I had my gallbladder removed and they inserted a stent into my biliary duct. I was later told that the only reason a surgeon would need to place a stent in the biliary duct during or after an endoscopic gallbladder removal surgery is if there was a mistake, an injury during surgery.
Is this so?

If you have had your gallbladder removed, did you have to have a stent placed in your biliary duct, and then have to set an appointment to come back and have it removed later?

Is this a common occurence?

Thanks in advance!

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hi, I'm not sure on why they put a stent in for you, so I can't help there, sorry! But I had a stent put in during a ERCP, because some stones had gotten into my bile duct. The surgeon said that the stent is very small and will eventually come out on its own. I don't have to have it removed.

I had my gallbladder removed also...the next day i was in terrible pain, the nurse said "oh just get up its just gas," so i walked and walked around not even being able to lift my feet i had to slide them on the ground to get around. The next day i was still in pain so they took me down to get an x ray, a few hrs later the doc comes in my room and says "well it seems like you have some stones that got loose, we'll have to get those taken out." So again, I was headed for another dose of anaesthesia, i stayed in the hospital for a day after the stones were removed. After being discharged with a fever, I returned the next day with pain. They admitted me saying i had a bile leak. So again...another dose of anaesthesia...the doc said the stones were so big he had to break them, i believe he must have nicked something. I have to go back and get the biliary stent removed. I'm tired of going to the hospital!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i went in to have gallbladder removed/gallstones.i went home the same day(a thursday) but got rushed back via ambulance in excruciating pain on the tuesday morning.i was given pain releif and a scan and was taken back into surgery after finding bile and blood leaking into my abdomen.i had repairs done and a drain fitted but was taken down again the day after this to have a stent fitted as there were still problems.two operations and a insertion of a stent within 6 days not good.that was end april/beginning of may still awaiting appointment to have stent removed,haven't reminded health authority as not keen to go back to hospital even for something as simple as removing the stent after all the gallbladder removal was supposed to be simple and straight forward!Code:

I had laposcopic gallbladder surgery on a Monday and was let go by the next day. By Thursday at noon I was back at the ER w/ the nausea and pain. They rain a lot of test and figured out that the bile duct to my liver either tore or was nicked during surgery, but since the surgeon who did the surgery was on vacation they made me wait until he returned the next Monday to do the corrective surgery. Which was the full blown cut. Was told they removed two quarts of bile from me. Then I had a stent in for only two more days and was released to go home as soon as they removed it. My problem is ever since then the joints in my knees have been hurting and it seems to be moving slowly downward. Has anyone come across this? Could this be related to missed bile not removed?

I went to the hospital with this severe pain that ive been having for three months, that usually went away after a while but this time didn't. More than one doctor told me it was just my GERD and sent me home with more zantac's. well i was rushed to the county hospital that night and found out hours later i had a gal stone. well they had to determine weather or not my gallbladder needed to be taken out, well it needed to be. i stayed there over night and was scheduled to have it taken out that morning,which turned in to that afternoon. I had my gallbladder taken out and came out with this JP drain bag which nobody told me was one of the risks,and that whole day and next day i was puking could barely move couldnt pee nothing...they had to change my IV's 6 times while i was there because they screwed up so bad they were leaking and i had pains in my left arm, i had bile coming out of my stomach where the hole was for my tube so finally almost 4 days later they told me i had to have a stent put in. I stayed at that hospital for 2 weeks not being able to hold down food not eating not being able to pee and in severe severe pain on a different side the surgery was done at and they released me!!!...and i came home that nite and i was worse and had to be rushed to the hospital, a different hospital, where they told me i had an infection!..i had to go home with a catheter in me and antibiotics i finally got my JP drain taken out yesterday 4 weeks later...and they failed to tell me i have to go back to get my stent taken out, i had no idea and found this out from a friend!...3 surgerys in the last six months, i have a six month old i had a c-section so...uhhh i do not wanna go back to that peace of sh** hospital but i guess i have to.....uhh hospitals suck..or maybe my city just sucks but ya ..a "simple" surgery all those Dumn A** surgeons said...and it wasnt simple at all my pain exceeds what ive written here.

day syrgery for my gallbladder to be removed turned into a 2 and half week stay! iv had stent fitted and noway wanna go back for it to be removed

I had my gall bladder removed in November and later learned that I had a stent inserted in me. When I went to my appointment a few weeks later the Gastronoligist doctor said that the reason it was inserted is to drain your bladder. (I think he tried to explain it to me but of course I am not a doctor and could not follow that good, but enough to know that it was a must for them to put the stent in, and going back in couple of days to have it removed.

I also had my gallbladder removed and had a stent put in due to the gallstones falling into the bile duct. I am having the stent removed Monday. A stent can only be inside you for 3 to 4 months , it can cause an infection in his liver if left in to long.

Gallbladder removed over 10 years ago--no stent placed.  Recently I started having dull ache below my right rib w/minor nausea.  CT scan revealed both biliaries "ditalated," vascular clips left in, material/stones in the stump, lesions on my adrenal gland and cysts on my liver!  I am now facing huge unknown but scary new world.  Think the stents are a safeguard for you and perhaps something I should have had placed.  Not even sure where the best hospital would be so if anyone has a suggestion for that, please share.

I had my gallbladder removed and several days later got a horrible pain. Was taken back to hopital for tests and found I had a bile leak and they had to go back in and put a stent in. A couple of months later I had to go back and have it removed.
I was told that a staple didn't get put in right and it leaked. Told me the pain was like put acid on a wound.
They put those in because the surgeon made a mistake!!!

I had horrible pain in my stomach like I was punched really hard. I could not lay down and breathing was becoming harder and harder to do. I went to the ER and was admitted and raced to have emergency gallbladder surgery. I had never had isues with gallstones or my gallbladder prior to this event. After surgery the surgeon told me they removed the gallbladder but I would need to have an ERCP done the next day to vacuum out the remaining stones from my bile ducts. So I went in to have my ERCP done and to do the procedure you have to lay belly down on an x-ray table. Mind you I just had surgery on my belly no more than 12 hours before. I cried because it was the most painful thing I've ever had to do in my life. There was a stone that was too big so they put in a stent and told me I needed to go back in 6 weeks to get it removed. I went back 6 weeks later to have it removed and all went well...until I was at work the next day. I started having the same punched in the stomach pain I was feeling prior to the gallbladder surgery. After several hours in the ER I had spiked a fever and was shaking profusely. After a CT scan and many other tests they said I had blood clots. I was admitted immediately. The next day the doctor said it was not blood clots after all it was cholangitis, an infection of the bile ducts. I was started on IV antibiotics, which turned into a 5 day hospital stay. I then had an MRI to find out what was going on and it showed more stones. So I had to have another ERCP only this time my body did not respond to the lolcal anesthsia and I was awake for everything they were doing. The procedure was called off. The next day I had another ERCP. This time under general anesthesia. Another stent was placed but there were no visible stones. This stent needed to be removed after 8 weeks. After 8 weeks I went back for another ERCP to have it removed. This was 4 days ago. So far no pain. However, I was told that if the stent does not get removed it will get infected. But if it gets removed it can get infected only that's more rare. Unfortnately I was one of those cases but either way you are between a rock and a hard place. I am also now on a first name basis with all of the nurses on the gastroenterology unit. I had 5 ERCP's in 3 months.

My sister had her gall bladder removed , then had a stent inserted. She had a lot of leaking. They removed that stent because it was too small and caused blockage. We were told she needed a bigger stent, went to have that one inserted and when she went to have that one removed , they postponed the removal because the stent moved, we were told, and she now has to go in to the hospital to have the large stent removed " because they are better equipped for this procedure".

i had my gallbladder removed on the 2nd oct 2012.i also was sent to have a stent put in,that has to be removed in 6 weeks.they pierced my bile duct,so i have also had a drain in for nearly 4 weeks.have only just stopped being sick.i have also been told that it is negligence in there part.

I had my gallbladder removed thru open surgery . Was converted from laproscopic. My Dr did make mistake and bile was leaking and I was rushed to another hospital to have stent placed next day. The stent stayed in for roughly six weeks. Had a long and PAINFUL recovery and still have to watch my intake of fatty food. Wish I had a doctor who knew what he was doing !