I've just had a breakthrough - the thick white, vaginal discharge is a condition called CYTOLYTIC VAGINOSIS - an overgrowth of lactobacillus.  It is EASILY cured by simply adding some baking soda to a bath and sitting in it for 15 minutes.

Here's a really helpful summary article: http://www.virginia.edu/studenthealth/documents/Cytolytic%20Vaginosis.pdf

The next time you speak to your doctor about - ask specifically to be tested for CYTOLYTIC VAGINOSIS.  Doctors are lazy and they stick to their routines.  This test isn't a routine test.

It has taken me 32 years to finally find out this information after being plagues with this problem for most of my adult life.  I really hope this information helps some of your out there.  Good luck!!

Thanks that has really helped me haha!

Just a quick note for others....I too suffer from this for months and months after a treament for a regular yeast infection....I found that baking sode helped but also continued the irritation. Started using "Pre Seed" and it is a miracle. Found in CVS, Walgreens and Target it is a lubricant used by women who are trying to conceive. It has a PH of 7-7.5 and thus is very base compared to the acid levels of women who suffer from this condition. Insert nightly and carry the gel with you for on the spot treatment....after 3 days I am almost back to normal. Wanted to get the word out and not sure how

Hello anacutie000,
I wanted to know how you are feeling now. You said after 3days you were almost back to normal. Did you ever get back to 100% I just found out i have this and was told to use pre-seed by my dr. I only used it one night (Wednesday) then had spotting the next day Thursday. I didnt want to use it durring my period so i didnt use it again. My symptomes got really bed after a shower on Sat nigh but was better by sundayt. My peroid finaly showed up today monday. I dont know this just started 2 months ago im 31 and now i have this feeling i will never feel 100% normal ever again. I plan to use the pre-seed again when my cycle is over. I just wish i knew how to keep this away for good.

Thought I would chime in. I know exactly how you feel..... and FYI it will get worse right before your period.

This is so fustrating for me as well. I can tell you two things. I had this in 2005. I did not know what it was..It lasted 8 months and then went away on its own. in Dec 2011 I had a yeast infection that then left me with this problem after treatment. So far this time I have it for 9 months but these past two months are almost normal....I have days here and there when it flairs up and then disappears for a few days.

I found that A.

Use low dose baking soda douches twice a week. Not too much baking soda as it can irratate your for other reasons.

Preseed will make this tolerable. When this flairs up Preseed takes away all my pain. I just use a panti liner to use it during the day.

Since I have had it before I have faith that it will go away eventually. Hopefully my faith can be yours. Do give the Preseed a chance. Until I found it I was becoming depressed. NOw I feel I can live a normal life as long as I have the tube in my pocket.

I have been using preseed for 5 nights about 2 1/2 grams per night. The last two nights I did about half baking soda and half preseed. I have also been doing one 20-30 min. sitz  bath per day. As far as diet I will be getting some iron pills today and taking that nightly. So far I have been drinking one to two bottles of water with lemon juice. I drink the water to the neck of the bottle then fill up with lemon juice (about a shot). 

In the past I was treated for bv and yeast and symptoms . Then I was diagnosed by a woman's health specialist with CV. She reccomended douching 2x weekly for two weeks. I am not a fan of douching but I did so once. Then I started sitz baths with only relief no cure. I then started using double 0 capsules and doing baking soda suppositories first 2x weekly at night then 2-4 suppositories daily with no cure. I then took augmentin for a week along with sitz baths no cure. So now I'm using preseed with baking soda & sitz baths. I plan on douching next week 2x. If anyone has been cured by using preseed or anything else please let me know the method of treatment you used. Your help is greatly appreciated.

i too am suffering from this and its horrible ! sex life is just in the dumps and i feel less then a good woman should feel ! im losing hope and this puts a hurting on the marriage. i too have tryed all antibiodics and baking soda, which loosens the biofilm up a little but no releif ! only relieves some symptoms.im now just starting the pre seed ill post my reviews on it soon ! im praying this does it.hang in there girls we got to beat this yet !

So excited to share. After two years of suffering I've finally found absolute RELIEF!! For months I've gone to my OB/GYN with test after test and no diagnosis. My doc just shrugged it off as a yeast infection for months, prescribing pills and creams with no relief. Test for yeast came back negative, as well as HPV, BV and STI. After doing research, I asked my doc if it was CV, he stated that CV doesn't really exist :/ I had strep a few months later and was prescribed antibiotics. After completion, all of my symptoms disappeared and I was given temporary relief until my cycle began, then it was back to the CV norm. I mentioned to my doctor and his response was "Not all women have the same discharge, your test are all negative. Your discharge is just different than other women." I then took an entire year break from sex as I did not feel confident with my symptoms. I tried everything from baking soda douches, Preseed, garlic, aloe Vera, acv; still no relief. Then two months back I read an article about the effects that parasites and yeast could have on the body. I decided to rid my diet of sugar and processed foods for three weeks while taking the black walnut and wormwood complex by NOW foods for two weeks paired with a weekly Epsom salt/baking soda bath and one monthly colonic. THIS DID THE TRICK!!! While this may possibly be excessive for some, I was beyond fed up and wanted to rid myself of what has been ailing me and disrupting my sex life and robbing my feminine hygiene for the past two years. I've finally had a normal menstrual cycle and have not had any CV symptoms since. Im forever grateful!!

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I am going through the same symptoms. For the last two months I've had terrie burning In and outside of my vagina. It feels so raw and irritated. I tried everything from yeast infection treatment to bv treatment and every home remedy possible. Nothing helped. I just recently realized that it could be CV. I have started taking lots of probiotics and took so many anti fungals that in certain this is why im so acidic and I've got an overgrowth of the good bacteria. My doctor has done nothing but throw meds at me. I'm going to get a swab to see if cv is the issue. Does anyone know how long the baking soda will take to work ?? And should I be douching with it ?

Hi everyone,

I thought I would share my experience with vulvar vestibulitis (a type of vulvodynia) and cytolytic vaginosis (CV). This is a long post, but hopefully some women will find it helpful.

My symptoms began in 2012, after having sex with a former boyfriend. We hadn't had sex for three years, and during our former relationship, I noticed that sometimes I had yeast infection-like symptoms (itching, irritation). However, the symptoms were very mild and always went away with my period.

After I had sex with my former boyfriend in 2012, I developed a severe yeast infection -- or at least what my doctor diagnosed as a yeast infection. (Looking back, she probably had no idea what CV was.) My doctor prescribed suppositories and Diflucan (fluconazole). I alternated medications, but the symptoms wouldn't disappear completely. After a couple of months, the symptoms went away, but I was left with vulvar vestibulitis.

What this vestibulitis meant, in my case, is that the tiny vestibular glands that surround the opening of my vagina had suffered nerve damage. No one knows exactly what causes vestibulitis, but factors associated with the condition include chronic yeast infections, chronic bacterial infections, and changes in the pH of the vagina. When anything touches these tiny glands, I feel a burning, cutting pain. This made penetrative sex difficult, but not impossible -- some positions, like missionary, felt okay, at least for a while.

A breakthrough came nearly a year later, in 2013, when a different gynecologist prescribed gabapentin topical cream for my vestibulitis. After several weeks of applying a small amount of cream to my vulva and vagina, I noticed the pain diminished significantly, and I was able to have sex much more comfortably.

My gynecologist at the time was also one of the few in the United States who performs vestibular surgery on patients. This surgery involves removing the vestibular glands. It's an extremely controversial surgery and I ended up not having it. I'm not sure if it would have helped. Apparently physical therapy can help women with vestibulitis. That's not something I've tried yet, but I plan to see a PT in the next two months.

Unfortunately, about two years after I developed vestibulitis, I developed cytolytic vaginosis (CV). My symptoms will sound familiar: I felt extremely itchy, irritated, and raw. I tried taking Diflucan for several days but it didn't work. I applied the gabapentin cream, which helped relieve my symptoms, but didn't get rid of them. After a month or two I saw a GYN who specializes in vaginal disorders and she quickly diagnosed it as CV, not a yeast infection, as I had thought.

I can't emphasize enough how important it is to see a doctor who is familiar with vaginal disorders. The doctor I saw was able to examine the culture on the microscope herself, and, within minutes, diagnose me with CV. There are so many gynecologists out there who have never heard of CV and therefore cannot diagnose you or give you treatment options. CV is an under-researched and poorly understood disorder and it's vital for us to seek out clinicians who can help us.

I've been treating my CV for the past year with little success. Baking soda sitz baths help soothe my irritation/pain, but haven't gotten rid of my CV symptoms. When the area is feeling particularly itchy or irritated, the gabapentin cream makes it feel much better. My fiance and I can't have penetrative sex because it causes me too much pain, so we have oral sex, instead. He's been incredibly amazing through this whole ordeal and never pressures me, but I miss penetrative sex a lot -- I had an active, healthy sex life before all of this happened. My wonderful partner keeps my spirits up, but sometimes I feel depressed, and have certainly cried a lot over this.

My life has been hectic in the past year, with huge amounts of stress, and I think this contributed to the onset of my CV. After living with CV for more than a year, I'm now doubling-down on ways to be pro-active in treating it. This is what I'm doing:

- getting my IUD removed (I have the Mirena IUD, which has worked great for me, but it's caused my periods to STOP -- so I'm missing out on the pH stabilizing effects of having your period)

- using Preseed, the alkaline vaginal lubricant recommended by others with CV (will try it for the first time tonight)

- drinking lots of water with lemon juice

- seeing a dermatologist who specializes in vaginal skin disorders, including CV (seeing her in 6 weeks)

- will cut out sugars and processed food for several weeks

I'll post a follow-up on any progress.

It's so helpful knowing there are other women suffering from this, and to know some women have overcome it.

Wishing everyone good health.

im wondering if you it has gone away for you again and if so, could you please tell me how! i hope all is well

Omg!! This sounds just like me! Do you believe that the CV caused the vestibulitis? I haven't been tested for cv, but have been treated excessively for yeast and on probiotic overload! And have Vestibultis....

Hey you guys. I believe I have CV too. My story is similar to all of yours. Constantly going to a doctor yet never getting any results besides an alleged yeast infections. So I have a few questions I would appreciate of you all would chime in. 1) does your discharge ever have a smell? Is it thick and almost bitter?bi only feel raw down there after sex but never before. The smell worsens during sex. 2)how many does does it take preseed to work? I inserted half a tube last night and a little more during the day. When should I be expecting results & how often should I insert some? Thanks in advance. I feel like I'm stuck between a rock & a hard place.

I've had all of the Thrush/CV symptoms for almost two decades :-( Most episodes of itching / thick discharge / stomach cramps have gone undiagnosed, a few have come up as yeast infection in tests. No one ever mentioned CV to me. It's just not an illness UK doctors know anything about. So, fluconozole and anti-fungal cremes never brought relief in entirety but I continued to use, desperately, over the years. I turned 40 a few months ago and have to say I felt very despondent about the whole deal and it has wrecked my sex-life (I've been married for several years). I was scared to use the sitz baths because I feel like I really do have candida overgrowth and I'm scared to destabilise the environment further. I was using the steroid creme someone mentioned in another comment and this has indeed thinned the skin and made it easily sore and raw. I was thinking about introducing organic apple cider vinegar into my diet when I saw a new product for BV (which as far as I was aware I didn't have) and out of sheer desperation I grabbed it and thought what the heck, what on earth do I have to lose. This product came in vaginal pessaries filled with cooling clear liquid. I was again, loathe to introduce more foreign bodies to the environment but I think I'd started to convince myself, as I do, that it wasn't thrush so it must be something else. There's not much pharma in UK supermarkets so when I saw this product I just grabbed it during an uncomfortable, itchy and sore moment. I don't know if its available in the states and I'm sorry for you guys if it isn't. It's called canesbalance for BV. Before I used it I read some reviews and it was getting 5 stars all over the place. However a couple of reviewers mentioned stinging and a few others said it aggravated symptoms. On one of the replies to the reviewers who mentioned stinging, someone said this is caused by 'adhesions' around the opening, which are themselves caused by infection. I wasn't sure what to believe but I gave it a try. Within seconds, the opening was stinging even more wildly and I was crossing my legs and hopping about. I really regretted using it in that moment. But here's the good part. When I woke up in the morning, no stinging, no itching, a drier vagina, less discharge. So I tried it again and after three times, I found myself rid of the symptoms that have plagued me for two decades. All I can do is pray that this could be my fix.

Merrymaid can you update? Do you think you had cv but the canesbalance helped? I think I have cv and am trying to reduce sugar and drink lemon water until I get to see a specialist.