For the past year and a half, i have had problems with proven chronic yeast infections, and have tried everything from ketoconozole to grapefruit seed extract to try to get rid of them. About 4 months ago, i started using boric acid capsules intravaginally every one or two days, which seemed to completely flush away any yeast like discharge, and create an extremely watery one but if i stop using it, my discharge returns to a very thick and clumpy state. I don't, however, have the severe itchiness and vulval iritation that i had previously. i went to a dermatologist and she told me to stop using the boric acid for a month and have a swab done after the month to make sure that it was yeast, however the swab came back negative.
i assumed this may be because the boric acid was counteracting the yeast outside of my body. but was told this was impossible because it was only used locally.

Now i don't know what is wrong with me. The doctor keeps telling me that my discharge is probably normal without properly examining it. However, for me, it feels completely abnormal. It is too thick and pasty to have sex properly. If i take a bit between my fingers, and wash it under the shower, the mucous washes away and what i am left with is what looks like wet bread crumbs. This is surely not normal. could it be my vaginal liniing or dead skin cells or something from the boric acid?

i barely have a sex life because of this.
please help!

Any news since then?

My doctor just suggested this treatment. I was nervous, now even more so. I don't have an infection right now and certainly don't want to invite trouble. I have had years of UTIs, yeast infections from the UTI antibiotic, and kidney stones. I am good right now, but the doctor said my PH was 5.5 instead of 4.5 and therefore suggested the boric acid.

HAVE they not checked you for STDS or BACTERIAL VAGINOSIS?

Bacterial vaginosis has similar symptoms of a yeast infection, but is ONLY treatable with antibiotics especially intended for that type of infection.

I have been using the boric acid as well and found that the 'bread crumbs' that you describe is the actual boric acid that hasn't dissolved yet. What helped for me was to drink quite a bit of lemon water. This seems to alleviate that problem. I drink lemon water as I don't like the taste of regular water but I presume that regular water would have the same result. Hope this helps you. As you I have been taking the boric acid wvery other day and it alleviates the problem but I get the problem back if I don't use it for a few days. I have been told that it was bacterial and had been on antibiotics for months and it came back and that is when the doctor prescribed boric acid. I plan on going to a naturopath for this problem. I am interested in finding out if any one else been to a naturopath and what was the result.

u

bacterial vaginosis can be CAUSED by antibiotics....and is treatable for some with the use of boric acid....if someone has had something for a year or more, i would assume they have ruled out stds.

Another idea for yeast treatments would be p73 oregano oil. You can put 5 drops under your tongue 2 to 3 times a day. It will also get rid of bacteria. Look up p73 on the net for more information. Yoo

I have the same problem! I've been to the doctor over and over again getting tested for EVERYTHING under the moon. all tests came back negative, she said it has to be the way my body is. I went to an STD clinic and the nurse who examined me said she had the same problem. Thick white discharge that makes sex uncomfortable because it gets everywhere including my partner! I have tried the boric acid and use it because it seems to break down the discharge so it finds a way out of my body. I also use a finger douche in the shower to wash some of it away and i find that drinking alcohol makes it worse, i feel, because of dehydration. I think that drinking lots of water helps hydrate the body and thin out the discharge so it actually flows out instead of getting stuck in my vagina. This is just my personal story and experience! its so frustrating! I think i might try the oregano oil thing too. it can't hurt.....

Yeast thrives in an alkaline environment and bacteria thrives in an acidic environment. For this reason, you usually won't have a yeast infection and a bacterial infection simultaneously.

It's possible that when you successfully treat the yeast by making the vagina more acidic, you then develop a bacterial infection. But boric acid is supposedly the ideal pH for the environment in the vagina. Perhaps some other factor (drinking alcohol, eating lots of sugar, suffering from stress etc.) is making your pH even more acidic and causing a bacterial infection. But if you've been tested and are certain that you have no bacterial infection, I'm stumped.

The other thing to consider is the effect of sperm on the pH of the vagina. I'm not sure about that, but it must make some kind of impact, right?

The only thing that has worked to clear up my chronic yeast infections is boric acid. I've never had the kind of side effects discussed here. Just an FYI to anyone thinking of trying boric acid. I think it's great stuff.

For the last eight months I have been dealing with a yeast infection that I can't seem to get rid of. I have dealt with UTI's and taken antibiotics that have caused a chronic yeast infection that will not go away. I also have been to my MD about 6 times seeking answers to this problem. My labs and cultures have come back normal/negative but it does not explain the thick white discharge. I have also noticed that when I drink alcohol an increases in the amount of discharge. When I clean my vaginal area in the shower I feel a thick film of the thick white discharge in and around my vagnial wall. My MD recommended Boric Acid. I really hope it works. I'm trying it today. Wish me luck.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN-STK2XvgM&NR=1

Actually, I think you have it backwards. In general, bacteria survive in alkaline pH better than acid pH. Bacterial vaginosis tends to be seen in a vaginal pH >4.5, and yeast can happily grow within the normal range of vaginal pH (3.8-4.5).

To the original post: I have been dealing with bacterial vaginosis and yeast since puberty. A lot of the time bacterial vaginosis is diagnosed as normal flora, but it can still cause problems. I think my doctor thought I was nuts because I kept telling her something was wrong.

I've only recently have started benefiting from treatment I found on my own....and it in no way involved antibiotics, which were quite depressing because they would instantly cause a yeast infection, and by the time I got that cleared up, guess what returned?

I suggest finding some pH paper to tract of your vaginal pH, try to find one that is pH specific (somewhere between 3.0 and 5.5). Next, find a good yeast treatment, there are several to choose from. I've tried Candida Cleanse before, and it worked while I was using it. I'm about to try another called NSI Candida Yeast Management that uses enzymes instead of herbs to treat it. I would also get some probiotics, especially ones that create a low pH environment, like L. reuteri and L. rhamnosus. These prevent the bad bacterial from taking over. I would use capsules, yogurt never worked for me.

Diet, as mentioned by others, is important. Cut back on sugar, alcohol, fermented food, and increase water intake.

This post is getting long, so I'll stop now. Some women have a very sensitive balance that is hard to maintain, treating it is a lifestyle change. It won't just go away in a week or a month, at least not from my experience.

Good luck.

I am now 62, but in my twenties I had the same difficulty...all the time. Same track record of things that didn't work.

I made the following decisions that did solve the problem: (!) I got rid of any panties that were not 100% cotton; nowadays I can find organic cotton, but back then I was lucky to find cotton undies that were bikinis. Much later on, I could wear some that had pure cotton crotches, but not as an all day thing. (2) I stopped douching. It sounds counterproductive, but I was washing away nature's balance and replacing it with chemicals. (3) I cut out refined sugar. I was already a vegetarian, but I think meat is also a culprit. (4) I switched to the purest baby soap I could find for washing, especially "down there." (5) I switched to dye-free, fragrance-free toilet tissue, laundry soap, and fabric softener. I refuse to use toilet tissue that is scratchy, like in public restrooms, or offices. I carry my own free of all things wipes in my purse. (6) I became religious about that blasted 8 glasses of water a day. Yucchy ! I got turned on to seltzer water and still drink that much of the time. (7) I switched from regualr yogurt to organic yogurt. I began to make my own as it was just too expensive. There are now several brands available. (8) Following intercourse, I do NOT douche. I do wash up, again with baby soap. I did remain celibate (including masturbation) as I added a new component so that I could see if it worked. Not too long, maybe a few weeks.

It took several months to get all these on board, and to have my body return to an inhospitable place for yeast, bacteria, etc. I can't tell you which ones worked more or less. I just know that I tested them over the years and these proved to be my discharge triggers. It may have to do with Ph, I don't know. All is know is that I've not had the problem in 30 years.

My own personal theory is that I was creating a habitat for "nasties" to grow. In order to rid myself of them, I had to change the habitat to one where they could not flourish. Oh, and yes: antibiotics, upset the balance. I increase my water and yogurt intake, if I take them, and I've not had any problems at all.

Good luck ! I'd be interested if any of these work for you. Do post about your experience.

Ladies,

I have been battling many of the same symptoms you all have for months. I went to three different doctors, tried numerous creams and antibiotics and nothing. I finally went to a holistic OBGYN today and they said that women who experience these things are often misdiagnosed. They checked my urine and they found traces of blood. They think I have interstitial cystitis which is actually a bladder issue whose side effects cause vaginal infections. Ask! I did not think I could have that until the gave me a test called Puff (not sure about spelling). Who knows at least its a start to a never ending problem- at least I have hope again. I will keep you posted.

Loosingmymind

ALCOHOL HAS YEAST IN IT SO DOES VINEGAR AND BREAD. TRY YEAST FREE BREAD AND SWITCH TO LEMONS INSTEAD OF VINEGAR. AVOID ALCOHOL.

This isn't true. I've had both a bacterial infection and yeast infection simultaneously while being treated for a UTI. The bacterial infection actually caused the UTI and the Flagyl from the BV caused the yeast infection!!! :cry: The optimal environment for a healthy vagina is acidic.