Users comments and reviews on article Cystoscopy: Pre and post procedure by SirGan

Thank you the article helped grately with the apprehension of the test I will be having. :-P

I'm a male with BPH. I had a "surprise" cystoscopy performed. I had an appointment to discuss a CT scan, and was informed on short nocie that I was scheduled for a cystoscopy. It was no big deal. I had catheters due to urinary retention several times so a cystoscopy was not too frightening. The numbing gel was inserted and given a chance to take effect. The procedure itself was not bad at all.

The only problems I had were afterwards. You will experience burning on urination, especially if you are male, for at least a couple of days. That's a reasonable price to pay for your urologist to gain valuable information on your medical situation.

Harry

I had cystoscopy under general Anesthesia 3 days ago. In recovery room I found myself screaming and kicking. My recovery period took almost 4 hours. After the procedure I had pain in my lower sides and headache and until now and I feel I am so tired
why

I had a cystoscopy in November when I was diagnosed with IC ( PBS ). It wasn't so bad for me, It was kinda cool getting put to sleep (;
The pain afterwards was slight, other than having a tube up my urethra draining it after the distentation ( thats not how it's spelled, sorry ! ). They won't let you go until you pee to make sure everything is alright, expect blood in your urine for a day or so.

I recently had a cystoscopy in the urologist's office with a flexible scope. I was worried for days

I recently ended up in the hospital for Urinary Retention the worst feeling ever btw. Was givin Antibiotics and 4 days with a catheter. All was well for 6 months and I started having weak streams, so I had to get a cystoscopy. The found a scar in my urethra and had to make a small cut to make the stricture spring open. Ended up at home with a catheter for 7 days I hate those things they hurt me so much. Anyway its the 2nd day after the catheter removal and I almost pass out from the pain after urinating. It freakin hurts so much I almost scared to go now. I just hope this pain doesnt last more than another day cause OMG every time it feels like I just got stabbed.

I recently had an appt. with my urologist and had to get a cystoscopy. I was so nervous because it wasn't planned and I didn't know what to expect. I have to say that the application of the local anesthetic was more painful than the actual procedure. They gave me Cipro to take and it did burn everytime I urinated for a little over 24 hours. It wasn't fun but nothing to be afraid of.

I recently had one and it honestly Is nowhere near the level of pain I expected. The worst pain is the sight pinch and urinating afterwards. Just take deep breaths and stare at the ceiling, make sure to relax too! It took maybe 5 minutes prep most of which I was given a dealt drape to cover myself with for the majority of the prep. It takes max two minutes for the local to be applied. After that it kicks in pretty fast and you are covered again until the doctor begins. During the procedure I was told take deep breaths and don't squeeze on the scope. During it I didn't feel any real pain but more just mild discomfort except for one sight pinch. I only was given local and honestly that's all you need. The scope took about 2 and a half minutes to complete, and was over before l knew it. After the scope was out they had me urinate in a special toilet to measure my stream. There was a moderate burning and was for the next 8 hours. Once I finished urinating and was dressed they discussed what they found. After I left I took some Advil which helped. All in all it really wasn't that bad and was very quick.

Hi I need a cystoscopy done and I wanted to ask if it was bad what kind of cystoscopy is it when you awake and they just put jel on the vagina

Im a 21 year old female and just had my first cystoscopy yesterday. I read mixed things about the procedure so I decided not to worry. Once I saw the cytoscope I freaked out and had a panic attack. My doctor did use a numbing gel which the feeling of that is what initially freaked me out. It was hard to relax after that initial feeling. I thought the procedure was actually pretty painful. All the things I read about "uncomfortable, but not painful" is BS. Although, the tube going in I felt was the worst part. After that, it was easy for me to relax a little. My doctor knew I was nervous and not having it so for me the procedure literally lasted 30 seconds. And of course everything was fine. Now its almost 24 hours after and I'm having trouble urinating, because its an excruciating burning and pinching feeling when I try. I took AZO and I was put on an antibiotic plus I took advil, which none seem to help the pain. Even though Im dreading going to the bathroom its important to try to drink a lot of water and flush everything out. I heard water actually helps ease swelling. Hopefully this pain doesn't last long, and hopefully I will never have this procedure again. My advice- tell your doctor you want to be put under. I feel like my doctor did it so quick since I was freaking out but I almost wished she had been more thorough.