I have been researching swolen parotid glands and am pretty sure I have an infection and/or Sjogren syndrome. However, none of the topics say anything about sharp pain in jaw when eating or drinking. I have had swelling in the glands previously on both sides, but this time it is worse. This has been going on for a week now without much change. I can't really afford another doctor bill at this time. Also I have had serious pain in my finger bones when just bumping anything. Is this related? I was also recently on Prednisone, Steroids and antibiotics for a severe rash similiar to C pox. Can anyone contribute?

Thanks so much in advance,
TJ

Hi -
I hope someone answers your post because I have a similar problem, although only occasionally. When I eat or drink something sour, or sweet and sour -- usually something with vinegar or lemon juice in it -- I have acute pain under my ear and extending to the back of my jaw. For example, I have learned to avoid pickle relish and "sour" candies, and have to be careful with lemonade. It does not happen every time but when it does the pain is intense. Otherwise, the gland is not ever swollen or painful. What is the cause?

I had the same problem with my submaxillary gland (a sharp pain whenever I ate something really sweet or sour -- mainly candy). It turned out to be a stone in the gland. I had it surgically removed and I have never had the pain since.

I HAVE HAD SOME OF THE SAME PROBLEM. BUT MINE DOESN'T BOTHER ME IF I HAVE EATEN SOMETHING SWEET OR SOUR. FOR SOME REASON IT JUST COMES OUT OF THE BLUE. I WAS TOLD TO EAT SOUR THINGS AND ALSO DO SALT WATER GARGLES. IT HAPPENED A FEW MONTHS AGO, MY WHOLE LEFT SIDE OF MY FACE WAS SWOLLEN, BUT IT WASN'T EXTREMELY PAINFUL. THIS TIME IT IS. I CAN'T EVEN EAT ANYTHING BUT YOGURT. THE DOCTOR TOLD ME IF IT HAPPENED AGAIN THIS YEAR I WOULD HAVE TO SEE A SPECIALIST. AND THEN I WOULD HAVE TO HAVE IT MANUALLY REMOVED. HAS ANYONE HAD THAT DONE?

What kind of doctor should I see about salivary gland disorders? I already tried an ENT and he thought I had TMJ. I know that's not it so I'm never going back to him again. Can anyone recommend a different specialist?

Thanks!

I'm thinking try an oral surgeon, the dentist referred me to one when I went to check if it was a tooth problem and he said it appeared to be an infected parotid gland. The ENT I went to never did anyanything for me either. Just charged $51 to say it's clearing up. Well it's been clearing up, and returning, and clearing up and returning again. Once my augmentin supply wears out I'm hoping it'll improve but if it doesn't I'm making an appointment with an oral surgeon.

I get this very excruciating sharp pain between the jaw hinge and ear lobe on both sides of my face within 10 minutes of drinking any alcholic beverage. I wondered if it could be hodgkin's lymphoma because I read that some people w/ hodkins have that symptom. But also it could be the parotid gland being infected. I've just avoided everything w/ alcohol for the past 3 years, so it's just an inconvenience. I also must bring a glass of water to bed everynight because I wake up thirsty every few hours. I can do sweet & sour just fine.

Just because I was researching the same topic for my wife, I'll let you know what else I've found (if you haven't already found it).

The largest salivary gland, the parotid gland is located underneath the jawbone in front of your ear (where the pain occurs). There is a duct that delivers saliva to the mouth via an orifice inside the cheek near your upper-back molars. Normally, this orifice/duct does not let any backflow to the gland, but if it does, then alcohol or anything acidic can cause the pain in question.

I'm still looking for answers on what to do to help prevent or fix the issue (she'll see a doctor anyway), but I hope this helps others...

my four yr old son, has just had a 3rd bout of swollen paratid salivary glands, but all the drs seem to do is a quick fix of antibiotics! i have booked in to see a specialist, as i want to rule out thru an ultrasound a blockage or stone/tumour. he is quite well in himself, but i do question the MMR vaccine, as it seems to have started after this anoculation???
definitely not mumps, as ruled out thru blood tests. he gets a stiff neck and has no appetite, due to the discomfort of chewing, and last time there was quite a bit of puss that seeped out thru inside of cheek. poor thing. will see what we can do tomorrow. my friend suggests homeopathy, and may follow up on this.

see your dentist. s/he is trained in the treatment of salivary gland disorders, and if not, see a new dentist.

The past year i have also been experiencing severe pain under my ear (left and right) and behind my jaw. This happens out of the blue as soon as i open my jaw and about to eat any food. When this occur, it takes at least two weeks before the pain will totally go away and for me to eat normally. Its traumatic! Im diagnosed to have a SLE and Sjogren but my doctors and EENT cant seem to find a link and a solution to my problem.

I've been looking at a lot of threads about this and the most detailed explanation so far is the saliva glands sometimes allowing flow back to the gland, i guess from the cheek (instead of the other way around). I thought it was just inconvenient, and it doesn't always happen. But when it does, the pains can be quite sharp & intense.

There are a lot of people out there who have similar experience looking for a name for it so it's easier to research.

Is it something I need to worry about. Like one of the previous posters, I'm always parched in the middle of the night and I also suffer from allergies / dark circles. Don't know if that's related.

These problems can be caused by dehydration, TMJ, salivary stones, Sjorgren (sp?) syndrome, etc.. TMJ can aggrivate the parotid swelling as the temperomandibular joint itself is swollen and adding to the pressure on the salivary ducts so that when you chew your joint swells more and the saliva can't flow, you can massage or put steady pressure on the parotid gland to help the saliva flow again. A good ENT should be able to help with the parotid gland but if the underlying problem is TMJ you would need to get that taken care of first with a good oral surgeon. If the problem is stones and its not a total blockage then sour candy and the like may help force the stone out but this method is painful and not for the faint of heart. It is best to find a reputable ENT first and work your way from there.

Hi. This looks like an old topic, but I was researching pain in parotid gland and found you. I have been having similar problems and have seen 2 dentists and and oral surgeon. None of them seem to know what is wrong. One suggestion is neuralgia, but I am really not sure about that after researching it. I really feel it is a stone in the salivary gland, but a CAT scan or MRI is out of the question as I don't have Insurance.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what happened with your pains? Did you get them resolved? I would be very interested to hear what happened..

Thanks so much..even these expensive medics havn't got all the answers......I really really hope I hear from someone.... 8-|

I had strong pain and swelling in the area of my parotid gland. I went to see my doctor and she recommended I drink plenty of water and drink lemon juice several times a day. It was extremely painful but it worked. Give it a try.