end.
Before the procedure- you must not eat or drink anything for at least 12 hours. Be sure to follow all the instructions because you are in risk of developing several bacterial infections! When it is all done- you should drink a lot of water everyday and avoid sexual activities at least for a while!

U will be totally fine dear, the procedure is not that bad at all. Have you had it yet? I have interstitial cystitis and have had three bladder surgeries and each were fine...I actually had what they call baldder distention with cystoscopy. This procedure was just to stretch the bladder and hyperextend it full of medicine that will act as a mucus lining .....the stuff I am missing....for about three mon ths or so. I have to have this surgery every six months. It is not to cure what I have, there is no cure, cause, reason , nothing, they just treat it the best they can. It is like a chronic bladder infection, constant, painful, highly misunderstood in some areas of the medical community from what I have noticed in my own personal experiences. Good LucK to you . Kristie

A cystoscopy is nothing to fear. Believe me, the anxiety you may feel about the procedure is far worse than the procedure itself.

I just had my first cysto today and, honestly, I didn't feel a thing! It was so quick and easy I wondered if the doctor had even done it ;-). And yes, I was wide awake.

Here's how it happened: first, the nurse got me to undress and put on a special gown. I was seated on the edge of a special bed and told to lie down then put my feet in stirrups (that's probably the most "uncomfortable" aspect). The nurse then dabbed some disinfectant on the urethral area. Then the doctor inserted some lubricating gel to numb the area (no needle, just squeezed from a plastic syringe). She then told me, you're going to feel some water, just like a shower, if you feel you need to pee, just let go and don't worry. So I felt this water, and nothing else...(and never felt my bladder was full, BTW). And I felt nothing I was beginning to wonder what she was doing. And next thing I knew she told me it was all over. She had done the cystoscopy and I hadn't even felt it! After worrying about it for months, and gearing myself up to be brave, I have to confess it was nothing at all. So, please, don't worry, just relax and it will be over before you know it.